• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pat Bing Su

During the Korean Summer the curious of iced treats pops up.

Pat bing su. I have yet to try it, and plan to soon, but from what I can figure it is a scoop of crushed ice topped with sweet red bean goop, some sugary sauce (chocolate, melon, sweetened condescended milk) and jellied candies.

Does anyone know where this originated from and why?

She came, she saw. She ate, she blogged.

www.maryeats.com

• 2 weeks later...
During the Korean Summer the curious of iced treats pops up.

Pat bing su. I have yet to try it, and plan to soon, but from what I can figure it is a scoop of crushed ice topped with sweet red bean goop, some sugary sauce (chocolate, melon, sweetened condescended milk) and jellied candies.

Does anyone know where this originated from and why?

This sounds like the Ais Kacang that I found in my Malaysian cookbook.

Red beans seem to be used in many Asian recipes. I love the texture in frozen hun dow bing ( think popsicle/fudgsicle).

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I've said it before, and I'll say it again,

I like beans.

I like dessert.

But I do not like beans in my dessert.

They make a similar dessert here in Vietnam, but they call it che, and it comes in so many varieties. I like fruit and ice with coconut cream myself, but the bean ones are really popular as well.

Yes, this is found all over Asia in one form or another - HaluHalo from the Philippines, (something) from China, and of course the Hawaiian Shave Ice.

What goes in Pat Bing Su varies - there's a kind of ddeok or rice cake that comes in little cubes, there's agar-agar, there's even creamed corn..... But the beans are in pretty much all of them, and I would disagree with Nakji about the appropriateness of dessert beans - Asians are very creative in their use of beans and have devised many tasty things to do with them. One year I bought a #10 can (around 6 lbs) of these sweetened azuki beans and used them all up in pat bing su. This summer though i haven't got around to getting out my binsugi and shaving ice with it - maybe still have time before it gets colder...

I'd attach a photo except that it is thundering here and so I have to turn off my computer.....

--Phage--

Gac

I agree with Nakji,

I love adzuki beans, but not in my dessert.

I asked around and one theory is that this is originally a Japanese dessert, and that would make more sense to me. Korean desserts aren't usually as complicated.

In a bakery the English translation on the menu was “ice castle”.

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11549943...3121_158501.jpg

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11550068...3121_161116.jpg

So far I've tried the original, and a fruit and yogurt one (sans the beans). Both are considerably more expensive than a scoop of ice cream (7,000 won / 7USD). A green tea variety is also popular in Seoul, but I think the pasty-ness of the beans and the aftertaste of powdered green tea wouldn't be pleasing. Nevertheless I'll try it soon.

I am starting to prefer pat bing su to ice cream because it is so light (without the red beans) and more refreshing. Ice cream can be so cloying sometimes.

On a side note I am having trouble getting my photos to appear in the post. Any advice?

She came, she saw. She ate, she blogged.

www.maryeats.com

• 2 weeks later...