• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

City Dine

TimK

More times than I can remember, I read longingly about special wine dinners, tasting events and the like that are happening in Vancouver that I'm not able to go to. :angry: I've been checking out the menus that the various restaurants are putting out for the City Dine event and wished I could get down there and support a good cause while getting to try some great food. Well.....Mr. Newbie came home a few nights ago and asked if I wanted to come to Vancouver with him next Monday. Hell yeah!! Finally......I am going to be in Vancouver when there is a special dining event happening!!! :biggrin:

It's our anniversary on Tuesday so we are going to celebrate on Monday night with dinner at HSG. It was the first non chain restaurant that I got him to try down in Vancouver and we both really enjoyed the evening. It doesn't hurt that the Hanger Steak and GBP are included in the special either.

I'm going to be on my own for lunch and was thinking of trying Cassis Bistro. Will I feel uncomfortable sitting there solo or do they have a bar that I could sit at? I really enjoy Go Fish and was contemplating going there for lunch but I've been there a few times and thought I should really try a new restaurant. I was looking at the restaurants that are participating in City Dine and of the ones that are offereing lunch as part of the event, Cassis Bistro's menu really jumped out at me.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

More times than I can remember, I read longingly about special wine dinners, tasting events and the like that are happening in Vancouver that I'm not able to go to. :angry:  I've been checking out the menus that the various restaurants are putting out for the City Dine event and wished I could get down there and support a good cause while getting to try some great food. Well.....Mr. Newbie came home a few nights ago and asked if I wanted to come to Vancouver with him next Monday. Hell yeah!! Finally......I am going to be in Vancouver when there is a special dining event happening!!!  :biggrin:

It's our anniversary on Tuesday so we are going to celebrate on Monday night with dinner at HSG. It was the first non chain restaurant that I got him to try down in Vancouver and we both really enjoyed the evening. It doesn't hurt that the Hanger Steak and GBP are included in the special either.

I'm going to be on my own for lunch and was thinking of trying Cassis Bistro. Will I feel uncomfortable sitting there solo or do they have a bar that I could sit at? I really enjoy Go Fish and was contemplating going there for lunch but I've been there a few times and thought I should really try a new restaurant. I was looking at the restaurants that are participating in City Dine and of the ones that are offereing lunch as part of the event, Cassis Bistro's menu really jumped out at me.

I will try and be there to see you. It's been a while. It is my anniversary so I will be going somewhere that night. My kids think it is all of our anniversary so they want to go to White Spot. Maybe some take out for them when the sitter comes over. :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

More times than I can remember, I read longingly about special wine dinners, tasting events and the like that are happening in Vancouver that I'm not able to go to. :angry:  I've been checking out the menus that the various restaurants are putting out for the City Dine event and wished I could get down there and support a good cause while getting to try some great food. Well.....Mr. Newbie came home a few nights ago and asked if I wanted to come to Vancouver with him next Monday. Hell yeah!! Finally......I am going to be in Vancouver when there is a special dining event happening!!!  :biggrin:

I will try and be there to see you. It's been a while. It is my anniversary so I will be going somewhere that night. My kids think it is all of our anniversary so they want to go to White Spot. Maybe some take out for them when the sitter comes over. :biggrin:

What....not going to HSG for your anniversary dinner?? :blink: Hope to see you but totally understandable if you don't make an appearance.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

comfortable at Cassis on your own, definately!

Any participants of City Dine offering the menu out side of the Monday to Friday time periods. Saturday or Sunday evening? I know Rare is offering it on the two Saturday evenings but what about anyone on a Sunday? I have my mother coming in from out of town on the 24th and would like to take her out for dinner and support the event as well.

First two nights of City Dine has seen us full. I think with the change in the weather and this great promotion people are leaving the beaches to dine out at night. City Dine, even with a $35 menu has not seen our average cheque go down, we are actially selling more top end wines this week!

Altesino BDM, Benziger Cab, Burrowing Owl P. N., St. Francis OV Zin, Tignanello 2001, Cakebread Benchland, Osoyoos Larose '03, Fontana Barolo, Carpiento Chianti, Ridge Zinfandel, SF Nunn's Merlot, Sandhill Merlot and Liberty Cabernet.

It would seem that the Vancouver Dining Crowd is taking the savings on food and applying them to the wine. Anyone else have any comments on this local event, or what they would like to see?

I believe that the menu reflects the west coast's customers needs and allows the customers to be wine forward and experiment:

$35 Three-Course Prix Fixe

...add to your dinner a $35 Rare Wine Pairing

| First Course|

Wine pairing ∙ Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blanc 2004

Weathervane scallops ∙ sautéed

savoury clams ~ fennel broth

Cauliflower Soup ∙ white truffle

spot prawn salad ~ smoked steelhead caviar

Romaine Hearts ∙ garlic dressing

bacon rasher ~ sourdough crouton ~ anchovy

| Main Course |

Cornish Hen ∙ lemon thyme

walnut crust ~ golden beet puree ~ verjus vinaigrette

Wine pairing ∙ Benziger Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon 2003

Queen Charlotte Island Halibut

organic carrots ~ chorizo ~ asparagus sauce

Wine pairing ∙ L’Ecole No.41 Columbia Semillon 2004

Canadian Striploin Steak

pepper crusted ~ slow cooked leeks ~ fondant potatoes

Wine pairing ∙ St. Francis "Nunn's Canyon" Merlot 1998

| Dessert |

Meyer Lemon ∙ tart

maple ice cream ~ hazelnut crisp

Wine pairing ∙ Buller Fine Old Muscat

Rare Cheeses ∙ medjool dates

Wine pairing ∙ Buller Victoria Tawny

| Featured Wines by the Glass |

Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc 2004 $19/g

L’Ecole No. 41 Columbia Valley Semillon 2004 $14/g

Benziger Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma 2003 $16/g

St. Francis Merlot Reserve Nunn’s Canyon 1998 $18/g

Buller Victoria Tawny $9/g

Buller Fine Old Muscat $11/g

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Just got back from Cassis . My first visit and I was pretty pleased. They really do simple french right. We ordered:

Starters:

- French Onion Soup - The soup was rich and peppery and the cheese was not overdone

- Baked Brie with Papaya Chutney - Yum! God I love baked Brie.

Mains:

- Bouillabaisse - Very rich seafood flavour in a light broth. They couldn't deliver enough bread to soak it all up.

- Blackened Cod - Wow. Really liked this. The cod was so flakey and served inside a puff pastry style crust. The skin was crispy too!

Dessert:

- Creme Brulee - Not much to say, it's standard Creme Brulee. Not stunning, not dissapointing

- Lemon Tart - Ok something went horribly wrong here. The tart was...VERY TART. I mean I know it's lemon but my eyes shouldn't water when I eat it. Above this however, somehow it tasted, well, like fish. Odd! I told the waitress and she whisked it away. I was comp'd with a chocolate cake which was not too dense and deeply chocolatey.

Was generally happy with the evening. Will go back for the Coq au Vin and the Beef Stew mmmm.

---

Also went to Stone Grill (but did not do the dineout menu). To be frank we didn't really feel the value was there. The food was good but not at the price we paid. Not sure if the hot stone concept is enough to justify the cost. Undoubtedly I would rather spend that money at Morton's and have THEM cook it for me. Regardless I think it was a good experience and I do like the concept of searing meat to my liking on a freekin hot rock. Kind of prehistoric meets refined dining.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I have not had a chance to try any restaurants for City Dine and it looks like I am going to miss out. Work gets in the way of so much fun sometimes. Has anyone other than Fud tried any of the participating restaurants? I am surprised that there is such a lack of posts? Has the event been a bust or well received?

Went to Century on Thursday.

First off, it was rather dark, being dimmer than any other restaurant I have been to. The website shows very nice pictures of the restaurant in sunlight, and it looks amazing. However, at night there is almost no lighting at all, and so it's very difficult to appreciate the decor. I even had a hard time reading my menu.

I started with a Fidel's Choice, which is rum, blackberry liqueur, muddled cranberries, and brown sugar. It was quite good, I have to go pick up some Marie Brizard Blackberry liqueur now. Also given flatbread as a starter with a smokey salsa that had a little spicyness.

Then came appetizers (note I ordered from the menu, gf ordered from City Dine menu). I had the Barcelona Salad, which had some wild greens, maple vinegarette, braised pork bellies, and candied pistachios. The pork bellies were very juicy and tender, and the candied pistachios were refreshingly crunchy, although they stuck to the plate. Girlfriend had Prawns with Black Beans on Rice. It was ok, very peppery.

For entrees, we both had the Spanish Paella. Big disappointment. Had boneless chicken, mussels, chorizo, pearl onions, and peas. The mussels had meat inside the size of the peas. The peas tasted dry in the centre, much like the freezer bag variety. The rice was TERRIBLE, much like a watery risotto and not anything like the paella I think about (it looked like the type of grain used for risotto too). The menu also says that clams are included, yet I did not see any clams. The one highpoint of the paella was the chorizo, which was very tasty and not too spicy. The guy walking around (possibly the owner) mentioned they special order them from a place on Granville Island.

For dessert I had the Limon Tart. It was quite bad, as the tart shell was so hard and dense that every time I tried to cut it with my fork it would send pieces flying (might have been still frozen), and did not make for an enjoyable chewing experience. The filing was extremely sour and made my cheeks hurt. It thankfully came with some delicious ice cream that had a hint of coconut. My gf had the Mango Flan, which was amazing. It wasn't like a flan at all (I think of flans as being custard like), instead like a heavy mousse and had a nice mango flavour. Crunchy coconut shavings on top made it wonderful.

Overall I think Century is ok. Our server (possibly the owner) was very friendly and tried to make conversation with us quite a bit. The Barcelona Salad with pork bellies was great, as well as the Mango Flan. Their cocktails are very good. From what I could SEE of the decor, it looked nice. My complaints are the extremely dim lighting, and a dish that absolutely cannot be called paella.

What a great event...and a great cause. I heard the number 500 covers floating around Rare tonight...but I think we did closer to 350 City Dine cover the last two weeks.

Because of the demand/waitlist, we are going to offer the menu until Wednesday and are going to teir our tasting menu going forward ~ starting at $40 for 4 courses and keeping the $65 menu and adding a $115 menu.

Also, because of the popularity of City Dine and Mondays ~ we are going to be always opened on Monday nights, so the new hours are Monday thru Saturday.

Tonght had fresh sea urchin on the menu. FANTASTIC...but I will start a new thread about that. What a beautiful food.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

The guy walking around (possibly the owner)

Our server (possibly the owner) was very friendly

My complaints are the extremely dim lighting, and a dish that absolutely cannot be called paella.

Sorry, but I've to ask, did you let possibly the owner know what you thought? :huh:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

For dessert I had the Limon Tart. It was quite bad, as the tart shell was so hard and dense that every time I tried to cut it with my fork it would send pieces flying (might have been still frozen), and did not make for an enjoyable chewing experience.

That's too bad. The tart was probably stored in the fridge (not frozen), and the butter in the sweet pastry probably hardened up.

I had a great dinner at Rare. We ordered off the City Dine menu, and had a few extra items from the regular menu. I have pictures but posting links are not allowed, so PM me if you want to see them.

• 9 months later...

We are also doing City Dine at both Rare and Metro. Last year I belive close to $9000 was raised for the Canadian Association of Food Banks. It is a great event and 3 courses are only $35. I belive the website goes live the first week of August for menus and participating restaurants.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

• 4 weeks later...
I am penning up my menu as we speak.

It will happen in Sept.

Neil, I checked out your link and didn't see your menu listed for the City Dine event...or maybe I missed it. It looks like the hubby is going to be in Vancouver around that time again and I'm hoping I'll be joining him and we'll be making our trek to HSG as per usual.

It will happen in Sept.

Neil, I checked out your link and didn't see your menu listed for the City Dine event...or maybe I missed it. It looks like the hubby is going to be in Vancouver around that time again and I'm hoping I'll be joining him and we'll be making our trek to HSG as per usual.

My menu has been submitted, but is not live as of yet.................as I was late.

Anyways, we have some old favourites on there as well as some mussels, featuring HKDave's fabulous Chorizo sausage, and of course, the gingerbread pudding.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

It will happen in Sept.

My menu has been submitted, but is not live as of yet.................as I was late.

Anyways, we have some old favourites on there as well as some mussels, featuring HKDave's fabulous Chorizo sausage, and of course, the gingerbread pudding.

Chorizo AND gingerbread pudding? Oh God, so much for my low cholestrol diet. When is your menu going live on the website? I may have to stop in for a late dinner and get my fix during the event. I noticed that this year Open Table was not partnered up with City Dine after we signed up Rare and Metro. I wonder if that will contribute to lower numbers or just more phone calls. The participating restaurants look good this year and I am hoping to try some of them if I can get away for a night.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, menu is ready for Metro....sticking to our 'by the ounce' theme I have decided to set the menu up as three seafood or three meat choices!!!!!

I am interested to see what happens this year; last year City Dine (which we extended two weeks because of demand) were our busiest days of the year!

Here is the menu we are working on....

First Course

Tomato Mozzarella Salad

Heirloom tomato, mozzarella and avocado salad, pistou oil, balsamic molasses

(or)

Grilled Citrus Humboldt Calamari

Lime-Habanero, coconut and garlic sautéed gai lan

Main Course

Three Samplings From the Land

Niocla Valley deer; Berkshire pork tenderloin; certified Angus striploin

(or)

Three Samplings From the Sea