• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Disco Fries"

Okay, folks, a few of us over on the Pennsylvania board are scratching our heads over a dish we've never heard of before, and in our efforts to discover its origins, I realized there is probably no better source to turn to than the collective wisdom of eGulleteers everywhere.

But especially those from northern New Jersey, for the dish in question appears to originate there.

According to whitetrufflechick, who turned to the PhillieGulleteers for advice on where she could take her picky teenage daughter for lunch and dinner on a weekend swing through town, there is something on the menu of some Jersey diners known as "disco fries." She explained them in this post on the thread she started:

She explained to me how nachos & fries with cheese sauce were disgusting but "disco" fries were acceptable. Disco fries = diner fries with mozz & brown gravy.

If you're thinking, "This sounds like poutine," you're not alone--someone drew that parallel a few posts further down.

Nonetheless, we are puzzled. Have you heard of disco fries? Have you eaten them? Who first sprung disco fries on an unsuspecting world, and when, and where? Would you eat them if they were served to you? How about in a wrap with mozzarella sticks and chicken fingers?

<stocktext type="cliche">

Inquiring minds want to know.

</stocktext>

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Yeah, back in high school we used to go to Village Inn and get fries with grazy. Loved 'em. Would've probably also gotten mozzarella on them too, but I don't think VI has stuff that fancy! Never heard them called "disco fries", and I had never heard of poutine until now.

BTW, I love nachos (and fries) with cheese sauce too.

Well, I've never heard of "Disco Fries", but I have taken a "Disco Nap" which is a 20-30 minute nap taken before going out to the club.

Maybe "Disco Fries" are snacks eaten just before a night of alcoholic indulgence? A sort of base line for the belly....if so, I approve!

-G

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I've heard of, and partaken in Disco Fries. I live in centeral Jersey, too. They are fries covered in gravy, loaded with cheese. I've seen them all sorts of ways, though, with mozzarella, but more often with some kind of yellow cheese, like cheddar, or in really cheap places, yellow American, or the worst, gobs of cheese sauce. (I like cheese sauce as much as anyone, but cheap crappy diners stock cheap crappy cheese sauce...)

I see the occasional reference to poutine, and I think to myself "Northern Disco Fries" so, it's a small world. ^.^

My most favorite version, when I was younger, and able to eat this stuff, was from the old Shamrock Diner, they used mozzarella cheese, a gravy laced with a hint of cinnamon (the chef was Greek, everything had cinnamon or nutmeg in it) over those spicy curly fries. Good stuff.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Obviously, they're a North Jersey thing, as I don't recall the phrase ever being uttered or printed in the vicinity of Philadelphia, and trust me, if anyone in South Jersey knew about it, we'd have heard about it on this side of the Delaware too.

I note that Wikipedia is a bit puzzled over the origin of the name. So am I. It appears there is no legend or lore surrounding the creation of this dish the way there is its Canadian cousin, poutine. Might anyone know any source for creation legends concerning disco fries, and how they got their name?

How is it humanly possible that there is such widespread knowledge of this phenomenon known as "Disco Fries" and I just heard of them yesterday???

:blink:

Color me gobsmacked.

I still want an etymology if we can dig one up.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Obviously, they're a North Jersey thing, as I don't recall the phrase ever being uttered or printed in the vicinity of Philadelphia, and trust me, if anyone in South Jersey knew about it, we'd have heard about it on this side of the Delaware too.

I note that Wikipedia is a bit puzzled over the origin of the name.  So am I.  It appears there is no legend or lore surrounding the creation of this dish the way there is its Canadian cousin, poutine.  Might anyone know any source for creation legends concerning disco fries, and how they got their name?

It's a NY thing too - I used to have this all the time in my much younger days after a night of drinking, along with a big messy hero like chicken cutlets or roast beef on garlic bread smothered in gravy and mozzarella. I would never eat this during the day. After a heavy night of imbibing though, you need to get some protein and grease to absorb the booze.

I've heard of, and partaken in Disco Fries. I live in centeral Jersey, too. They are fries covered in gravy, loaded with cheese.  I've seen them all sorts of ways, though, with mozzarella, but more often with some kind of yellow cheese, like cheddar, or in really cheap places, yellow American, or the worst, gobs of cheese sauce.  (I like cheese sauce as much as anyone, but cheap crappy diners stock cheap crappy cheese sauce...)

I see the occasional reference to poutine, and I think to myself "Northern Disco Fries" so, it's a small world.  ^.^

My most favorite version, when I was younger, and able to eat this stuff, was from the old Shamrock Diner, they used mozzarella cheese, a gravy laced with a hint of cinnamon (the chef was Greek, everything had cinnamon or nutmeg in it) over those spicy curly fries.  Good stuff.

Gee, I'm from Jersey too (the shore) and I've never heard of them. I don't really like gravy on anything, but the cheese sounds pretty good!

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

I'm having a memory of a place in Hoboken (on Willow?) called Lisa's that had great sandwiches and they touted the 'original' disco fries?  Can anyone confirm this?  Either my memory is faulty or I'm just hungry.

good memory. willow and 10th. not sure if they said "original" or "famous", though.

i've heard of "disco fries". but i live in north jersey. But, they're most often referred to simply as "gravy cheese fries" (as opposed to "gravy fries", or "cheese fries.")

growing up in central jersey (the "shore", actually) i can attest to the fact that the dish exists (or at least existed) there as well. again, not called "disco" all that often in my experience.

and everyone knows yellow american is the only way to go.

edit: i should also add that it's no surprise that people haven't heard of the dish. it's generally not on the menu. it's something that drunk people know about and order, generally from 2am-4am. probably along side of a taylor ham egg and cheese.

Edited by tommy (log)

wawiris and tommy: What part of the shore? North or south of Long Beach Island?

LBI is the rough division point between the "New York" Jersey Shore (that part of the Shore that you can reach by train from Newark Penn Station) and the "Philadelphia" Jersey Shore (those Shore points that you can get to via either the NJT Atlantic City Line or buses from 10th and Filbert).

I may have to test my theory by hitting a diner in or near Ocean City and asking if they serve disco fries.

I was first introduced to cheese fries w/ gravy at Ocean Beach in New Jersey.. My girl grew up eating "disco fries" at the Amity Restaurant on Madison Ave and 84th St.. I have heard people call them disco fries, but not at too many restaurants..

Actually poutine is made up of fries, fresh white cheese curds - and the sauce can vary from chicken-based velouté to beef gravy to a few other options like marianara, black mole, allemande sauce etc. However beef gravy is not considered authentic in poutine.

Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Edited by Squirrelly Cakes (log)

wawiris and tommy:  What part of the shore? North or south of Long Beach Island?

LBI is the rough division point between the "New York" Jersey Shore (that part of the Shore that you can reach by train from Newark Penn Station) and the "Philadelphia" Jersey Shore (those Shore points that you can get to via either the NJT Atlantic City Line or buses from 10th and Filbert).

I may have to test my theory by hitting a diner in or near Ocean City and asking if they serve disco fries.

I live on the shore, too, and way north of LBI. I live close to Sandy Hook, if it's any point of reference. Also, we're part of the NY "Jersey Shore" Right on the NE Corridor line, in fact.

People,

North Jersey is anywhere north of rt 4.

The Shore is Seaside Heights.

French fries get gravy on them anytime except "normal" breakfast hours.

And I only heard of disco fries 2 years ago after living in North Jersey for 38 years.

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

"Route 4"? Where's that run?

I-195 roughly bisects the state, though its oceanward end is also far enough north of LBI to not serve as a reliable guide here.

Seaside Heights? Of course--you're a New Yorker. Down here, we call that "Wildwood."

I have yet to eat fries with gravy on them.

And Katie and I are both waiting for the definitive creation myth. Something as distinctive as disco fries has to have one!

Doesn't it?

Sandy rt 4 runs east/west from the GW Bridge..and ummm well kind of dissapears after the malls in Paramus...

Ok I will give it North Jersey above rt 80.

This all really a VERY old joke with some hispanic co workers who really thought I was kidding saying everything below rt 4 was "yucky" to put it politely.

Wildwood was full of Canadiens and an extra 2 hours away!

I am on my to the diner...I wasnt even going to get fries....no I will not get fries before a big ride for BBQ.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'm having a memory of a place in Hoboken (on Willow?) called Lisa's that had great sandwiches and they touted the 'original' disco fries?  Can anyone confirm this?  Either my memory is faulty or I'm just hungry.

good memory. willow and 10th. not sure if they said "original" or "famous", though.

i drove by the old Lisa's on Friday and it came to me: "satch fries". that's what they called them. used to be a big sign tied to the fence with "satch fries" painted on it. yum-o

I've lived in North Jersey for 15 years, and NYC for 20 years before that, & have never heard of disco fries till this moment.

Maybe I don't go to the right places. Are they a Hooters / TGI Fridays specialty or something?

North Jersey stops at Rt. 80? I'd argue for Rt 3, though this is the wrong place for that debate.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845