• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Mag Top 101 Cheap Eats

Sneakeater

This is the first time they've done a star system for this issue.

I agree that quite a few choices left me with a "what are they smoking cause I want some of it" feeling.

Jason: This comment didn't belong here -- "But in this sucky economy,"

not only is it objectively untrue by almost any statistical measure, but the fact that it is immensely debatable (to say the least) and not about food means that this thread could have been easily hijacked. (now if you had made that comment in 2001 or 2002....)

why is Spice on this list?

Considering that both Wondee Siam and Pam Real are at this price point and are much better...

maybe it's just the decor and lithesome clientele? But Klong has both of those and is a bit better...

Doing a star system for cheap eats is ridiculous, particularly when you don't include how much a dinner would set you back.  I'd much rather see a list with categories like:

Date places/celebration places where you won't have to sell your car to go

best of the cheap midtown lunch places

Where to eat cheap in notoriously expensive neighborhoods - like pre-theater for Lincoln Center

Places for when you're digging the change out of the sofa but you've still got a metrocard.[...]

If they won't create such categories, we can. Whoever wants to start those threads should feel free.

Michael aka "Pan"