• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the pig out of the bag...

Luckylies

I am assuming your brisket is the cyro bag type. If this is true without the fat cap you are going to go to jerky. If you want to trim it some more for presentation purposes that's okay, but it also can make things worse. I don't know if the rules allow it, but if you are going to ramp up the heat you can always wrap the brisket in bacon or beef fat. You will probably have to tie it on. I would do it about a hour or two into the smoke you have to experiment with time/temperature, etc. The fat wrap will block smoke penetration so you really can't wrap it from the start. You can also put the fat on it when you wrap it so it help flavor the meat and keep it moist, hopefully avoiding the jerky stage. This method was developed for my offset smoker. You can get away with it on a grill but you need to keep the meat away from the coals obviously.

I haven't pulled the water pan when smoking I just brought the heat up. 300-350, although I don't like the higher end of the range because the results are inconsistent. I have never tried wraping the Brisket in caul fat, I may have to try that this weekend.

I watched the series last year. The judges tended to like sweet more than anything, sweet heat got a lot of praise as well as long as it wasn't too hot. It was interesting the groups that tried to show off and do too much as a rule did not do well. Pretty much everyone had good skills and could cook good looking Q. Flavor was, as is always, the key. They were particularly tough on the ribs competion.

I do ribs the bbq way and I do jerk ribs with a wet paste. Both are liked but the Jerk ribs are always blown out. I don't know if jerk ribs are allowed in competition, if they are they bring a whole set of new flavors to the table that may help you set your self apart from the rest. Flay has a decent dry rub recipe, there are also tons more out there.

Fine swine has a ring to it.

You don't want to start a whole east coast/west coast bbq war do you?

I thought Daniel would be the teamate to have. If nothing else I would get him over to taste your entries. Although, I will be in Queens on Sunday.

Since you are putting your smoker into overtime. Stuff some jalepenos with chorizo and shredded cheddar, wrap the pepper in bacon and put on your smoker until the bacon is cooked and starting to get crispy. Why? because you deserve it.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I've been thinking about the 5 hour brisket. Maybe it would work better if you didn't wrap in foil but put it in a pot or Al. pan covered w/heavy duty foil.

Just a thought.

I've been thinking about the 5 hour brisket. Maybe it would work better if you didn't wrap in foil but put it in a pot or Al. pan covered w/heavy duty foil.

Just a thought.

yup, I was thinking the same thing.... :smile: it's worth a shot.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

but thighs are good, and butt.

That's pretty much what we've all heard.

heh, 'que perv :cool:

UPDATE:

I've found a big green egg to practice on! after feeding the my friends pre-wedding crowd some practice pork (40 lbs) The grooms father offered to let me smoke in his egg next week! How generous :smile: I figured since the Big Green Egg is one of the sposors of the competition perhaps, nay, perchance, they may be making a surprise appearance on the show...nice deduction huh? I'll be doing ribs and a whole chicken...

does this come in pork?

Booo yah!!!!!!!!!! finally I got my turbo brisket in check!!!!! still a few (small kinks) but nothing I can't problematize thursday!!!!!! tra la la!!!!!!!!

Today we got the list of meats we MAY be

1.) Country Style Ribs

2.) Pork Butt

3.) Whole Chicken

4.) Baby Back Ribs

5.) Venison Tenderloin

6.) Whole Hog

7.) Cornish Hen

8.) Pork Tenderloin

10.) Beef Brisket

11.) Buffalo Short Ribs

12.) Chicken/Dark

13.) Beef Tenderloin

14.)Spare Ribs

15.)Whole Turkey

16.)Beef Tri-tip

17.) Rack of Lamb

18.)Chicken/White

it's a long list and I'm psyched for everthing except chicken/ white...boring.

Now that i've got a better idea how to do quickie meat I'm trying a butt tomorrow!! finally some success..for a second there I thought I may be carrying around a hex :shock:

If anybody has any idea for these categories I'm all ears!!!!!

does this come in pork?

Nice list.. Looks like a shopping list for a great weekend :biggrin: ... I am a huge fan of country style ribs as well as every other item on this list.. I need to get away this weekend, I will be BBQ'ing somewhere upstate..

Do you think they will come with the Venison Tenderloin.. I love mine covered in pepper and juniper berries.. Maybe a little wine or currant sauce..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I think they probably will bring everything on this list..I'm just not sure which ones my team will get...yep juniper, just what I was thinking...I'm not really going to get into my final preperation ideas here (I'd like a bit of a creative edge come competition day) just in case my competition is paying attention :rolleyes:

Whole hog...I don't envy the person who gets that one!

does this come in pork?

I think they probably will bring everything on this list..I'm just not sure which ones my team will get...yep juniper, just what I was thinking...I'm not really going to get into my final preperation ideas here (I'd like a bit of a creative edge come competition day) just in case my competition is paying attention  :rolleyes:

Whole hog...I don't envy the person who gets that one!

I thought everyone gets the same "meat" to prepare and you are judged against each other. Am I wrong?

Congrats on the brisket.

the show is filmed in episodes, so each episode has three teams competing, with surprise meat of that list I should see two categories; long cook and medium cook. All surprise. I've practiced almost all of the items except the venison and the buffalo short ribs. I emailed my Chef today to see if he had any ideas for the two, hopefully he gets back to me soon :wub: I've decided to stop stresssing by saturday and realax the rest of the way...scheduled relaxation (anal---yes.) They won't let me bring my secret ingredient which would of been thin slices of fatback for barding or larding or whatever. New rule...no secret ingredient proteins...damn. Oh well plan B. Xanax.

does this come in pork?

They won't let me bring my secret ingredient which would of been thin slices of fatback for barding or larding or whatever. New rule...no secret ingredient proteins...damn. Oh well plan B. Xanax.

You're right: if you put a lot of Xanax into all your dishes, the judges will love them.

• 1 month later...

Emma:

Can you say how things turned out? If not do you have an idea when the show will air?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Congratulations!!!!

The Virtual Weber Bullet has a forum section devoted to competition:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/7980069052

From what I have read in the past they have been very generous with their suggestions. What are the categories (pork ribs, beef brisket, chicken.....)?

Need help?

Try these websites

BBQ Forum

Kansas City BBQ Society

Jerry & Linda from Pig Daddy's teach classes in judging BBQ contests.

I believe their email is pigdaddy@pigdaddysbarbecue.com

They are as gregarious & generous as anyone you'll ever meet and as far as helping you with a NY bad ass name, anybody who has a menu item called "Mother Trucker" would probably have no trouble helping you with that.

If you're willing to NY Times register, they were written up here.

These websites are really helping with my learning curve!

Today is 5 hr brisket, more sauce testing, more rub testing. As you can see, I'm taking this from a part test kitchen mode (my other job) and part gung-ho ninja bbq mode-- both of which I specialize in. I'm working at my dad's house for the next few weeks as, it's bigger, cooler, and the smoker is on the same level as the apt (mine is five flights down--and up) It's a sweet apt and the kitchen is 1,000000000 times nicer than mine. For example, right now I have 5 briskets, 2 shoulders, 2 butts,7 lbs chicken thighs, 5 racks of ribs, and a whole chicken divided between the freezer and the fridge- I just couldn't do that at my place.

I've decided on a team name Notorious P.I.G. For a while it was in contest with Piggie smalls and Blue state bbq...but it seems most people think it funny and cute, and says a little about me. I'm still looking for teammates, and it's really not as easy as you'd think, most people have real lives and responsibilities other than winning 'cue comps. I think everything will work out though.

I'm going to try to post pictures of my setup to give you guys an idea what I'm working with.

Please keep the ideas coming tips, techniques anything!!!!

Hi, Emma, wish you well.

I've been cooking barbecue for many decades. I've judged several years at the Memphis in May International Barbecue Contest. I've cooked in it as well. The past few years I've been doing demos for GMC (largest pavillion) at the contest.

I doubt seriously if they have it trademarked, but there was team at this year's contest with the name Notorious PIG. You might want to check into it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

So! This is the show schedule!!!!!!! I hope some of you watch and enjoy. It looks pretty cool, and I'm really happy I competed. I hope to compete again next year :smile: I hope they didn't make me look like a total dork...but that really woudn't be too far from the truth... :laugh:

10/22/2006 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm Round One: Ray Lampe vs Ed Maurin & Lee Ann Whippen

10/23/2006 1:30 am - 2:30 am Round One: Ray Lampe vs Ed Maurin & Lee Ann Whippen

10/24/2006 12:30 am - 1:30 am Round One: Ray Lampe vs Ed Maurin & Lee Ann Whippen

10/25/2006 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Round One: Ray Lampe vs Ed Maurin & Lee Ann Whippen

10/27/2006 11:30 pm - 12:00 am Round One: Ray Lampe vs Ed Maurin & Lee Ann Whippen

10/28/2006 12:00 am - 12:30 am Round One: Ray Lampe vs Ed Maurin & Lee Ann Whippen

10/28/2006 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm Round One: Ray Lampe vs Ed Maurin & Lee Ann Whippen

10/29/2006 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm Round One: Ray Lampe vs Ed Maurin & Lee Ann Whippen

10/29/2006 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm Round One: Mike Davis vs Joe Davidson & Hillard Pouncy

10/30/2006 2:00 am - 3:00 am Round One: Mike Davis vs Joe Davidson & Hillard Pouncy

10/31/2006 12:30 am - 1:30 am Round One: Mike Davis vs Joe Davidson & Hillard Pouncy

11/1/2006 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Round One: Mike Davis vs Joe Davidson & Hillard Pouncy

11/2/2006 1:00 am - 2:00 am Round One: Mike Davis vs Joe Davidson & Hillard Pouncy

11/4/2006 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm Round One: Mike Davis vs Joe Davidson & Hillard Pouncy

11/5/2006 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm Round One: Bryon Chism vs Adam Perry Lang & James Britt

11/6/2006 12:30 am - 1:30 am Round One: Bryon Chism vs Adam Perry Lang & James Britt

11/7/2006 12:30 am - 1:30 am Round One: Bryon Chism vs Adam Perry Lang & James Britt

11/8/2006 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Round One: Bryon Chism vs Adam Perry Lang & James Britt

11/12/2006 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm Round One: Johnny Trigg vs Mike Wozniak & Mike Zofchak

11/13/2006 1:30 am - 2:30 am Round One: Johnny Trigg vs Mike Wozniak & Mike Zofchak

11/14/2006 1:00 am - 2:00 am Round One: Johnny Trigg vs Mike Wozniak & Mike Zofchak

11/19/2006 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm Round One: Bart Clarke vs Ernie Mellor & Emma Feigenbaum

11/20/2006 2:00 am - 3:00 am Round One: Bart Clarke vs Ernie Mellor & Emma Feigenbaum

11/21/2006 1:30 am - 2:30 am Round One: Bart Clarke vs Ernie Mellor & Emma Feigenbaum

11/21/2006 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Round One: Bart Clarke vs Ernie Mellor & Emma Feigenbaum

11/21/2006 11:30 pm - 12:00 am Round One: Bart Clarke vs Ernie Mellor & Emma Feigenbaum

11/22/2006 12:00 am - 12:30 am Round One: Bart Clarke vs Ernie Mellor & Emma Feigenbaum

11/22/2006 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm Round One: Bart Clarke vs Ernie Mellor & Emma Feigenbaum

11/26/2006 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm Round One: Myron Mixon vs Jack McDavid & Sara Horowitz

11/27/2006 2:00 am - 3:00 am Round One: Myron Mixon vs Jack McDavid & Sara Horowitz

11/28/2006 12:30 am - 1:30 am Round One: Myron Mixon vs Jack McDavid & Sara Horowitz

11/29/2006 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm Round One: Myron Mixon vs Jack McDavid & Sara Horowitz

does this come in pork?

Did you get to meet all the other contestants? I see that Jack McDavid, a local Philly restaurateur (owner of the Down Home Diner at Reading Terminal) is in the competition as well. I suspect he makes some mean 'cue.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh yeah, not only did I meet them, but there was plenty of standing around time to chat, it was fun. Not everyone was interested in being social though. My dad was in the audience alot of the time, and was really able to get his ear on tons of gossip and backbiting for me, nobody knew he was my dad! :cool:

I got along really well with most folks, and the ones who weren't into me just ignored me. I hope to be able to meet some of these guys on the circuit some time :smile:

does this come in pork?

• 3 weeks later...