• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe costing software

chocklateer

I have finally caught up with the times and now own a computer! Yay! One of the main reasons I have stepped into the 21st century is that I have a small(very..at the moment) dessert business that is beginning to grow. I want to be able to have my usual and any new recipes easily and quickly costed out so I can give quotes to my clients sooner and without the headache of doing it manually. I've googled "recipe costing" and came up with many many options. However, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations or feed back on the software that they use...Keep in mind I'm a complete novice! Thanks!

D.

If you just have a very small business I think you would find a copy of Mastercook Deluxe adequate. It allows you to enter the cost of all your ingredients and to enter your own recipes. It will determine the pricing however you want, per recipe, per serving, etc. I have used it for about 2 years and it has been perfect. Also, my copy from a local drugstore only cost $10 CAD.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

And, hey, if anyone can recommend reasonably priced costing software for MACINTOSH, that

would be REALLY cool. :smile:

If you have VirtualPC, Living Cookbook CLICK is supposed to work. However I say that as someone who has the software and has only read the system requirements but does not actually run it on a Mac.

I like the software, and the ratings for it are good. $30.

Edited by SweetSide (log)
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

• 10 months later...

I've decided I'm ready. It's time to start entering my recipes into a very basic recipe costing software. I want to spend about 100-200 bucks for this (which I know is very cheap).

I've tried a few (living cookbook, dvo, star chef), but nothing is clicking.

These are the major features i'm looking for

- costing

- sub recipes and recipes

- exporting a shopping list and/or prep list

- basic inventory functionality

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

• 2 months later...
I'm a computer professional. How many of you guys think there would be a  market for Costing software for small businesses?

Anyone feel like getting rich ?  :laugh:

Yes I feel like getting rich if only to open a few restaurants doomed to failure before I finally figure it out.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats