• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas BBQ Road Trip Report

TexNewMex

Actually, it's not universal.

I've yet to run across a barbecue joint either here or in Kansas City that barbecues sausage.

Ribs, yes. Brisket, yes. Chicken, yes. Burnt ends? A Kansas City specialty and just about unique to the place.  Sausage? Nope.

I suspect that this is the unique contribution of the Germans to Texas barbecue.

Yeah, when I lived in Georgia and ate barbecue there, there was no sausage to be found anywhere. I was even asking locals about it and they looked at me funny.

you'd think, but apparently everyone's hot links recipe is a secrety secret.  salon did an article about it a while ago--here's a link.

Interesting. Barbecue chefs and nuclear scientists seem to vie with each other in pursuit of secrecy, don't they? Still, sausage is one of those things that is so easy to make, and rewards experimentation so richly, that it'd be worth a try to come up with your own version. (And then you could invite me over.)

This is an awesome thread.

Re: the sausage thing - it's not just central Texas. My mother's family is originally from West Texas, out by Lubbock and Abilene, and they have their own kind of barbeque and their own kind of sausage.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

But the African-American-owned joints also often feature sausage,

Should have said that the "African-American-owned joints with which I am familiar here in Texas also often feature sausage."

Although I stop for barbecue wherever I travel, and I travel a lot and have eaten barbecue all over the country, I haven't really paid that close attention to whether or not there are hot links elsewhere.

And TexNewMex, somewhere you said that the ribs at one of the places was "fall off the bone." You'll learn that in Texas, that's no compliment. All it means is that the ribs were overdone, and had been cooked to mush, which anybody can do.

The ribs that you had during your trek undoubtedly did not, for the most part anyway, "fall off the bone." Rather, they had a good, meaty texture, offered a little resistance to the tooth, and had to be pulled from the bone.

If you enter your ribs in a barbecue competition, and they "fall off the bone," they'll be disqualified.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And TexNewMex, somewhere you said that the ribs at one of the places was "fall off the bone." You'll learn that in Texas, that's no compliment. All it means is that the ribs were overdone, and had been cooked to mush, which anybody can do.

The ribs that you had during your trek undoubtedly did not, for the most part anyway, "fall off the bone." Rather, they had a good, meaty texture, offered a little resistance to the tooth, and had to be pulled from the bone.

If you enter your ribs in a barbecue competition, and they "fall off the bone," they'll be disqualified.

It was the Baby back ribs at Schoepf's........

mushy....no way!

Overdone.....not really......

good......Hell yea!

Thank God I wasn't at a BBQ competition....I would have missed out.

A perfect explanation of the ribs that I experienced on the trip! Except the baby backs

LISBY OUT!

It was the Baby back ribs at Schoepf's........

mushy....no way!

Overdone.....not really......

good......Hell yea!

Thank God I wasn't at a BBQ competition....I would have missed out.

A perfect explanation of the ribs that I experienced on the trip! Except the baby backs.

Ah....well, then. I obviously must get to Schoepf's the next time I'm down that way.

And I guess you figgered out all by yourself why, when you got to Taylor, you were surprised to see TWO barbecue joints side by side, one of which is world famous, and the other of which you'd never heard.

And have since forgotten.

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mallet Bros BBQ--Navasota, Hwy 6 Loop-

Everything is good!! Brisket, ribs, pork, slaw, potatos. pototo salad, The whole family will make you happy. Nice building too!! Small sign, so don't miss it-if you do exit and come back--it's worth it!!

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.