• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the pig out of the bag...

Luckylies

Since you came in at the end, you didn't see Emma blow away the competition with the first dish. She probably had close to, if not the, highest score for that dish in the entire competition so far. It really looked fantastic.

Great Job.....I only got to catch the last bit but was impressed! Now tell us, how did you end up being chosen to compete?

One of the producers had heard from a friend of mine that I wsa a talented bbq'er and a bit of a nut- he put us in touch, and the rest is history! There was a taping that got sent to some panel of casting experts or something and an interview. I'm one lucky girl. I was in the right place, at the right time. :smile:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I just finished watching your episode. I was really pulling for you, and was so bummed when they added up the third round scores. :sad:

I'm guessing that buffalo ribs must have been tough to cook on a smoker--not enough fat for low/slow?? So what did you do to them to get the perfect score??

By the way, I loved your attitude and TV presence.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

You guys are too kind. You're pretty much the only people I told other than my family, I wanted to see how the producers spun me before sending out a mass e-mail type thing, but still decided against it... It was fun, but not for the faint of heart. Thanks for the support. It really means a lot to me.

does this come in pork?

I'm guessing that buffalo ribs must have been tough to cook on a smoker--not enough fat for low/slow??  So what did you do to them to get the perfect score??

I braised them!!!!!!

First I put some smoke on them for about an hour, then I dropped them in some liquid (pureed oven roasted tomatoes and a bunch of other stuff...and then braised them until they were tender...I was really concerned because I wan't sure if I had enough time...but finally they "clicked". Until they relaxed, I really wired! then I relaxed... I was sure the bbq guys had really good stuff coming out of their smokers for the first round, and it was my first time cooking buffalo..but...

:biggrin:

does this come in pork?

Emma,

Really impressive performance..You seem very comfortable on a camera and one can get a sense of your wonderful personality.. You looked like the best cook out there.. Such a smart move to braise the buffalo..

You were funny concerning the Jerk part.. Five habeneros and they are saying its flavorless? And I wouldnt think someone would deduct points for a butter sauce having too much butter..

Congratulations, you represented NYC really well..

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Emma:

I finally caught this episode. What a fine showing! You were a blast to watch, I hope you keep competing and if they do another season they would be fools not to bring you back!

Was thier a long time between plating in judging? When you showed the ternderloin it was a pretty pink, how they say that was overcooked was a bit strange.

Keep cooking, you did us here at proud!

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren