• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sabor

Cook456

Sabor Latin Bistro opened a few weeks ago in Hawthorne.

Upon Tommy's recommendation, I dined here, this evening with a few friends.

Sampled some interesting mojitos and martinis, and shared some tapas and the Roast Suckling Pig entree. Of everything we chose, the Chino Latino Ribs with a soy glaze were the hit of the night.

Other recommendations:

Fresh Watermelon Martini

Guava Martini ( A bit too sweet for me, but my friend raved about it )

Coconut Gelato

Disappointment was the Mango Ginger Mojito. It was a little bland.

I'm looking forward to dining there agian, and tasting the other items on their menu.

Thoughts, pics and conversation about Sabor are also here...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Any relation to Sabor in Edgewater?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

The Mrs. and I had dinner there tonight, and it was excellent. We had never been to the other location, so we weren't sure what to expect, but the place really lived up to the possitive reviews that everyone has given.

We started out with the calamari salad, which was quite good. The calamari was very well fried, and the bananas were an excellent touch. And from a nostalgic perspective, it was very similar to a dish that I would make myself for dinner most night way back when I worked at Zoe in Soho. MY only suggestion would be for them to dress the salad a little more agressively...which I suppose is better that the alternative of having it swim in dressing (and which is the mistake that most restaurants make.)

Then we shared an array of Tapas for our meal. My two favs were the Pernil Napolean and the Yuca Fries; my wife preferred the Maduros and the Empanadas.

The Sangria was pretty tasty, and helped make for a relaxing evening away from the kids. And that, I am sure, helped raise our already hgh opinion of the restaurant even higher

My only complaint is a very personal one....I don't like places that force you into using Valet parking. But we'll definitely go back!

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

Thanks so much for this recommendation. We had to visit someone in Midland Park last night and we ate here based on this thread. Tried a lot of wonderful tapas- will report back later when I have more time. The staff was tripping over themselves trying to please.

• 2 months later...