• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never again . . . (Part 1)

Fat Guy

Am I missing something (beside the obvious pain) from not cooking naked? :unsure:

Beats me, too. :biggrin:

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I will never again retrieve the chilled bowl of my ice cream maker from the freezer, put it on the kitchen counter, assemble my machine and then pour the base for a chocolate ice cream into the machine - with the bowl still on the counter. Anna :unsure:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

i just put two eggs in a bowl and then in the microwave, thinking they would be poached in a minute and a half... but then after i heard the big explosion, i looked in the microwave, and the bowl i had put them in was empty and the microwave was totally covered in egg.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Forget that I am cooking a loaf of bread in the Aga oven.

For those who don't know, the Aga is a stored heat cooker, so is always on and hot. Its efficient because it is very well insulated. It is ideal for breads. The oven is ventilated up the chimney, so you don't get the cooking or burning smells you would with a normal cooker to remind you. After about 24 hours the loaf is still perfect in form, just entirely carbon

Left a bottle of Petrus '61 which I received as a gift on the backseat of my car overnight in sub freezing conditions. Not only ruined a great bottle, but also the upholstery in the car. Sadly the upholstery could be easily replaced, not the bottle.

Porkpa

I've done this at least a dozen times. The first thing I do each morning is prepare a pot of coffee while still half asleep. I reach for a mug and pour the coffee. The only problem is I'm holding the mug upside down.

Porkpa

I'm fairly certain this has been said on this thread already, but to get to the office, brew an entire pot of coffee in a drip maker without putting the grounds in, and then have ten construction workers standing around you like beggars, empty cups in hand, while you contemplate the pot of hot, brown-tinged water . . . :blush:

Noise is music. All else is food.

I've done this at least a dozen times. The first thing I do each morning is prepare a pot of coffee while still half asleep. I reach for a mug and pour the coffee. The only problem is I'm holding the mug upside down.

Porkpa

Oh, thank you Porkpa! Iam no longer alone in this boneheaed gaffe! One of the classsic "God! I'm an idiot moments!"

Nero...feel your pain.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I will never again forget to put the coffee caraffe in the coffee maker before turning it on and going to take a shower!  What a mess.

Welcome, Ripley!

Came soooooo close to disaster here this morning. Got the carafe in place after wiping up a mere half cup from the counter.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I was "steaming" some boccolli (sp?) with dinner tonight and I forgot to add water to the pot!!! The boccolli actually came out quite good - slightly smoky flavor, but the pot was ruined. I just hope the fumes from the ruined pot didn't poison the broccolli :wink:

-Eric

I was "steaming" some boccolli (sp?) with dinner tonight and I forgot to add water to the pot!!!  The boccolli actually came out quite good - slightly smoky flavor, but the pot was ruined.  I just hope the fumes from the ruined pot didn't poison the broccolli :wink:

-Eric

:blush:

We've done this twice now, except we didn't forget the water just let it boil away. The first time we had to throw the pot away. The second time we caught it in time to rescue the pot.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Put asparagus back in the pan, after dumping the water, to keep it warm. Forgot to turn off the burner. Added insult to injury by leaving a paste of Barkeepers Friend on the pan too long, resulting in a no shine, streaky surface. Good thing it was not an All-Clad.

"Mom, the pie's on fire..."

(courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens)

http://houseandhome.msn.com/food/OurMostEm...nBloopers0.aspx

This reminds me of the Thanksgiving when my mom took a pecan pie out of the oven and set it on a turned-off burner on my sister's electric stove. Then she put a pot of potatoes on and turned the wrong burner to high. After a few minutes...BOOM! Pyrex fragments and pecan pie all over the kitchen. :shock:

I think my sis had to repaint and replace all of the wallpaper.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

... in multitasking mode, needing to quickly juice half a lemon and unable to locate a fork, use the nearest available utensil: a pointy paring knife. The bones in the palm did, though, prevent a complete dissection of my left hand.

... in multitasking mode, needing to quickly juice half a lemon and unable to locate a fork, use the nearest available utensil: a pointy paring knife.  The bones in the palm did, though, prevent a complete dissection of my left hand.

Youch.

This one, last weekend (I am ashamed of myself):

During the last bit of prep, had a dish of melted butter to brush a baguette with before throwing it into the oven. Also had a dish of Krunchers BBQ chips set on the bar nearby (not dinner-related, just in case anyone wanted to munch). I leave the room for one second , and return to find my friend's boyfriend dipping the BBQ chips into the melted butter! The look on his face was one of pure joy. :shock:

"Oh sorry," he says, "I thought it was . . . uh . . . lobster."

I will admit that I DID try it. I was no lobster, but it didn't completely disgust me.

Oh wait! I thought this was the PMS thread :laugh:

Noise is music. All else is food.