• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's in the markets in August

What’s in the markets in France in August

The following are in full season in August: anchovies, sardines, tuna, bar, crabs, calamari, ceteau, lobster, langoustines, coalfish, sole and mussels; beef, duck and pheasant; brie de Meaux, camembert, gaperon, Munster, Neufchatel, Pont l’Eveque, goat cheeses, l’Epoisses, Chaource and Reblochon; broccoli, fennel, frisee, herbs, sorrel, green beans, tomatoes, garlic, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, potatoes and fraiches (basil, parsley, chives, coriander, tarragon, etc); cepes; almonds, brugnons, figs, mirabelles, grapes, quince, plums, peaches, nectarines, melons and pears.

Once again, I’m dependent on the Almanach du Gastronomie by Armelle de Scitivaux (Bottin Goumand, 1998, 133 FF) and Regal magazine, as well timely faxes from Felice.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

What’s in the markets in France in August

The following are in full season in August: anchovies, sardines, tuna, bar, crabs, calamari, ceteau, lobster, langoustines, coalfish, sole and mussels; beef, duck and pheasant; brie de Meaux, camembert, gaperon, Munster, Neufchatel, Pont l’Eveque, goat cheeses, l’Epoisses, Chaource and Reblochon; broccoli, fennel, frisee, herbs, sorrel, green beans, tomatoes, garlic, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, potatoes and fraiches (basil, parsley, chives, coriander, tarragon, etc); cepes; almonds, brugnons, figs, mirabelles, grapes, quince, plums, peaches, nectarines, melons and pears.

Once again, I’m dependent on the Almanach du Gastronomie by Armelle de Scitivaux (Bottin Goumand, 1998, 133 FF) and Regal magazine, as well timely faxes from Felice.

In some ways I envy you Paris. You get everything early.

Many of the items you mention are not yet 'in season' in the provincal South West. Pears? Cepes? Quince? Almonds? We just have to make do.

I'll try to get to the market in Villefranche de Rouergue tomorrow & see whgat's there.

I think it's a bit too early for cèpes, especially in this hot and dry Summer. On "normal" years, yes, there are cèpes in August, especially after the 15th.

For quince it's definitely too early.

For fresh almonds, it's the peak season. I'm surprised you cannot find some where you are, being close to Languedoc, a region of production.

Are all of the Paris markets open at their usual times in August? I'll be in Paris this weekend, would love to know which ones are the best at this time of year when so much is closed.

Edited by daisy17 (log)

Are all of the Paris markets open at their usual times in August?  I'll be in Paris this weekend, would love to know which ones are the best at this time of year when so much is closed.

As far as I know they should all be open in August, however not of all of the vendors will be there. There was a noticeable decrease in the number of vendors at my market last week.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Are all of the Paris markets open at their usual times in August?  I'll be in Paris this weekend, would love to know which ones are the best at this time of year when so much is closed.

As far as I know they should all be open in August, however not of all of the vendors will be there. There was a noticeable decrease in the number of vendors at my market last week.

Last year I noted that Joel Thibault etc's presence in front of the Palais de Tokyo was anemic but my local market (Rue du Poteau) was reduced in quantity d/t the absence of customers, but in full swing in terms of variety.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Does anyone know whether it's at all possible to get purple sprouting broccoli anywhere in Paris? My father grows it in his garden in Somerset, and you can even buy it in Tescos in London these days, but I've never seen it in France and I really miss it. I can't really understand why the French aren't keen on it because it's one of the most gloriously delicious vegetables. Eating normal broccoli is like eating cow's milk mozzarella when you could have the real buffalo deal.

Does anyone know whether it's at all possible to get purple sprouting broccoli anywhere in Paris?  My  father grows it in his garden in Somerset, and you can even buy it in Tescos in London these days, but I've never seen it in France and I really miss it.  I can't really understand why the French aren't keen on it because it's one of the most gloriously delicious vegetables.  Eating normal broccoli is like eating cow's milk mozzarella when you could have the real buffalo deal.

I feel deprived, what is purple sprouting broccoli?

Something else I have never seen, but would like from time to time, is broccoli rabe. Is this an American invention along the lines of broccollini? I asked an Italien friend about broccoli rabe and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Something else I have never seen, but would like from time to time, is broccoli rabe.  Is this an American invention along the lines of broccollini?  I asked an Italien friend about broccoli rabe and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Say "cime di rapa" and he probably will know. We used to eat a lot of that in Nice when I was a child. It's really Italian.

You can get cime di rapa at Paris markets. Look for the maraîchers and the vegetable and fruit stands run by Asian people. On the marché Monge near my place, maraîcher Marc Mascetti sometimes has broccoli rabe. It is more common in France than purple-sprouting broccoli. It's not that we're "not keen" on this one, it's just that it isn't widely grown as yet.

Restaurant Pasta e Basta on the dalle de Choisy (XIIIe) makes a great antipasto of cime di rapa.

If you can't find cime di rapa, here's a hint: get some Chinese broccoli from an Asian market, it's almost the same thing.

Here's a link to a royal horticultural society webpage on purple sprouting broccoli, with pictures.

It's a winter/early spring vegetable. I've been trying to figure out whether it's the same thing as 'cime de rapa', which I'm not familiar with, but the few pictures I've found googling suggest that they're quite diferent.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/publication...03/broccoli.asp

Purple sprouting broccoli is long with small purple 'sproutlets' rather than all the sprouty bits squeezed together like supermarket broccoli. It's more tender, full of flavour and is delicious simply steamed. It's a good balance to meaty, wintery food. Sometimes when I'm on a diet (not all that often) I'll have it with a thin steak and perhaps a dash of soy sauce and it makes a very tasty simple supper.

I get the impression it's an 'older' form of broccoli i.e. pre dates the more commercially viable broccoli you find in Northern European supermarkets. Which is why I'm surprised it's not available in France where there are so many wonderful vegetables to be found in ordinary neighborhood greengrocers. I wonder whether it's a climate related thing? I do find it rather mystifying.

If only I had a garden...

Something else I have never seen, but would like from time to time, is broccoli rabe.  Is this an American invention along the lines of broccollini?  I asked an Italien friend about broccoli rabe and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Say "cime di rapa" and he probably will know. We used to eat a lot of that in Nice when I was a child. It's really Italian.

You can get cime di rapa at Paris markets. Look for the maraîchers and the vegetable and fruit stands run by Asian people. On the marché Monge near my place, maraîcher Marc Mascetti sometimes has broccoli rabe. It is more common in France than purple-sprouting broccoli. It's not that we're "not keen" on this one, it's just that it isn't widely grown as yet.

Restaurant Pasta e Basta on the dalle de Choisy (XIIIe) makes a great antipasto of cime di rapa.

If you can't find cime di rapa, here's a hint: get some Chinese broccoli from an Asian market, it's almost the same thing.

Merci beaucoup Pitipois!

I will keep my eye out for cime di rapa then. I love sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic.

And thanks Druckenbrodt, for the info on purple sprouting broccoli. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I saw of note in Villefranche de Rouergue market today.

Not a very nice day; we had a few sprinkles.

gallery_22910_3480_20881.jpg

But there was some nice stuff, just look.

gallery_22910_3480_3854.jpg

gallery_22910_3480_531.jpg

Cepes have arrived, but still expensive.

gallery_22910_3480_15019.jpg

Girolles as well, but even more expensive at 25 Euros.kg

gallery_22910_3480_9976.jpg

Some of my favorite little tomatoes.

gallery_22910_3480_1172.jpg

I found the absolute best in my opinion. Locally grown & vine ripened.

gallery_22910_3480_35024.jpg

Finally, Dessert & decoration.

gallery_22910_3480_3921.jpg

gallery_22910_3480_17508.jpg

A coffee at the cafe & home to think about dinner.