• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curly Fries - anyone remember these?

Anna N

Last night I made fries for me and hubby and they were just great - thanks to eGullet's training - two trips through the oil, salt immediately. But while hubby raved over plain fries he suddenly remembered curly fries.

To the best of our impaired memory these were served at Steak and Burger. They were spiral cut potatoes that had some sort of seasoned coating on them. Last night there was little likelihood that I would attempt them as I had nothing that would cut potatoes into spirals. But lo and behold at a yard sale this morning my daughter picked up just such a gadget - we've tested it out and it works marvellously. So now I can make the spirals but we both remember that they had a crispy coating of some sort on them - bread crumbs? Does anyone remember these curly fries and can you come up with the coating recipe?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Small world -- I was eating some plain fries dipped in a batter just the other day and my husband and I both said "Remember curly fries? I haven't seen them in a while."

They are dipped in a thin batter, and have a little spice to them. I'm remembering paprika among other things... Sorry, no recipe for you though.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

This is my best guess:

Seasoning: Flour, paprika, pepper, salt, garlic powder.

Blanch potatoes in oil at 275 degrees for 4 minutes. Cool.

Coat the blanched potatoes with the flour mixture and fry in 375 degree oil until crispy brown.

Or you can just buy the ore ida "restaurant style" french fries and coat those with the seasoning. I've even bought the actual frozen curly fries too.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Anna,

Here are a couple of recipes I found online for batter fried potatoes.

I thought I might have a cookbook around here with a recipe, but no luck so far.

If I could find the Todd Wilber books of Top Secret Recipes I think the recipe might be in there.

One recipe for batter fried potatoes

Another recipe for batter fried potatoes

There's a woman in California, Devin Alexander, who did a book called Fast Food Fix, wherein she reverse engineers many fast-food dishes, including Arby's seasoned curly fries.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

No home versions of french fries are ever gonna taste like the fast food chains unless you use an ungodly amount of MSG. And oh yeah, beef tallow flavored frying oil.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks everyone. I will be giving these a try and report back.

My granddaughter used this gizmo to peel an apple and the peel was long enough that she used it for a skipping rope! I am not kidding.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

No home versions of french fries are ever gonna taste like the fast food chains unless you use an ungodly amount of MSG. And oh yeah, beef tallow flavored frying oil.

Yeah, but maybe one can get close! :biggrin:

My 2004 eG Blog

Yeah, but maybe one can get close! :biggrin:

There's also the matter of the highly trained professionals who prepare such fries for a living using expensive and sophisticated equipment. Hard to imitate. ;P

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

I get them at Jack in the Box, extra, extra well done, alternating with Jack's Natural cut fries which are now better than In 'N Out fries.

The natural fries still have the skin on and I also order them extra-extra well done.

Carl's Jr. has the spicy waffle cut fries which I keep telling them they should sell with a side of sour cream for dipping.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

i bet you could get an approximation by i) dipping them in egg white, then ii) using a mix of Old Bay, "seasoning salt" (like what you put around the rim of a bloody mary/caesar glass), coat them. this at least sounds plausible...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

i'm not saying i like curly fries (keeping a picture of them doesn't mean anything, does it?), but i don't think they'll ever be as good as manufactured ones... :hmmm: .

i would like to see your attempts!

i think the apple peeler thingy would make the fries too skinny, not potato to crust. but if you like 'em crispy, then it's perfect!

gallery_10108_3240_1042339.jpg

i think the apple peeler thingy would make the fries too skinny, not potato to crust.  but if you like 'em crispy, then it's perfect!

Actually it makes very thick spirals. It takes off a thin layer of peel but then the rest of the potato is made into a spiral that is at least 1/4 inch thick. I am more concerned they will be too thick than too thin!

We are set to experiment tomorrow evening and I promise to post photos.

My 2004 eG Blog

I just learned one way NOT to make curly fries! :biggrin:

gallery_6903_111_53702.jpg

This is the gizmo.

gallery_6903_111_3412.jpg

The peeled, "cored", and spiralled potato. As you can see it is much too thick.

gallery_6903_111_20395.jpg

The finished product.

These were edible but a far cry from curly fries and not nearly as good as standard fries. They amused my granddaughter though.

I dredged them in seasoned flour after the first blanching in oil but it did not produce the crispy coating of the real McCoy.

Here endeth the experiment unless we stumble on the proper gizmo for $1 at another garage sale.

Jason - please say "told you so" very softly.

My 2004 eG Blog

oating of the real McCoy.

Here endeth the experiment unless we stumble on the proper gizmo for $1 at another garage sale.

Anna,

Saw the right gizmo yesterday in VV's in Burlington. I wasn't sure if it was missing a piece or not. I'll see if it's still there today.

Meanwhile maybe someone can post the recipe from the cookbook 'Fat Guy' mentioned.

Meanwhile use the thing you've got for apples.

oating of the real McCoy.

Anna,

Saw the right gizmo yesterday in VV's in Burlington. I wasn't sure if it was missing a piece or not. I'll see if it's still there today.

Meanwhile maybe someone can post the recipe from the cookbook 'Fat Guy' mentioned.

Meanwhile use the thing you've got for apples.

Kerry - PLEASE don't go to all sorts of trouble over the gizmo! This was just a fun thing to try not a must do and a local member has offered the use of a gizmo if I am ever nuts enough to try again. You know I have to be crazy when I am slaving over a hot deep-fryer in a house with a tiny window a/c AND we lost power for some time yesterday so even the fans didn't work. It's not a gizmo I need - it's a few sessions with a therapist!

My 2004 eG Blog

I have one of these, made by Presto

It does a fair job but I also have the spiral slicer made by Bron that will cut from 1/16 th to 1 inch "ribbons" and it does a great job but is very expensive.

There is a spiral slicer made in Japan that is great for small batches, it also does several thicknesses. spiral slicer

There is also the Benriner which has interchangeable blades and it sells for about 50.00.

These can all be used for a lot more than just making curly fries.

I make sweet potato "threads" deep fried. Very nice.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Not that you're continuing the experiment, but maybe the batter should be applied after the blanching but before the final high temp cook?

And, going only on Arby's experience here, but I'll bet the seasoning has some sugar in there, too.

Yes, that's when I did dredge them in seasoned flour but I think they need more of a thin batter. Since others are trying to attach me to the proper gizmo - one way or another :rolleyes: - I expect I shall have to try again!

My 2004 eG Blog

I have one of these, made by Presto

It does a fair job but I also have the spiral slicer made by Bron that will cut from 1/16 th to 1 inch "ribbons" and it does a great job but is very expensive.

There is a spiral slicer made in Japan that is great for small batches, it also does several thicknesses. spiral slicer

There is also the Benriner which has interchangeable blades and it sells for about 50.00.

These can all be used for a lot more than just making curly fries. 

I make sweet potato "threads" deep fried.  Very nice.

Thanks, Andie. This gizmo was a serendipitous find for $1 at a garage sale so I doubt I'll be investing in a Bron!

My 2004 eG Blog

Its definitely a thin batter.

Good luck and wishing you fun in the endeavor ("you're a better woman than I, AnnaN").

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

gallery_6903_111_53702.jpg

Clearly, this is not the correct tool for the application, right? That's something you make furniture with?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host