• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mise en kerfuffle

Fat Guy

Okay, so mise en place means you have everything in its place and ready to go for cooking.

Now, as for reality, what do you call it when:

1. You have absolutely nothing in its place and you have no idea what you're doing

2. You start cooking one ingredient and you prep each ingredient as the others cook and you throw them in and hope for the best

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Now, as for reality, what do you call it when:

1. You have absolutely nothing in its place and you have no idea what you're doing

2. You start cooking one ingredient and you prep each ingredient as the others cook and you throw them in and hope for the best

I was told it is called Indian Cooking 101

No Suvir....its West Indian Cooking 101! :laugh:

Really though....that sounds like someone trying a recipe for the first time and didn't think the whole thing through.

Its more like Mise en "who added those whipped egg whites"! :shock: Or a one pot meal!

No Suvir....its West Indian Cooking 101! :laugh:

Really though....that sounds like someone trying a recipe for the first time and didn't think the whole thing through.

Its more like Mise en "who added those whipped egg whites"! :shock:  Or a one pot meal!

But I cook a lot like that. And most of the time I use multiple pots for that cooking I do in that style. :shock:

But I cook a lot like that.  And most of the time I use multiple pots for that cooking I do in that style. :shock:

No no Suvir....that's my cooking technique. Im always pressed for time when cooking (3 kids) so I try to keep it simple. I do lots of one pot, or pan, meals. Hmmm most of it is spin offs of Indian cooking. :hmmm: Well thats the reason Im West Indian.....East Indian cuisine is also on my little island as well. :biggrin:

No no Suvir....that's my cooking technique.  Im always pressed for time when cooking (3 kids) so I try to keep it simple.  I do lots of one pot, or pan, meals.  Hmmm most of it is spin offs of Indian cooking.  :hmmm:  Well thats the reason Im West Indian.....East Indian cuisine is also on my little island as well. :biggrin:

And many call me West Indian for now I live in the west, even though I was originally an Indian from the eastern part of the world!

:wub::wacko::laugh:

Poor Joke!

But seriously, even though I do not have the kids, I find myself mostly cooking like that.. and I always change and alter and come up with new recipes as I move along....

I think across cultures, home chefs must be doing that. AT least I have many friends from different cultures and this is one thing we do have in common.

Any amateurs out there really prepare everything first?  I am always doing 2.  But I have lots of cute little bowls and dishes and ramekins for it. :smile:

Im one of those crazy amateurs.....I make a weekly menu for home, prep all my meat and chop some of my veggies so that my cooking time is shorter. I tried following a recipe once and after whipping out bowl after bowl and some of my coffee mugs, :blink: I decided to do it this way. Less dishes to clean, since I didn't have my dishwasher then. :cool:

Of course I despise and decry wordplay, but this got me thinking about Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and how he said, "God is in the details."  Could be relevant.

Someone under FG categories 1 and 2 would be a Mise en der No! :laugh:

Erin

et la detaille qui tue?

honestly, i drive everybody else who may happen to be in my kitchen half crazy with my preparations. i know that i'm so messy that if i don't met en place(?), things will end up veeeeery bad.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.