• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Bakery Road Trip

bmonderine

After a year or so of lurking, I've finally decided to post for the first time. Here goes...

My husband (a Brit no less) and I are taking our first trip to the south next week. We'll be driving from Atlanta to Asheville. From there, we'll be driving through Tennessee (stopping in Memphis and Nashville) then onto Louisville and back down to Atlanta. (I KNOW it's not the best time of year--weather wise---to attempt a southern road trip but it's the only time we can do it).

One of the main reasons for the trip is to do a little research on Southern Bakeries and Sweets. I'm going to be opening a small, old fashioned bakery in Los Angeles later this year and am looking for some new ideas (well, new for me and for a lot of people in L.A. maybe, but old and traditional for those of you in the South).

Can any of you direct me to places in the cities that I mentioned (or nearby) that we MUST stop into as well as give me suggestions as to the cakes & pies that we have to taste?? I've already done some research with the Sterns books & website and am looking for additional suggestions.

I'm specifically looking for GREAT versions of caramel cake, chess pie, derby pie, banana pudding, hummingbird cake, etc.

Thank you all so much in advance for any help you can provide!

I don't know exactly about those cities' bakeries, but I can tell you this. The basic, old-fashioned Southern Living Cookbook is one of the best sources for these recipes you could ever find. I know - I tested some of them when I worked for Oxmoor House.

Also - Junior League Cookbooks from just about any city in the south will be chock full of "receipts" Nashville Seasons is a good one.

Oh - and eat peach cobbler anywhere you can find it - this is a good year for Southern peaches, as we had a dry spring/early summer.

Thanks! I'll be sure to get the Southern Living Cookbook and I CANNOT wait to eat the peach cobbler! I can't tell you how excited we are for this trip....

Don't forget Pecan Pie. And most places (BBQ joints especially) should also have some Sweet Potato Pie and/or Bread Pudding.

Keep an eye out for Coconut Cake, too.

edited for clarity

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

In Asheville you might want to try Picnics, on Merrimon Avenue. It is a little restaurant that sells baked chicken, pot pies, etc. They are known for desert, especially pies.

In Hendersonville you could try McFarlands Bake Shop, Main Street. I haven't eaten anything from there recently, but I never had anything bad there. They have been around for a long time and sell all sorts of goodies.

Johanna

if you've never had a real southern fried pie, i highly recommend getting one in your travels.

I'm sure the only thing I've had that comes close is one of the old McDonalds apple pies. I'm also sure that those didn't come close at all!

I think the best bakery in Nashville is Sweet 16th (16th & Ordway in East Nash).  You will want to add their signature "Velvet Elvis" to your repertoire.

Is "Velvet Elvis" Red Velvet cake? If not, that's definitely a Southern dessert to look for.

Chocolate and red velvet layer cake with peanut butter ganache and buttercream (or maybe banana) frosting. An outstanding twist on traditional red velvet.

LPM - Nashville-Based Food Enthusiast

Personal Blog: Boston Dreams and Michelin Stars

lpm@wardandsmith.com

Velvet Elvis Cake recipe - ya'll hve one?????

I don't have a recipe, but I do have a picture in the archives of my blog to tempt you even further! Next time I'm at Sweet 16th, I'll ask the Einsteins if they're willing to share their recipe.

LPM

LPM - Nashville-Based Food Enthusiast

Personal Blog: Boston Dreams and Michelin Stars

lpm@wardandsmith.com

• 2 weeks later...

McEntyre's Bakery in Smyrna (between Atlanta and Marietta) does a tremendous business with their cinnamon fries. The father and sons running the business are third and fourth generation bakers.

Greenwood's on Green Street in Roswell (just north of Atlanta) is a restaurant that is as noted for their desserts as they are for their entrees. I am in love with their coconut cream pie. All of their desserts are made in house.