• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Phillips Chophouse - Kansas City

Has anyone been to the Phillips Chophouse in the Phillips Hotel at 12th and Baltimore? 

u.e.

I love staying at the Phillips, but when I looked at the menu for the Chophouse, it did not entice me in the door. Another time, there was a really loud rock and roll band playing and that is not what I wanted to listen to during dinner. Sorry I can'

t be of more help. But I do recommend the hotel, they have great beds.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

UE,

I had lunch ar Phillips a few times (it was 2 blocks from my office) and was unimpressed. Too bad, too, as downtown really needs better food and that is such a great space.

A block or two to the south is Truman's, on the main floor of a condo building (used to be the Kansas City club, before they merged with the University Club). They have better luncheon fare (IMHO) - again, I haven't had dinner there.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that The Drum Room, in the President Hotel, is finally open. I've not made it yet but fully intend to and hope everyone will give them a try. I hear the food and service are good and I really feel sorry for anyone trying to establish a new business with the road construction nightmare going on down there.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

UE,

I had lunch ar Phillips a few times (it was 2 blocks from my office) and was unimpressed.  Too bad, too, as downtown really needs better food and that is such a great space.

A block or two to the south is Truman's, on the main floor of a condo building (used to be the Kansas City club, before they merged with the University Club).  They have better luncheon fare (IMHO) - again, I haven't had dinner there.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that The Drum Room, in the President Hotel, is finally open.  I've not made it yet but fully intend to and hope everyone will give them a try.  I hear the food and service are good and I really feel sorry for anyone trying to establish a new business with the road construction nightmare going on down there.

I know they are trying to kick up the food, they just recieved the "Best of Award of Excellence" from Wine Spectator. So far that's the highest rating Kansas City has since there are no more restaurants with a current "Grand Award". (It's not the best list in town and a few restaurants have the same award.) I ate there a while back, it was lacking, but average for a hotel I guess.

Edited by monkfish_103 (log)

I know they are trying to kick up the food, they just recieved the "Best of Award of Excellence" from Wine Spectator. So far that's the highest rating Kansas City has since  there are no more restaurants with a current "Grand Award". (It's not the best list in town and a few restaurants have the same award.) I ate there a while back, it was lacking, but average for a hotel I guess.

If I'm not mistaken, Starker's Reserve has a Grand Award from Wine Spectator.

u.e.

[edited to add: I mispoke - Starker's Reserve and JJ's both have been brought down a notch by Wine Spectator. Sorry about that.]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that The Drum Room, in the President Hotel, is finally open.  I've not made it yet but fully intend to and hope everyone will give them a try.  I hear the food and service are good and I really feel sorry for anyone trying to establish a new business with the road construction nightmare going on down there.

Not sure if its the Drum Room, but I hear the President Hotel has a new chef, recently as a sous from the American.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Not sure if its the Drum Room, but I hear the President Hotel has a new chef, recently as a sous from the American.

Well, I'm always one for devoting a whole thread to a new resto: Drum Room, At the Hilton President, Kansas City.

:wink:

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Courious if that was the chef of the restaurant when the Pitch wrote them up last week? I think Chris Hall is still the chef over the hotel.