• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine and Pookie - The City Mouse, The Country Mou

I need Help!!

I'm making chicken and steak fajita's for dinner tonight along with rice and beans.  I have a great chicken fajita recipe, but I've been searching for a steak recipe.  All the recipe's I've found use either skirt or flank steak.  I know I can't get skirt steak here and I've never seen flank steak.  What would be a good substitution?

Top blade if you can find it. Little triangular steak, grain similar to flank. Tender and flavourful.

Before we left for Goderich, I wanted to make this rustic tart.  The crust recipe came from the latest issue of Everyday Food magazine.  The original recipe called for plums, but I thought the nectarines looked better.  Big mistake!!  It's only the first day of the blog and I've already had a culinary mishap.

My niece asked if she could roll out the dough. 

gallery_28660_3340_172155.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_181221.jpg

I thought blueberries would be a good addition.  All that juice should have been a clue of things to come. 

gallery_28660_3340_266228.jpg

Hopefully, it will still be edible.  If not, at least I have the banana cake.

Hey nice rusic tart! I'm trying to get a job at Everyday Food now, so it's nice to see egulletters using the recipes! awesome start!

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

On weekends I am home by myself as the Husband is at work. He is a full time student during the week and a line cook on the weekends. He works at a Steakhouse here in London. But it does mean I am cooking for one on Saturday and Sunday.

Tonight after it cooled a little I made myself some pasta.

gallery_27656_2498_673854.jpg

Nothing fancy, just some bacon, onions, mushrooms, garlic, cheese and green onions. I made lots so that will be lunch for tomorrow too.

We are planning on going for Ice Cream once the Husband finishes work for the night.

Pookie,

Speaking of going out for ice cream in London - does the soft serve place on Adelaide north of Oxford still exist?

I have this craving for the Jamocha Almond Fudge sundae I used to get there when I was at university.

Pookie, 

Speaking of going out for ice cream in London - does the soft serve place on Adelaide north of Oxford still exist? 

I have this craving for the Jamocha Almond Fudge sundae I used to get there when I was at university.

Would that be Merla Mae? I'll be going there tomorrow after Chris and I have dinner as its on my way home.

So, the fajita's were a success, but first, my MIL brought us back some irish chocolate.

gallery_28660_3340_49495.jpg

I tried one of the irish cream flavored pieces, it was good.

I went up to the grocery store and found some sirloin. The butcher noticed me picking up multiple packages and asked me what I was making, I told him Fajita's and he suggested something else. It was a very thin cut of beef. I can't remember what the name is. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to beef because Robin and I don't eat red meat. Anyway, this cut was done a few minutes after being on the grill. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

gallery_28660_3340_148953.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_313227.jpg

As I said before, the fajita recipe is from Cook's Illustrated. It is evoo, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, jalapeno, salt, pepper and cilantro. I saved some of the marinade to mix with the cooked veg and meat. I also grilled a pound of shrimp.

A Mexican friend from California showed me how to make the beans and rice. She had brought them to a bbq that I took Robin to on one of her trips to Cali and Robin loved them too. She practically begs me to make black beans. Its funny, she never had black beans until she met me. I soak them overnight, drain the water and add new water. I throw in a chopped onion and some chopped garlic. I bring up to a boil, lower to a simmer and after an hour I add a maggie boullion cube. I like the maggie cubes because they are large and soft. I usually bring a few packages back with me when I go to Florida to see my family.

gallery_28660_3340_102608.jpg

For the rice, I sautee and onion and rice and garlic in oil, add water, a small can of tomato sauce and another cube.

gallery_28660_3340_197568.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_41811.jpg

Chelsea enjoyed them a lot. Notice her new Irish t-shirt. Chels is drinking a pomegrante soda.

gallery_28660_3340_26295.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_44333.jpg

The cake was very good. Very moist with a tender crumb. I used ghiradelli chocolate for the ganache. I'd prefer to use a better chocolate but I just dont have access. I brought the ghiradelli back from our last trip to Ann Arbor. I bought it at Trader Joe's.

The tart was very good too. Robin said she liked the tart better than the cake and she is notorius for hating cooked fruit.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Yep, Merla Mae. I hope to make it there this week too. But tonight we went a lot closer to home - Twistee Treat!

gallery_27656_2498_727846.jpg

Here you can see the menu. They do soft serve and shakes and sundaes. In the early summer you can get a Rhubarb Twister which is really yummy.

gallery_27656_2498_1150250.jpg

Both the Husband and I went for the chocolate/vanilla twist cones dipped in chocolate.

gallery_27656_2498_1274281.jpg

And now I am off to bed, as morning comes way too early. I work 6am -2pm tomorrow and have some errands to do so Randi will have to hold down the morning fort.

Perhaps the cut of meat you got was flank steak (London broil) after all?

Although whenever I've bought London broil, it's tended to be pretty thick.

And what flavor of Maggi boullion is it that you use? On this side of the border, they come in beef, chicken and vegetable. I've generally stopped using boullion because my partner has high blood pressure, but sometimes I still use it in some dishes.

Interesting little dance you two have going here. CaliPoutine--you live in Ontario; how did you come to choose your eGullet handle?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I wanted to post breakfast before I leave for my non-food related job.

gallery_25969_665_80817.jpg

1/2 cup of all-bran, 3/4 cup of low carb special K, a handful of blueberries and a half cup of non-fat milk.

I love blueberries so I eat them everychance I get. I also love summer fruit. Ontario peaches just hit the stores and I had two yesterday for lunch. I stood over the sink at my mother-in-law's house savoring every morsel as the sweet peach juice ran down my face.

I'll answer questions when I get back.

Perhaps the cut of meat you got was flank steak (London broil) after all?

Although whenever I've bought London broil, it's tended to be pretty thick.

And what flavor of Maggi boullion is it that you use?  On this side of the border, they come in beef, chicken and vegetable.  I've generally stopped using boullion because my partner has high blood pressure, but sometimes I still use it in some dishes.

Interesting little dance you two have going here.  CaliPoutine--you live in Ontario; how did you come to choose your eGullet handle?

Ok, I have time for one question.

I don't think it was flank because they don't sell that here. My Brother-in-law called it minute steak?

I buy the Maggi in Florida and I use Chicken. I only use 1 cube for 4 cups of water. I know its pure sodium so I try not to use that much. I'd much prefer to use real chicken stock( wouldnt we all?)

As far as my eGullet handle, I consider myself "from" California even though I didnt grow up there. I lived there for 15years prior to moving here. When I met Robin, she gave me the nickname Poutine and I just added Cali on to it as a handle.

I'm really leaving for work now!!!

Lunch today:

Tuna sandwich. I only like albacore. I put some light mayo, green onion and celery along with some old bay. The bread is buttermilk whole wheat. I made it a few days ago in my bread machine. In the summer, I use the bread machine, In the winter, I'll use the oven.

I would normally have some chips with my sandwich, but I was out. I had some celery and some lighthouse feta dill dip. I drank water. There wasnt any soda in the fridge and I can't stand drinking warm soda with ice. I threw one in the freezer and as soon as it chills down I'll have a diet coke w/splenda.

Oliver wants a bite. Where there is food, there is Oliver.

gallery_25969_665_191378.jpg

gallery_25969_665_97520.jpg

So Randi, tell us more about your personal cheffing business.  I feel like I'm its godmother, so naturally, I want to know all!

Abra,

Unfortunatly, there isnt that much to tell. It's no where near as succesful as yours. It's something I do very part -time now. Exeter is very rural and most of the folks arent that enlightened when it comes to good food. I have a lot of work to do on converting people to my way of eating. :rolleyes:

So far this blog has been very good for me. gallery_27656_2498_1359272.jpg

My Mother found these for me. The 7Up one has suggestions for using it as a marinade as well as an ingredient in baking.

My brother's MIL's "secret marinade recipe" calls for 7-Up:

Clicking here should take you to my post with the marinade recipe.

How hot do your summers get up there?

edited because other pictures appeared when they shouldn't have. :angry:

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Fantastic - a Canadian Tag Team (with bonus cross-border trips).

Randi - it's always nice to see you blogging. I'm going to try to keep up this week. We're having the hottest summer I can remember in years ... when it's so hot, do you cook less?

Pookie - I hope we get to see more of London through your pictures. My father went to Western and it's nice to see his old stomping grounds.

About the Maple Leaf Products book in your picture - I'm intrigued. Is it 101 way to use bacon?

This is a fun tag-team. Thanks for all the time and effort.

Peaches..........must go hunting for peaches............

That choc dipped cone brought back a few memories!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

DanielleWiley is bringing her laptop so I can possibly up load some pics and post while in Ann Arbor. 

We're totally wired for on the fly updating - there's a computer right in the room we'll be in, multiple people bringing laptops and an open wireless network. You'll have no problems getting online, assuming you can drag yourself away from the festivities!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I drove to London to have dinner with Chris.

We went to a chinese vegetarian restaurant Zen Garden in Downtown London.

We shared everything.

gallery_28660_3340_88112.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_164846.jpg

This was some kind of fake "chicken". I think it was seitan. I wasnt thrilled with this. The texture was odd.

gallery_28660_3340_226458.jpg

This was some kind of curried noodle dish.

gallery_28660_3340_105170.jpg

dumplings

gallery_28660_3340_125712.jpg

I enjoyed the dumplings. The flavor was really good.

gallery_28660_3340_370403.jpg

They called this purple rice. A mixture of wild, brown and purple rice.

We went to Costco too. I only wanted one thing.

gallery_28660_3340_211655.jpg

Reggiano.

gallery_28660_3340_26857.jpg

Costco has the best price anywhere. Its 19.99kg which is 9.86lb. My friend in Florida always asks me to bring him 2 whenever I go back. This will last us about 3 months.

About the Maple Leaf Products book in your picture - I'm intrigued.  Is it 101 way to use bacon?

It's more of a general "Meat" cook Book. The publishing date is 1933. The nice part is that it has meat cut pages that show all of the different cuts of beef, pork, veal and lamb. I actually use it quite a bit.

Today I had some Doctors appts so I didn't get to eat breakfast or lunch. But dinner made up for it! I really liked the "Chicken" even if Randi didnt. I have been to that place a few times now and really like it.

Because it is so hot I dragged the husband out to our local Gelato place. (Ha! Local place.... It's one of the only places in London that serves Gelato. We are just lucky that it is less than 3 blocks away.

gallery_27656_2498_1372367.jpg

They have been in business for about 3 years now and each year get bigger and better. The paninis are great too!

Here you can see the inside with the cold case.

gallery_27656_2498_1308834.jpg

There are lots and lots of flavours and most days I go for the Rum and Raisin or the Dark Chocolate. But again, because of the stinking heat they are too heavy.

I had Green apple and Peach.

gallery_27656_2498_1170276.jpg

And the Husband had Mango and Lemon.

gallery_27656_2498_1480036.jpg

Then we went home to sweat some more.

(I did pick up a wheel of Brie when I went to Costco with Randi. We don't have a membership as we are in an apartment and have no room to store stuff. )

Randi, I'm glad you're blogging again, I truly enjoyed your first blog. I envy you your Penzey's shipments. Now that we live Oz, I can't just drive there and pick up stuff which is a bummer.

Pookie, welcome to blogging and thanks for taking the time.

Both of you have adorable pets!

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Because its so freaking hot and humid( its still 84f at 9pm) Robin and I are going to the beach tomorrow evening for a picnic and a swim. We shuffled some things around and we're now having guests for dinner on Wednesday.

I want to make a couple salads to take to the beach. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a few stipulations though.

1. no tomatoes or beef

2. readily availble ingredients, nothing too exotic because our supermarket just doesnt carry that type of stuff.

ps: I really wish we had a Whole Foods where I could just run in and pick up some stuff. It's so hot I dont even feel like cooking.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)