• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 1)

Fat Guy

I will never touch chestnuts with the intent to peel them. Thanks for the heads-up. The recipes make it sound so . . . easy, and home-y.

Noise is music. All else is food.

What's the deal with chestnuts? :blink: Score first...just a cross hatch, no need to be at all anal. Then you can boil them for a few minutes...and peel away. Or roast in an oven...and peel away. Or throw them in the microwave..and peel away. (If you don't put a hole in them first, they spin around like a top and then explode in the microwave...way cool.) Its not so bad. Honest.

What's the deal with chestnuts?  :blink:  Score first...just a cross hatch, no need to be at all anal.  Then you can boil them for a few minutes...and peel away.  Or roast in an oven...and peel away. Or throw them in the microwave..and peel away. (If you don't put a hole in them first, they spin around like a top and then explode in the microwave...way cool.)  Its not so bad. Honest.

And here I've never even tasted chestnuts...

Side thought:

Fun things to do with your microwave. Putting peeps in there is fun too. They puff up and look like walruses.

Let my sister in our kitchen. My wife, who is an excellent cook, decided to let her help for our first married hanukkah together. So the oil is heating for the potato pancakes, and my sister grabs a glass of water "to check to see if the oil is hot enough".

I got there just in time to see half of the glass hit the dutch oven, and tackle my wife out of the way. I'm still finding old oil on the ceiling, though.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Substitute the same volume of iodized salt in a recipe developed using kosher.

A cut potato will only absorb so much, apparently.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

What's the deal with chestnuts? :blink: Score first...just a cross hatch, no need to be at all anal. Then you can boil them for a few minutes...and peel away. Or roast in an oven...and peel away. Or throw them in the microwave..and peel away. (If you don't put a hole in them first, they spin around like a top and then explode in the microwave...way cool.) Its not so bad. Honest.

Sure, Hathor. Whatever you say. :wink:

I will never again make instant coffee half asleep. As a student, I used instant coffee because it saved time in the morning (had no taste back then).

I woke up after one particularly late night and boiled up some water for coffee. Not totally with it, I opened the bottle of instant coffee, took a spoonful in the mug, and proceeded to pour the water into the bottle...not the mug. Five seconds into this fiasco I stopped, stared at the bottle ...to the mug ...to the kettle ...back to the bottle ...back to the mug and back to the kettle, mouth agape with a look on my face from something out of a bad TV sitcom.

Being a student, I couldn't waste anything so I had coffee-flavoured syrup for a few weeks afterwards.

I will never again make instant coffee half asleep.

But surely that's the only time/excuse to make it that way, no? :biggrin:

Here's a tip (to get back on topic) . . if you write to a restaurant and ask them for a recipe, it's a good idea to double-check the quantities before you begin.

In my early pasta-making days, I wrote to a little mom and pop Italian restaurant where I had eaten some delicious filled pasta. Got a lovely, personal note back from Franco and Maria, complete with the recipe in charmingly Italianate English. Went right ahead and followed the recipe. . . and made enough agnolotti to feed an entire village. Three pounds of flour should have tipped me off. . . . :hmmm:

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I will never again...

... put my mixing bowl into the microwave to soften the cream cheese and butter _after_ I have added the eggs.

... name the lobster I picked up from the grocery store and chat with it on the way home to pass time im traffic before _trying_ to bring myself to boil it.

... use a jar of 'Georgia Moon' corn whiskey in a marinade of anything.

... try to recall any of my father's old recipes completely from memory when I could just call him up and ask... (this resulted in a bizarre concoction of white sausage gravy, red-eye gravy, and ham glaze. The dog wouldn't even eat it.)

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I have liberally marinated myself a couple of times with Georgia Moon. It didn't work out very well for me either. :blink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 3 weeks later...

My mother threw a few eggs on the stove to boil before going to work one morning and then just went to work. Returned 9 hours later to discover that bombs had gone off. 3 days of open windows (in 40 degree weather), every possible cleaner option, and a repainted ceiling later, the kitchen is usable. You still occasionally catch a whiff of something like sausage and burnt cardboard.

...stem, partially seed, and tear up dried chilies without wearing gloves.

Once, during the annual Making of the Chili Powder (I give it out during the holidays, y'see) I had just finished four pounds of them - a mix of ancho, guajillo, de arbol, chipotle, and (shudder) piquin - and was suddenly struck with an overpowering urge to use the little idiots' room. :shock::shock::shock: and :shock:

(Those half-dozen beers might have had something to do with that, but I digress...) You can see where this is going, can't you? Talk about shock and awe...

It's funny now, but it sure as hell wasn't then!

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

...stem, partially seed, and tear up dried chilies without wearing gloves.

Once, during the annual Making of the Chili Powder (I give it out during the holidays, y'see) I had just finished four pounds of them - a mix of ancho, guajillo, de arbol, chipotle, and (shudder) piquin - and was suddenly struck with an overpowering urge to use the little idiots' room. :shock::shock::shock: and :shock:

(Those half-dozen beers might have had something to do with that, but I digress...) You can see where this is going, can't you? Talk about shock and awe...

It's funny now, but it sure as hell wasn't then!

Oh...poor kitty!!

How about a simple eye rub??? Been there! :wacko:

I will never again...

...leave a 10" Wusthof carving knife inside the box of leftover pizza, forget that it's in the fridge for a week, then pitch the whole thing on trash day. :shock:

.....use my mandoline and yell at my kids at the same time.

....forget that the UPPER rack in the oven also gets hot while I'm reaching for something on the middle rack.

.....leave the roast resting without knowing EXACTLY where the dog is.

Stephanie Kay

Toddle off to beddy-bye thinking I had hit the off button on the crock pot.

How do you clean beef brisket/garlic/ginger charcoal out of a crock pot?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Well, you already know about Dawn Power Dissolver.

I wonder if the stuff comes in bucket size?

And that was your new crock pot, wasn't it? :sad:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sounds like an elbow grease job with lots of those Scotch Brite green scouring pads. :sad:

Try wrapping the pad around something like a small block of wood (palm sized), and then scrubbing with it. You get more scrubbing surface area against the pot.

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

Ugh... I will try to never again turn on the wrong burner by mistake then wonder why my pasta water is taking so long to boil. Or worse yet, realize my empty pan that I left on the" other" burner is turning blue from the heat. Which reminds me.

I will try to remember to grab a pot-holder before I rush in to save it. Double ugh.

I just can"t get used to electric stoves...

Edited by Behemoth (log)