• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 1)

Fat Guy

Pour untasted wine into a batch of stew on the stove. Did it once with a bottle of Michigan wine, which made the stew (and the whole house) smell like Chateau Mucilage. :blush:

See, there IS a good reason to have a slurp while you're cooking (besides the enhanced creativity!). :biggrin:

. . . try to catch a knife that's falling off the counter . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Forget to put the pot under the coffee maker....nothing like coming back to massive amounts of steaming coffee all over the counter and floor at 5am!!!

Pushing the "brew" button twice on the coffee maker at the office. Coffee on the floor of my own kitchen is bad enough. Coffee ruining the newspapers on the office kitchen counter . . . .

... try to cook anything for my breakfast after coming in from a night of drinking. Can you say, "Wake up and smell the smoke?"

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

...assume that the rubber gasket is unimportant when assembling a blender pitcher.

1977 - Lesson learned while assisting my father in making Grasshoppers for business associates during a dinner party. Oopsy, doopsy! :unsure:

call each person in my family to the stove, and have a conference as to whether the roux is the "dark peanut butter" color the recipe describes...debating with 4 others if we're talking dark SKIPPY or dark JIF, while it becomes darker and darker and darker and BURNS!

And how about pouring the grease from the Sunday morning bacon onto the as-yet-unused coffee grounds in the french press canister?

I don't understand? :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You all make me feel so much better. I've done almost all of these. I blame eGullet for many recent fuck-ups: burned rice, carbonized orange peels.

You only try to catch a falling knife once (long long ago), better to let it drop and jump out of the way. Better if the blade breaks than slices your hand or goes point down into your foot. A new knife is cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.

The stock thing is agony, and you always realize it just as the liquid is about 3/4 out of the pot.

try to slice open a bag of nuts in midair with a very sharp knife...results...one partly severed fingertip...4+ hours waiting in the emergency room only to be told "Gee, you needed stitches but, we can't do them now...it's been too long, an infection might have set in, we could butterfly it, but, you'll have to pay full charges"...speaking of adding insult to injury...went home and butterflied it myself :wacko:

As I'm reading over this thread and calling my husband in to have a laugh

too, I'm wondering why my banana bread is taking so long to bake.

I can't beleive I turned the oven on broil instead of bake!

I wondered why the top is so flat instead of rounded.

I blame this thread for undo influence .