• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any decent restaurants on Rt. 1?

I am meeting a friend from Oxford next Tuesday for dinner. I am coming from King of Prussia, so the mid-way point is about Painter's Crossing at 1 and 202. I know there are a few options in Kennett Square, but was wondering if there is anything between Painter's Crossing and Kennett square that is worth a visit? I appreciate your suggestions!

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

Check the chesco thread there are a couple good ones in the area from expensive to cheap.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I don't know of anything directly on Route 1, but if you go about 10 minutes south on Route 100, you 'll come to Krazy Kats, which certainly offers good food and outdoor dining. Route 100 is only a few minutes south on Route 1 from the 1/202 intersection.

About 15 min north on Route 1 you'll get to the exit for Thornton, the home of Pace 1, another good choice.

I'd agree that the Chester County thread should have more suggestions, but I've eaten at both of those and could recommend them.

Regards,

JasonZ

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

I am meeting a friend from Oxford next Tuesday for dinner.  I am coming from King of Prussia, so the mid-way point is about Painter's Crossing at 1 and 202.  I know there are a few options in Kennett Square, but was wondering if there is anything between Painter's Crossing and Kennett square that is worth a visit?  I appreciate your suggestions!

I don't think there's anything around Painter's Crossing that is as good as the options you'd have in Kennett (Sovana Bistro springs to mind). The best place I can think of is Wakita, a Japanese place located in a strip mall, just east of Hooters at the 202/Rt.1 intersection. Their sushi is very good. If you drive up 202 North from there a few miles you'd be in West Chester, there are quite a few good places there, the High Street Cafe is a great cajun place.

a little farther south is savonna bistro. bryan sikora, ex django owner, is cooking some real good bistro type fare. small plates and pizza also.byo too. take the 82 north exit for kennet square.about a mile or so up on the right you will find sovanna bistro tucked in a small strip type shopping area.

eta: or try buckley's tavern on rt 52 in centerville delaware.a little farther south down rt 1 from the 202 intersection, turn left onto 52 south, buckleys is about 3 or 4 miles down on the right.

Edited by wkl (log)

I meant to post this in the Chester County thread, that was my mistake. In any event, these are all great suggestions and I've never heard of any of them! Those restaurants off the beaten path I never would have found. I'll report back after I go. Thanks!

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

I meant to post this in the Chester County thread, that was my mistake.  In any event, these are all great suggestions and I've never heard of any of them! Those restaurants off the beaten path I never would have found.  I'll report back after I go.  Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with that neck-of-the-woods. But, if it's near Chadds Ford, you should go to the Gables. Great food, great decor. Special place. It's owned by the same people as Turk's Head Inn in West Chester...which is also very good.

The Gables

Not sure if I missed it, but what type of cusine and ambiance are you looking for?

For fine dining, there is Dilworthtown Inn or Gilmores (a new miles north in West Chester).

If West Chester is an option, there are a couple places on the Chester County Restaurants thread (as others have mentioned).