• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Lemon Tartlets

My three-year-old and I are on a quest. Before A La Francaise (University Village) closed back in January, we had a tradition of enjoying lemon tartlets together. We were both so sad to see them and our mother-daughter tradition go.

Since then, we've tried lemon tarts whenever we come across them, but no success in finding something as nice as before. We've run across too many with mealy lemon fillings and/or thick-chalky crusts.

This morning's jaunt to Macrina yielded a lovely slice (they don't offer the mini tartlets, but I was impressed with their service when they agreed to sell us just a slice of their tart) with light filling and tender crumb. A great choice, although my preschooler put it best when she declared it "sweet". The lemon filling didn't have enough "tart" for our tastes, and the sweet crust, though delicious, was too thick at the edges for her to bother with. The A La Francaise tartlet seemed to convey much more tart lemon flavor while their crust was almost a cross between pate sucre and a tuile with it's delicately thin crispy edges.

So, I put it to you PNW egulleteers....where would you send us in search of YOUR favorite lemon tartlet??

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

In the very far north from you, I like L'Artisan bakery in the Silver Lake area of Everett. But to tell the truth, few bakeries make a better lemon tart to my taste than me. I have a favorite crust, I have a favorite homemade lemon curd and it takes very little time to put one together. An even quicker route would be to use my favorite commercial lemon curd, Trader Joe's.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Don't keep me in suspense....!

Will you divulge your recipes?? :wub:

Luscious smell like love

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

About a year ago, I had a fantastic lemon tart at Dahlia Bakery. What sets it apart is that they do a real Italian meringue on top...I really prefer that to the regular, foamy-tasting meringue.

link to pictures and report

That being said, I love making my own lemon tarts at home as well. I usually use some ground macadamia in the crust to make it even more tender and rich.

I like two lemon curd recipes, the one from Fine Cooking (here) and The French Laundry cookbook also has a good recipe for a lemon sabayon tart with pinenut crust.

Here's a picture of the lemon sabayon tart. (This was Henry's first baking project, btw. I helped him a little bit and he did a great job!)

gallery_7973_3014_113133.jpg

ETA: The only problem with the Fine Cooking recipe is that it is a bit loose for a tart, unless you're doing tiny tarts with a thin layer of curd. But if you were to use it for a 8" or 9" tart, the curd would be too loose and wouldn't slice nicely.

Edited by Ling (log)

My favorite lemon curd recipe is from Pierre Herme:

Tart Lemon Cream

(2 ½ - 3 cups)

1 c sugar

zest of three lemons, chopped very finely

4 eggs

3/4 c fresh lemon juice

10 ½ oz soft butter, in cubes

In the top of a double boiler, rub the sugar and zest together until moist and grainy. Whisk in the eggs, then the juice. Cook over simmering water until it reaches 180°and is thick. Set aside to cool to 140°, then strain into the bowl of a blender and blend, adding the butter, five cubes at a time, then continue blending for 3-4 minutes.

Will freeze for 1 month, or keep in the refrigerator for 4 days.

Notes: I use a microplane to zest the lemons, and I then squeeze them to provide the juice. I don't use bottled lemon juice. The reason why I enjoy this recipe is that it has a pronounced lemon flavor, is less sweet than others, makes a reasonable amount, and sets up with a reasonably thick consistency. Many of the curd recipes I have tried are too runny for my taste. That may be OK in using the curd as a sauce, but not so much when using it as a filling.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

My favorite lemon curd recipe is from Pierre Herme:

I also like the PH recipe, 22tango. The only thing is you have to be patient and wait for it to chill...if you eat it hot right after you make it, it tastes like weird lemon butter. :wacko: The PH lemon cream recipe also freezes well (and is also good straight out of the freezer, yum yum!)

Thanks for the recs! It seems we must try Dahlia's lemon tart soon and report back. If I get a little more time, then I'll certainly be experimenting in the kitchen -- but that's the problem when you have 2 little ones, no time!! :raz:

Luscious smell like love

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

Try the lemon tarts at Pasta and Co. They are lovely and the recipe is in one of the cookbooks.

When I get home, I'll try and remember to post it.

Sugar makes a nice small tart with lavender on the top. They are available at the West Seattle market.

lala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Try the lemon tarts at Pasta and Co. They are lovely and the recipe is in one of the cookbooks.

When I get home, I'll try and remember to post it.

Sugar makes a nice small tart with lavender on the top. They are available at the West Seattle market.

lala

Thanks, I have the P&C books...unfortunately, theirs was one of the first I tried and the filling was unpleasantly "mealy". Perhaps it was overcooked?

Sounds like a good reason to visit the West Seattle Farmer's Market! :biggrin:

Edited by 22tango (log)

Luscious smell like love

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

ALAS! We went to the Dahlia Bakery today and they were OUT of the lemon tarts!!! (I was told they wouldn't be done for another 2 hours and that they usually would have them available at lunchtime when we went.) The excellent quality of their chocolate tartlet gives me hope though....

Luscious smell like love

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

I do this when I need an immediate lemon tart fix and don't have any homemade lemon curd sitting around:

I bake off some individual puff pastry shells that I buy at Safeway or Fred Meyer's and let them cool

Fill them with the jarred English lemon curd sold by Trader Joe's

Top with whipped cream straight from the can and garnish with some lemon zest

This approach will not win style points nor plaudits from the purists. I am embarassed just posting it. And yet, I have paid very good money for worse lemon tarts in restaurants and bakeries. Like some of the other posters here, I am a parent with a demanding professional job and must sometimes look for a quick approach for the weeknights.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...
I make  small lemon tarts at Fleur de Lis Bakery in Portland-- not too close to Seattle though.  I use an almond crust, lemon curd and fresh berries.  Please try it when in the neighborhood.

We LOVE Portland! We just don't get out there as often now that a 3-hour drive with little ones can be so frustrating. I'll certainly try yours out the next time we're there!

I'll second MG Lloyd's suggestion to take a drive up north to Silver Lake in Snohomish County and go to L'Artisan Bakery for Lemon Tart topped with a perfect swirl of meringue and a berry.

Mmmmmm! It looks like a stop at l'artisan is called for the next time we're up in Everett for the Children's Museum. http://www.lartisanfrenchbakery.com/

I'm still hoping the next trip to downtown Seattle will yield me the much recommended lemon tartlet from Dahlia....

Luscious smell like love

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

:biggrin: I'm certain they'll be mine as well...

I found their website with all the lovely pictures and saw the Napoleon (which is ALWAYS my favorite). I'd already planned that when we make the pilgrimage that my daughter will get the lemon tart while I'll be indulging in the Napoleon! :wub:

Edited by 22tango (log)

Luscious smell like love

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

• 1 year later...

I did a direct comparison today of the Pierre Herme recipe and the Francois Payard recipe. I used the Herme crust for both. Both were good and it was difficult to pick a winner. Most people (5 out of 7) preferred the Herme recipe.

Payard: a bit less work, more intense lemony flavour (though the Herme tart was adequately lemony), much less butter

Herme: a bit more work, great texture, looked nicer (though I did top it with a torched Italian meringue), a lot more butter

I would make the Payard tart if I needed a quick lemon fix for myself but I would probably make the Herme tart if I were making the tart for friends or family.

I have Meyer lemons comin' outta my ears because we have 2 tree's and I just adore those babies....but I never use them for lemon curd.

If you want the best curd use something like Lisbon or Eureka. They will make all the difference to your tarts IMO. :smile:

They make good lemon tarts at Boat Street Cafe ( the menu changes, check to see if they're on). They're not traditional in that they're not baked with the curd in it, they bake the shells then pile on lemon curd. Makes it a little difficult to eat since the filling doesn't adhere to the crust, but other than that, they're darn tasty.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I switch between lemon and lime tartlets at my bakery. My pastry assistant, who usually hates lemon curd, likes 'em. We often sell out, so be sure to call us before you come down to check if we're on lemon or lime that day. Also, with two little ones in tow, be warned parking by the bakery is tricky, but just get into that downtown state of mind and you'll be fine.

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

1014 Madison St (between Terry & Boren)

Seattle, 98104

206-749-4105

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe