• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CLE: The Velvet Tango Room

edsel

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the copper was all fogged up with condensation. The drink was icy cold. I don't know when the new menu is being introduced - it will be supplemental to the regular one, not a replacement.

This drink certainly sounds like a summertime hit. Or at least it would be better suited to warm weather. Like I said, we were in denial about the weather. :raz: I can picture sipping one of these out on the patio.

Bob and I were part of this expedition. It had been so long since I'd been to VTR that I needed to start with a Dark and Stormy, even though I knew that there were some fabulous new drinks on the menu!

I'm a rum lover, so I had to try both of the new rum drinks.

First - the Caprihauna [sp??]

gallery_21337_4608_18135.jpg

gallery_21337_4608_144554.jpg

Notice how crystal clear those ice cubes are? Filtered water rocks, Paulius!

gallery_21337_4608_1919.jpg

Spicy Chica

gallery_21337_4608_110441.jpg

Paulius explained that this is a VTR original, which took several months to perfect. And perfect it is! Top quality rum, house-made ginger syrup, a touch of hot spice (did someone say habenero?), some sweet Amaretto to balance it out, shaken with ice and a fresh egg white, then topped with cinnamon. I repeat - the perfect cocktail; amazingly balanced.

Looking forward to that new menu (and some warmer weather)!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

• 3 months later...

I've been back several times now over the last couple of months, dragging various family members and friends who heard me prattle on endlessly about how amazing the drinks were. Most recently I went with my aunt (who happened to be in town) and some friends and had some absolutely lovely cocktails. My aunt who is not a cocktail person absolutely fell in love with the Spicy Chica.

Several weeks ago my sister happened to be in town. Knowing that she had bartended in New York City at some pretty swanky places over the years, it didn't take too much persuasion to get her to try the VTR with me. She tried about four different cocktails (fortunately, I was driving :biggrin: ) and proclaimed that VTR's Sidecar was the best that she had ever tasted ... anywhere.

I am always so pleasantly surprised by my experiences there. Even though I just went there two nights ago, I'm already starting to plan my next visit in my head.

Mmmm .... Aviation. :wub:

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Tino, trade you an Aviation for a couple Galley Boy cheeseburgers from Swenson's Drive-In! And thanks again for the "vintage" Campari Tino!

The most recent debate at the VTR: The continuing lemon or lime dilema and gin ratio in "The Last Word". Toby?

I am ALL about the Moscow Mule right now, at least I was when we were having summer weather. :rolleyes:

On a hot and humid day its such a pleasure knowing I can go have a copper cup of that amazing, spicy ginger beer with a little Stoly.

I would like to do a side by side taste test of the MM in a copper cup and in a regular glass. I am certain that the slight metallic taste the copper leaves on the lips is an integral part of the drink.

Actually what I would like is to have a supply of that ginger bear so that when I want a glass of spiciness without the sprits I can indulge at home. :rolleyes:

Edited by LuckyGirl (log)

Tino, trade you an Aviation for a couple Galley Boy cheeseburgers from Swenson's Drive-In!  And thanks again for the "vintage" Campari Tino!

Sure! But somehow I think I'd be making out better on that deal than you (plus they probably wouldn't be very hot by the time I got to Cleveland). :biggrin:

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

• 1 year later...

I was in Cleveland last Friday night and after a nice dinner at Lola, my friends and I headed over to the VTR for a drink. This is the third time I've been there. It's always great. This time, just one cocktail. I had a Bourbon Daisy. very tasty. I am a bit curious about what method they use to make their house made grenadine. Does anyone know?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 4 weeks later...

I hope that it is not hubris that I think that you are talking to me. Seriously, I just saw this, but I will guess that the debate is still raging. As far as I know it is a-Shudder- equal parts drink. That shudder is purely subjective. I don't make anything equal parts except a 50-50. My negronis are boozy, my 20th centuarys lead lean and stiff. So for a Last Word, and I serve it in the spirit not to the letter of the law.

2.0 oz Tanq

.75 oz Lime

.75 oz Luxardo Maraschino

.75 oz Green

It looks way out of wack but it works. Sorry it took so long to get back.

Cheers,

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Fun times last night at the Velvet Tango Room.

Paulius of VTR and Brad of Bar Deville came up with the great idea to do a bartender swap. Last night Brad and Eric from Bar Deville were mixing up their sublime drinks at VTR here in the CLE and will be doing so again tonight. Carol and Julie from the VTR will be in Chicago mixing up VTR specialties at Bar Deville 9 & 10 November.

Fun times and GREAT cocktails!

Fun times last night at the Velvet Tango Room.

Paulius of VTR and Brad of Bar Deville came up with the great idea to do a bartender swap. Last night Brad and Eric from Bar Deville were mixing up their sublime drinks at VTR here in the CLE and will be doing so again tonight. Carol and Julie from the VTR will be in Chicago mixing up VTR specialties at Bar Deville 9 & 10 November.

Fun times and GREAT cocktails!

A couple of my Chicago friends were also at this event and I'm sorry I couldn't be there. I do plan to be at the flipside, though, at Bar DeVille in Chicago on 11/9 and 11/10 and I'm really looking forward to it!

I think about the VTR all the time, especially when I use those house bitters Paulius gave us at the eG Heartland Gathering back in 2007. I've been nursing them and still have a few drops left. :smile:

=R=

Bar DeVille

701 N. Damen

Chicago, IL

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 10 months later...

VTR got some publicity courtesy of Michael Symon. "The Best Thing I Ever Drank" includes a segment shot at VTR last Spring. Symon does a great job describing the drink. The episode re-airs this afternoon at 2:00 Eastern Time on the Food Channel.

4979330765_42d135b737_d.jpg

• 10 months later...

I had a chance to visit the Velvet Tango Room while in Cleveland for the Heartland Gathering and was very favorably impressed. The room was great -- I liked the juxtaposition of the "dive" exterior and the beautiful interior. Considering the size of our group, the bartenders did an amazing job with the cocktails, which were almost without exception very good. If I had one complaint, it would be that the written drink menu was so quirky that I sometimes had a hard time even figuring out what base spirit was in a particular drink. That would have been fine had it been possible to engage the bartenders in a conversation about the menu, but of course with a large group, that can't happen.

Still, the drinks I tasted were all great, with the exception of their "Hemingway Daiquiri," which was both odd and boring. Odd because it had no Maraschino and seemed to have no grapefruit juice; plus it was shaken with an egg white, which I've never encountered in any other Hemingway Daiquiri I've had. Boring because it was just sweet and frothy -- no bite of lime to temper the drink. But overall, it was a very good experience.

I just love, love, love that place. Glad I finaly got into the back room. I found that the bartenders were a little bit less overwhelmed later in the evening. It certainly was a bit busy early on with everyone arriving at the same time and ordering drinks.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 9 months later...

VTR was named one of the "Best Bars in America" by Esquire.

A baby grand piano provides the background to the low din of conversation. A tiny black-and-white TV plays old movies on mute. The lighting is like looking through the amber haze of a whiskey bottle. The meticulously created scene is meant to bring the focus back to the booze, which is why decorum is as important to Nasvytis as the homemade bitters are.