• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

coconut cream pie

BakerTeresa

Hello Everyone,

I am just a homebaker and no where near most of the experiece on this site. Everything so far I have tried on this site is just amazing.

I would like to make a coconut cream pie from my husband's childhood days. The pie has a creamy coconut center with browned coconut on top (toasted??).

Is there anyone out there willing to share their awesome recipe?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Teresa

Edited by BakerTeresa (log)

Hi BakerTeresa,

Just wanted to say hi, how are you?  Good to see you!

Hi Squirrelly! It's good to see you too! I am doing great! I don't do cakes anymore but now I just bake for fun. It's great to see that you are still helpful as ever!!!!!

Teresa, try this recipe. It sounds like just what you described and I can personally vouch for it - it was the most popular dessert at Thanksgiving, elbowing out pumpkin cheesecake and pecan pie! I truly tastes like coconut, rather than just being a cream pie with some coconut on top! Let us know the results!

I used the recipe from cooksillustrated.com not long ago and it got rave reviews. The filling has unsweetened coconut milk as well as fine unsweetened coconut in it. The flavour and texture are amazing. The only change I made was to toast some large flake sweetened coconut to garnish with.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I used the recipe from cooksillustrated.com not long ago and it got rave reviews. The filling has unsweetened coconut milk as well as fine unsweetened coconut in it. The flavour and texture are amazing. The only change I made was to toast some large flake sweetened coconut to garnish with.

As have I, with the same result. I've also made a modification and added a thin layer of chocolate on the crust for a little added twist.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Hi again BakerTeresa,

Well good for you, it is important to do things that are fun for us!  You have always helped a lot of people along the way and the thing is, you are just always so nice, kind and friendly!

Hugs Squirrely Cakes

Thanks Squirrely! Talking about nice!!! :wub: Yes, we should all do things that are fun!!! I hope you are having fun too!

• 1 year later...

CC pie is an every now and then treat for me. I wonder how difficult it would be to make my preferred style - I like it on the dense side, not light, airy, and fluffy. There are numerous recipes out there, but I can't tell which would be my preferred type. Any recipe suggestions for a dense filling?

Thanks,

Shel (the baking dunce)

... Shel

This isn't pie filling, but the cake filling for the Peninsula Grill Coconut Cake always wins rave reviews - it is a cooked filling (in the style of the filling for german chocolate cake) so you could lighten it with the judicious use of whipped cream because it is pretty intense/creamy in it's intended state as a cake filling....

I like this Coconut Cream Pie recipe from Bon Appetit.

However, in my opinion, the ratio of cream topping to filling is too high in the original recipe. The last time I made it, I tripled the filling recipe and doubled the cream recipe, and made two pies. (In other words, use one and a half times the filling recipe for a single pie.)

Not that there's anything wrong with the cream topping --- that was tasty, too. I just felt short-changed on the custardy filling with the original. It sounds like your tastes may be in line with mine.

Edited by YWalker (log)

I second the Tom Douglas recipe - made it (again) last week and it's fabulous! I only use about half the whipped cream, however (it means I can eat a bigger piece). It sounds as though it might be the kind of filling you're after, too - more dense.