• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cheesecake Factory - Riverside Square Mall

ShawtyCat

Carmines works great for the kids. Just take a few more people with you.

The portions are served family style and are huge.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I'm not sure we should have this subtle uncurrent of criticism aimed at ShawtyCat just for liking The Cheescake Factory.  We all occasionally like something that is a bit cliched, over the top, or popular in a crowd pleasing kind of way.  It's no big deal.  Frankly, sometimes I'm flat out disgusted at some of the things I like.

And her sensitivity about having "1 screaming baby and 2 loud kids" makes me appreciate both her, and her dilemma.  How many times have we all been in a smaller, quieter restaurant and had the following thought: "Why can't they control that kid?"  The fact that she's specifically looking for family friendly places means that a noisy joint like "Cheesecake" may well have additional appeal, because frankly with the volume of the din in that place you could scream at the top of your lungs and the person two tables away probably wouldn't hear you.

Fuddruckers is a bit of a poor choice, but I'll second "The Coach House", and even more enthusiastically add "The Forum Diner", a bit further up Route 4.  Some of the other "mall places" like Legal Seafood or California Pizza Kitchen might do as well.

John--I didn't mean to diss shawtycats choice. Well ok, yah sure. But nothing personal. In fact I applaud her for giving me the chance to vent. Tonque was, if not planted firmly, then close by my cheek. She merely gave me an opportunity to get cute and bratty. My criticism wasn't directed at her.

Nah if I wanted to get mean, i'd start something about small children in restaurants. (Scene from Dr. Strangelove: Left hand wrestling right to keep it away from keyboard :biggrin: )

I stand by my post re Cheescake factory, though :biggrin:

BTW, I was in Wondees this evening. Tons of kids. Good thing the food is good :wink:

Nick

Carmines works great for the kids. Just take a few more people with you.  

The portions are served family style and are huge.

That's what I was going to say. Definitely bring the kids. Actually, you need one more person to make a reservation (they only take them for parties of 6 or more). Why don't you bring the babysitter with you! You don't want to be waiting around with the kids in tow.

We have plans to go to Carmine's (sp?) in NYC, I think.  Definately should get a babysitter for this place, right???

Carmine's is very kid friendly, the place is so loud. A kid can scream at the top of their lungs for hours on end and they probably wouldn't create the slightest stir in the place.

When you go be sure to order the "Titantic" ($19.00) for dessert. Its huge and its gooey. Great for kids and not too bad for adults.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

In response to some ones question way back. This thread is getting a lot of posts.

I used to like the Java Salad - which was 86'd from the menu.

I like the factory meat loaf sandwich, those little burgers they have as appetizers, the pasta with four cheeses is heavy buy good. I am not into eating fish so I haven't had any of that. I have also tried the crusted chicken romano which is kind of like chicken parmesan. Some items are good some are not. I tend to stick to what I like in restaurants and not be too creative.

I like their ice tea also. My favorite ice tea (maybe off subject) is the China Mist - which I know it when I taste it. Not sure what restaurants in the area serve it.

-Scott

It is just the 23 mth old that is the problem.  He's been in a restaurant setting since he was born and thinks that every place we go to is his.  Our main problem is when he wants to get down and socialize with the other diners at the restaurants.  You know...he kinda walks around like an owner would and hob nobs with the guests.  :rolleyes:

A born restaurateur!

Cheescake Factories are the T.G.I.Fridays of our generation. Remember how people really thought that T.G.I.Fridays were great and innovative when the chain first got started? (Same with Houlihan's.)

CF's are decorated like a cross between a Chucky Cheese and a strip club--somewhere between a Bennigan's and a cheap New Orleans whorehouse. And as loud as the inside of a wind tunnel. But they do have a wide selection, competently prepared, maybe a 6 or 7 on a scale of ten. Any higher and it wouldn't be comfort food any longer, which is a big selling point of any chain. I get the feeling that they've found their level and don't really want to get any better, because then they'd have to cut items from the menu, and where else will you see egg rolls next to chimichangas? I get the feeling they're trying to be the equivalent of a good, solid TV series rather than an avant-garde movie. They don't want to take chances. Everything's competent and workmanlike, slightly higher than average, but nothing higher. They're not innovators, and for most purposes, that's OK.