• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dow see clams with shiso

Dejah

My sister brought a huge supply of Asian herbs from Vancouver: shiso, curry, lime, panadan leaves, galangal, Vietnamese mint, Thai basil. I just started summer vacation, so it's experiment time!

I am really excited about all these herbs. The first dish I made was dow see chili clams with shiso. I liked the touch of flavour from the shiso. Next time, I will add more as the clams cook, as well, I would add more fresh just before serving. Maybe it's just me. I like excess when it comes to herbs. :wink:

Manila clams, shredded shiso, chopped ginger, garlic, chili peppers, dow see with light soy and cooking wine and pig skin choi.

gallery_13838_3332_3104.jpg

gallery_13838_3332_23429.jpg

I also made my first Malaysian curry. The fragrance and flavour of the lemongrass and lime leaves was incredible. I loved this! :wub:

Ayam Limau Purut ( Chicken with lime leaves)

The spice paste called for chilis, chopped red onions, garlic, galangal, lemongrass and tumeric. This was stir-fried, then chicken pieces were added with some water. The chicken was simmered until half done, then coconut milk and fresh lime juice and leaves were added. The whole thing was simmered until the chicken was tender. OMG, I was licking the pot even when I was washing up! That stuff was great on rice. The bathroom scales will be put away for the next while! :laugh:

gallery_13838_3332_9230.jpg

gallery_13838_3332_37326.jpg

I am so happy! :rolleyes:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah,

Your first experiments sound really delicious! Would you mind posting the recipe or link for the Ayam Limau Purut?

And what is "pig skin choi"? The leaves that look like crinkled spinach? What's their Chinese name? (There are so many "choi's" that it gets confusing!)

Ooops -- just saw your message further down, and the response. It's saan choi, which my guide to Chinese vegetables lists as "slippery vegetable." Not my favorite either.

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Judging from the photos, it looks like you got the Korean perilla. (I don't know what it's called in Korean.)

The Japanese shiso is smaller and the leaves are uniformly green (front and back) or dark purple. The Korean perilla leaves are much larger and have that purplish tint. The aroma is slightly different as well. The Korean perilla seemed less pungent, but it's been awhile since I had some.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Judging from the photos, it looks like you got the Korean perilla. (I don't know what it's called in Korean.)

The Japanese shiso is smaller and the leaves are uniformly green (front and back) or dark purple. The Korean perilla leaves are much larger and have that purplish tint. The aroma is slightly different as well. The Korean perilla seemed less pungent, but it's been awhile since I had some.

The leaves are quite large. Someone mentioned wrapping meat with a leave then grilling.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The spice paste called for chilis, chopped red onions, garlic, galangal, lemongrass and tumeric. This was stir-fried, then chicken pieces were added with some water.

Very nice, very nice! I always like curry of all different styles. Thanks for sharing! I haven't tried putting galangal in it. I will now!

Where is the lemongrass? Is what you got already dried and shredded? I am just wondering if you shred it with a sharp knife like I do or you cook with whole fresh lemongrass like they show in some cookbooks.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

The spice paste called for chilis, chopped red onions, garlic, galangal, lemongrass and tumeric. This was stir-fried, then chicken pieces were added with some water.

Where is the lemongrass? Is what you got already dried and shredded? I am just wondering if you shred it with a sharp knife like I do or you cook with whole fresh lemongrass like they show in some cookbooks.

I cut the lemongrass stalk into pieces then threw them into the mini chopper until it was quite fine. Then I added the rest of the spice paste ingredients. It was fresh lemongrass.

Usually, I just cut them into longish pieces then bruise them to release the full flavour.

I used some balacan as part of the marinade for the supper shrimp tonight. WOW! :wacko::shock: What an "aroma"! My nephew said to grill the paste first to get the fullest flavour, but don't let my neighbors know the aroma came from MY house. :laugh:

They have been marinading since last night. I will grill them soon.

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The leaves are quite large. Someone mentioned wrapping meat with a leave then grilling.

Sorry, I didn't realize in the other thread you were talking about Korean perilla. As I recall, the leaves are a bit tougher so wrapping might be a good idea.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Sue-On Mui, shiso (Toysaan: Doo Thloo, sounds like purple beard) can be grown very easily. But they propogate like mad and behave like weeds so be warned. A lot of seed catalogues now carry the seeds.

I'm trying to root some here as a potted plant. We'll see what happens. By the time it takes root, I may well be sick of shiso! :laugh: I'll send the excess to you. :wink:

I wonder if I can "preserve" what I can't use up now in oil? Anyone tried this?

Next week, after all the eating out with Burnaby sister, I will steam crab with shiso leaves laid on top...as instructed by said sister.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com