• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt

Why Cin Cin? Only tourists go there! :huh: It's over priced fake Italian food and has been around for years. They don't try anything new because their cliental are movie stars, out of town business men and American Tourists. There are sooooo many better (and new) restaurants then that, I am curious as to why those are your 3 choices?

Salt is creating a real buzz as a new bistro and I agree that you could probably go there early and try another restaurant later in the evening.

Figmint, I have only vaguely heard of but if you are on a quest for new restaurants I suppose that's a good one to try but there are lots of new restaurants. When was the last time you were here?

I suggest for new restaurants you try:

* Haven't tried / 1-10/10

Rare 10/10

Lolita's 7/10

Sanifir *

Figmint *

Salt *

Figmint *

Go Fish 7/10

Fish *

Rangoli 9/10

New Earls Steak Place? (Brain Block!) 2/10

Century *

New restaurant lounges

Republic 9/10

Ocean Club 4/10

Chill Winstons *

Bardot *

George 8/10

Joey's 4/10

For still youthful:

Chambar 10/10

Parkside 8/10

Cru 8/10

Feenie's 9/10

Happa 9/10

Go Fish 7/10

Nu 4/10

For Italian:

Cioppino's 10/10

Amarcord 8/10

La Terrazza 9/10

After eating there 5 times in 8 days - I have entered a 12 step program.  Seriously - I have had a number of out of town friends rotating in and out of town and Salt has been a big hit with everyone.  Nothing but good experiences so far - I am looking forward to returning once the restraining order expires.

Do they have a frequent tongue eating stamp card that we don't know about?

Thanks FannyBay, incredibly helpful! I make it to Vancouver a few times a year, so I've been to a handful of the restaurants you mention but have never been to CinCin and hear its a city classic. You know that old Girl Guide saying: Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold? Stalwalts don't stick around for long without a city's support. I like to mix it up when I visit.

Why Cin Cin? Only tourists go there!  :huh: It's over priced fake Italian food and has been around for years. They don't try anything new because their cliental are movie stars, out of town business men and American Tourists. There are sooooo many better (and new) restaurants then that, I am curious as to why those are your 3 choices?

OK. A few disclaimers. I worked at cin Cin for 5 years. I am NOT a fan of the ownership, and that would be putting it politely.

Cin Cin has been and continues to be one of the most beautiful rooms in the city, serving consistantly good food with a great (and overpriced) wine list. Their GM is one of the better hosts in the city. As for your comment about only tourists going there, they do a great business from the local clientelle, at least they did during the 5 years of my employment.

I still dine there at leat once a year and always have a great time and great food. They also always finish right behind Ciopinnos as the second best Italian in the city in the Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards( ever if they are more Mediterranean than Italian, IMHO)

Derek

We walked by this past Sunday night in hopes they'd still be open but it was just after 10pm and it looked like the Irish Heather was closed as well. Full of jovial guests finishing up but not taking anyone new. Maybe next time.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 5 weeks later...

I was at Salt - again - and they have added some menu items.

They now have a foie gras parfait courtesy of the team from Parkside. Let me tell you - it is the best foie terrine in the city. Really - its insanity. Salt serves it with a little Similkameen honey as a condiment - insane I tell you!

I was at Salt - again - and they have added some menu items. 

They now have a foie gras parfait courtesy of the team from Parkside.  Let me tell you - it is the best foie terrine in the city.  Really - its insanity.  Salt serves it with a little Similkameen honey as a condiment - insane I tell you!

It's as good/better than the FG Terrine at Chambar? :shock:

It's as good/better than the FG Terrine at Chambar? :shock:

I think its pretty darn good - better then the West version (I had a year ago though) And there are two venues for you to try it - Parkside and Salt.

Salt handled it very well - cleanly and lovingly sliced - brought nicely up to temp so that the butter and the pate were perfectly soft and flavourful. I doubled my heart medicine on my own that evening. (Just kidding)

Have a try at Salt - early in the evening so that you get to linger over it with some quietness that it deserves. Or have it at the bar @ Parkside. Its a Win Win Baby!

SALT UPDATE

With a winter chill looming large we have begun to adjust Salt's menu accordingly.

We’ve added a monthly “Feature Terrine” and this month we are offering a Foie Gras parfait from Chef Andre Durbach at Parkside. We have also added a brine cured, smoked pork chop from J,N & Z deli and a shaved fennel, celery and parmiggiano reggiano salad with lemon juice and olive oil dressing.

We have retained the services of pastry chef Jenn Hette, formerly of Feenies and Leslie Stowe. She creates two desserts for us weekly…my current favorite is the Valhrona chocolate tart with a salted walnut caramel centre.

New items to watch out for are “Daily Soup” think cauliflower and lemongrass puree with a dollop of stilton cream or Grilled Cheese i.e. Isle of Mull cheddar with Guinness Wholegrain Mustard, J,N & Z Pancetta and Crushed Olives

As we flesh out Salt’s menu our hope is that folk will also view Salt as a place for Lunch and Dinner. To that end, Salt opens for lunch from noon onwards on Friday, Saturday & Sunday starting Oct 13th.

Cheers,

Sean Heather

Edited by John Jameson (log)

MAY THE WIND AT YOUR BACK ALWAYS BE YOUR OWN, MAY THE ROAD RISE TO MEET YOU AND SPLIT YOUR FOREHEAD AND IF YOU COULD SHITE WALKING YOU'D BE A HORSE OF A MAN

• 11 months later...

Today's Globe and Mail has an article on Sean Heather and the success that is Salt: here.

Here's a quote:

Want to succeed in the restaurant business? Consider some tips from Sean Heather:

Find a rundown space in a seedy alleyway with no pedestrian traffic or other businesses; replace the existing wood flooring with bare concrete; set up a long, picnic-style, communal table and offer patrons paper napkins instead of linen. Oh, and don't bother with unnecessary details like hiring a chef or installing a stove; buy ready-made food and slice it up onto plates.

Welcome to Salt Tasting Room, a 14-month-old charcuterie restaurant and wine bar in Vancouver's Gastown that has not only played to positive reviews but also emerged as one of the most envied, and unlikely, successes in this city's hyperactive fine-dining scene.

Cheers,

Anne

I tried Parkside's foie gras terrine when I went to Salt a few weeks ago and I have to agree... it's incredible! So smooth and rich...

(Though I haven't tried West's or Chambar's versions. Must add those to my ever-growing list.)

Does anyone know if the Parkside FG terrine is sold "to-go" anywhere?

Find a rundown space in a seedy alleyway with no pedestrian traffic or other businesses

:angry: This is the kind of ignorant Bee Ess I hate, Blood Alley has been an integral part of Gastown/Vancouver for more decades than the Grope & Flail has been printing outright falsehoods.

Find a rundown space in a seedy alleyway with no pedestrian traffic or other businesses

:angry: This is the kind of ignorant Bee Ess I hate, Blood Alley has been an integral part of Gastown/Vancouver for more decades than the Grope & Flail has been printing outright falsehoods.

saw that also, although as one gets closer to Carrall, at least in my life time, the area around the Old SF has, IMO, erroded year after year. thankfully, it has started to improve. when i was back at Christmas i must have missed or just walked by Salt.

officially left egullet....