• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 1)

Fat Guy

a couple of days ago I was making cinnamon toast for breakfast for myself and three kids.

toasters are pretty much unheard of in Japan and you toast your toast in your microwave/oven combo using the "toast" function. Well I decided to soften the butter a bit by putting in on top of the oven while it was toasting, just a small block still in the wrapper.

Well I went to to the computer to to check egullet (of course) and 10 minutes later went back to finish bmaking breakfast and found the butter had melted all over the top of the oven and was dripping down the sides!! :shock:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

OK, new one.

I know I was involved in the incident with the dessert souffles, chef,and

salt but that wasn't my fault.

This next one was.

Last Friday I was running a dessert special and was trying to make a clear candy with scotch bonnet peppers.

First, I mixed the scotch bonnets with the boiling sugar,LOL!!!

I had warned everyone that this would amount to something like tear gas so they should steer clear of my dungeon like basement cooking area.

Even I was surprised though by the amount of coughing and gagging it produced.

But the real kicker was yet to come.

I poured the candy onto my silpats and put one over it to roll out the candy.

I decided to forget the candy idea.

I continued with my day, finishing it off with baking my tuiles for the evenings service, on my silpats, of course. I had cleaned and washed them well after the candy experiment.

I came home, and after about an hour, got a call from my exec chef, who was wondering what in the hell I had put in the tuiles!

I will NEVER AGAIN do anything with the HOTTEST CHILE IN THE WORLD...

on a silpat that I intend to use for ANYTHING else!!!

I ordered 2 new ones today from JB PRINCE.

2317/5000

Ohmygod! I did Jalapeno cream biscuits on my Silpat last weekend. Does that mean that my next batch of mollases cookies will have a kick?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ohmygod! I did Jalapeno cream biscuits on my Silpat last weekend. Does that mean that my next batch of mollases cookies will have a kick?

not sure about that.

The chiles were actually touching the silpat and still exuding their hot oils.

You probably folded the chiles into your batter?

maybe do a test run before you unleash anything on an unsuspecting guest?

BTW, my chef wasn't pissed.

He's from Texas and was just wondering what I had put in them!HAHAHAH!

Crazy, huh?

2317/5000

Don't you dare throw those silpats out! Send them to me. I thought silicone won't absorb anything.... Try making some ginger snaps or some more clear candy without any spice, and see how it turns out. It may pick up the remaining heat.

Don't you dare throw those silpats out!  Send them to me.  I thought silicone won't absorb anything....  Try making some ginger snaps or some more clear candy without any spice, and see how it turns out.  It may pick up the remaining heat.

Were you directing that to me,E?

I'm not throwing them out, but I did order some new ones.

I think scotch bonnet stuff finally cleared out.

2317/5000

Bleach or peroxide would probably kill the active heat from the peppers. The stuff is very fat-loving, and the silpats are probably close enough, particularly if there isn't a lot of fat in the dish.

Cheers.

FLASH: AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE (nearly) LOST THEIR FINGERPRINTS WHILE SLICING:

I just received the February 2003 newsletter (yeah, well . . .) from La Cuisine in Alexandria, Va. Unfortunately, it is not yet online; they're only up to November 2002. In any case . . . They offer for sale the Chef's Knife Finger Guard,

a great design solution from France, in which a metal shield protects your hand as it clamps down on the item you're slicing.  The knife comes down against the face of the shield, allowing you to slice and dice without having to keep a supply of bandaids on hand[sic].  The ring on the back of the shield fits onto the middle finger and is adjustable.
The sizing depends on the length of the user's middle finger.

There's a picture in the hard copy. It wraps around the first three fingers -- poor little pinky is left out on its own. Appears to be flat on the "bottom" (at the fingertip end) and curved on top, up near the knuckles. Comes up about halfway between first joint and knuckle, so you have to keep your fingers straight from knuckle to tip. Ouch. Think Elsa Peretti cuff bracelet? but mostly flattened.

BTW, there's no mention as to whether it's ambidextrous.

Sorry Stephanie, it wouldn't have helped. This thing only covers index, middle, and ring fingers. Pinky and thumb are left to their own curling under. :sad: Think flat stainless steel version of brass knuckles.

boy, do I wish the picture were online! :sad:

Attempt to de-bone a lamb leg that is partially frozen. The numbing effect of the way-too-cold meat means that you don't, at first, realize that you are actually deboning your hand.

OK I didn't do this myself but I had to take the guy who did to the hospital and boy did that mess up my car's upholstery.

Attempt to de-bone a lamb leg that is partially frozen. The numbing effect of the way-too-cold meat means that you don't, at first, realize that you are actually deboning your hand.

OK I didn't do this myself but I had to take the guy who did to the hospital and boy did that mess up my car's upholstery.

oouuchhh! :sad:

Welcome to eGullet! Great story. More , please.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

...be in too much of a hurry while making up cookie dough. While washing dishes, sorting out my prep work for the next meal, and sweeping up the floor, I was tossing items into my KitchenAid and letting her rip.

Unfortunatley, my last toss was a nice little quarter cup of powdered cocoa. I should really know at this point you always start slow, but I slammed the lever back to high... and ended up with a nice dusting of cocoa powder across the walls, cabinets, ceiling, the dishes, myself, the cat... :rolleyes:

Forgot to prick potatoes before I put them in the oven to bake - so when I forked one to see if it was soft, it exploded all over the oven, me, the floor, etc.

I once roasted an unpricked eggplant in the oven and absently reached into the oven to grab it with a pair of tongs. The resulting BANG! wasn't too terribly messy (if you don't count my pants), but it scared the living hell out of my girlfriend and send my cat into paroxyms of unbridled terror.

Exploding veggies are a menace of which we all must be wary.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Forgot to prick potatoes before I put them in the oven to bake - so when I forked one to see if it was soft, it exploded all over the oven, me, the floor, etc.

Great thread.

Ah, yes -- another one of those little errors I'd pushed out of my consciousness. Although in my case, it exploded all on its own, all over the inside of the oven. "Did you hear that noise? I wonder what it could have been . . . " :shock:

Great thread.

Ah, yes -- another one of those little errors I'd pushed out of my consciousness. Although in my case, it exploded all on its own, all over the inside of the oven. "Did you hear that noise? I wonder what it could have been . . . " :shock:

Yes, yes have done this with both potatoes and eggplant.

Not only does it ruin dinner, but then you have that mess to clean-up too! :angry:

...try to make menudo.

Even my dog refused it.

Wha hoppen?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM