• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infinity

Vancouver

Passed by Infinity today and noticed it is opened.  Has anyone tried it yet?  Website here:  http://infinitydining.ca/

Cheers!

I walk by it almost everyday on my way to work. I have witnessed the hard work that Alex the owner/chef has put into it. He has been on this project a long time. I am glad he is finally open. I will post about it as soon as I can get in and try it.

Edited by TimK (log)

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Passed by Infinity today and noticed it is opened.  Has anyone tried it yet?  Website here:  http://infinitydining.ca/

Cheers!

They have an advert/promo in the GS, I meant to post when I saw that, finally they are open! Not a late nite place though, only 10 or 11 pm. Looking forward to any reviews.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

very casual Vancouver cuisine in a clean (yet historic) room. Why go to Earls when you can go see Alex....I am so keen because he bakes his own bread!

...ask to see his Combi oven! SOOOO COOL!

I saw an ad in the Georgia Straight for Infinity. Free Chocolate Ganache Cake with Jagermeister Gelato with the purchase of any entree or $15 purchase. I am cool with free dessert. The food smelled great the time I walked by the restaurant. I am going to try and eat there this weekend as I want to give a new restaurant some business. I respect the small owner/chef who takes a huge risk opening their own place. If they can hang in there for awhile I think they should do ok. The area under the Granville Street bridge (North side) is supposed to be developed with a market feel much like Granville Island.

Edited by wildebeest (log)

If they can hang in there for awhile I think they should do ok. The area under the Granville Street bridge (North side) is supposed to be developed with a market feel much like Granville Island.

Is that plan that was submitted to city council back in 2004 still active? What is going to be going in that area? When? That will be a nice addition to the neighbourhood!

Cheers!

If they can hang in there for awhile I think they should do ok. The area under the Granville Street bridge (North side) is supposed to be developed with a market feel much like Granville Island.

Is that plan that was submitted to city council back in 2004 still active? What is going to be going in that area? When? That will be a nice addition to the neighbourhood!

Cheers!

I have heard about this development going in as well from a friend who has bought a condo on Beach Crescent just east of the Granville Bridge. I could not find any information on it in the City development archives.

Edited by TimK (log)

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Cheers!

I have heard about this development going in as well from a friend who has bought a condo on Beach Crescent just east of the Granville Bridge. I could not find any information on it in the City development archives.

This is the plan I think, seem to remember seeing it in print a couple of years ago.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Yup. That is the same plan I saw back in 2004. I didn't know it had actually been approved. When does the neighbourhood get the proposed greengrocers, fish and butcher shops, a pharmacy, cafes and coffee shops? Sounded nice when I read of the plan in 2004. But I didn't know it got the go-ahead.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight we felt like trying something new and Infinity has been on my target list for awhile. We arrived approx. 6PM and were the first to be seated in the place. We started with some drinks, a nice RnB Lager for me and Jasmine Tea for ma lady. After getting a chance to peruse the menu we decided on the Butternut Squash Fondue and Spinach Salad to start. I was a little hesitant about the fondue as im not a big squash fan but it was delicious ... almost too small. Very garlicky and cheesy with little toasted triangles of garlic bread to spread the gooey goodness over. The Salad was very nice as well served in a vinaigrette with mushrooms and bacon. For the entree's we had been given the lunch menu inadvertently and my eye immediately was drawn to the Bison Dip. We also wanted the Sirloin in Peppercorn Sauce. The waitress switched menus and the Sirloin was still there but the Bison Sammy was gone. She said they could make it up anyway.

The nice thing about being the first ones served is that your food comes out blazing hot and fast. The Sirloin was delicious, cooked to a perfect medium rare served with pan fried Taro and grilled Asparagus. Fantastic dish, superbly well done. My sandwich was very good as well but the steak stole the show.

For dessert we had the Pear Tart. Very simple pear slices cut thin on top of some thin pastry, sprinkled with sugar and then torched. It came with a blue cheese dollop on the side which I didn't really care for but overall it was a nice dessert.

Between the Fondue and the Steak I was smitten and I'll definitely be back for more. The service was good, attentive, and anticipated our needs well.

I worry about them in the location there at but if they keep grilling up Steaks as good as the one we had tonight, hopefully they'll be around for a long time.

• 1 month later...

I still have not tried this place yet. I see it is still open which is great. As the development across the street opens and new retail comes in as well as tenants it will make the location better for sure. I am thinking of popping in soon for lunch. The owner seems really nice and apparently from Pao Pao can cook. Anyone else been?

Was there for dinner a few weeks back. The steak was good, very, very good. Perfectly cooked and tender as can be!

Everything else was average at best. May be my own fault for ordering tuna sashimi at a steak place, but it looked like it had been hacked at by serial killer and it did not taste the freshest.

I'd go back for the steak alone though.

• 8 months later...

Thanks to everyone that has come and supported us so far. Yes, it's been a tough location as several people have pointed out on here. But inspite of that, we have made it past our first year, and business is still building.

We've now started to do monthly promotions to help bring in the first timers, which is working very well. Last month's promotion brought in over 1200 first timers.

This month's promotion is a 2 Course 8oz NY Steak dinner for just 19.99.

Hope some more can come try out my steaks, and let me know what you think.

Thanks again for all the support.

Alex Rotherham

Executive Chef

Darby's Pub

Alex I was working at Giardino while you were opening...I'm so glad too see that you've been successful. I'll be in some time next week for sure!!! I'm always down for a great steak.

"Dio non ha creato che l'aqua... l'uomo ha fatto il vino

-God created the water...man made the wine.

• 1 month later...

Infinity Ends on August 20, 2007

Owners Alex and Lisa Rotherham first opened the doors to their restaurant on June 19, 2006. Their dream was to create a neighbourhood bistro that focused on the experience, and friendships, they wanted their restaurant to be more personal. Over the course of the last 14 months they had successfully achieved that goal, and created a great clientele base and many friends at the same time.

While they achieved the social goals of their restaurant, regrettably the financial goals of the business were not met. Their biggest mistake, which many new restaurateurs make, was taking on a much larger construction expense than they possibly could afford. They spent over 1 ½ years and a lot more money than planned building their dream.

“Ironically,” says Alex Rotherham, “we failed due to being undercapitalized, which in my own business plan I had pointed out would be our biggest risk to failure. I just didn’t realise how much capital we would really need.”

While location was definitely a challenge, over the course of its existence, Infinity had built a very strong clientele base of locals. Amongst its clientele, Infinity was favoured for some of its signature dishes such as their:

• Roasted Butternut Squash Fondue

• Warm Spinach Salad with Sherry Vinegar Reduction, Caramelized Pecans, Roasted Crimini Mushrooms & Maplewood Smoked Bacon

• Sweet Corn Cake with Vanilla Mascarpone & Coffee Caramel

• Chocolate Ganache with Jagermeister Gelato

They also developed a reputation for amazing steaks; some went so far to say the best in Vancouver. With a great focus on only the best cuts, using Canada AAA 28 day aged beef, marinating properly & seasoning well.

“To all our friends & supporters, I thank you, and I am sorry. In many ways the last 2 years of my life have been both the best and the worst. I have experienced more and learned more in this time than the rest of my life combined. I have made so many great new friends-and yes, I would definitely do it all over again.

“My biggest regret is that I will no longer be able to serve my regular clientele. I will be sure to let people know where I end up, but for now I plan to take a brief break to refocus and spend some time with family.

“Again, thank you to all our supporters; it’s been a great ride.”

-Alex Rotherham

Any inquiries can be addressed to:

info@infinitydining.ca

or

arotherham@infinitydining.ca

or

Alex Rotherham Cell 604 788 0103

Alex Rotherham

Executive Chef

Darby's Pub