• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Pineapple Topic

chowchow23

it's my first time purchasing a fresh pineapple and i was wondering how to cut it? i've read many ways how but i would like your input and opinion on what ways worked for you. if you can, it would be wonderful to see a step by step guide to cut open a pineapple in pictures would be great. as well, i read there are brown eyes on the pineapple and we can't eat it so i was wondering how do we take them out and such? thanks.

http://www.howtocutapineapple.com/

edited to add: You may find it easier, once you have it peeled and have all the "eyes" cut out, to slice it in half vertically and then slice the halves vertically in half. You'll end up with long "spears" of pineapple. You can then easily slice off the hard core and cut the spears into bite-sized chunks.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I buy Pineapple on a weekly basis, its actually quite easy to deal with it once you've done it a few times.

The first thing I do is cut the bottm 1/4 inch of the pineapple off, and then I lop off the top, so that the pineapple can stand flat on its end. Then, with a carving knife or a large chef's knife, I make curved cuts down the length of the pineapple, about a 1/4 of an inch in. Six or eight of those long cuts should take all the skin off the pineapple, and it won't waste much.

Once you have removed the skin, you can then use a paring knife or other small knife to pull out the straggler eyes that are left. Once you've done that, I use the long chef's knife to cut the pineapple in quarters. The core is in the center of the pineapple and it is colored a little lighter and is much more fibrous than the flesh. Its about a half an inch in diameter, you should be able to cut it off the quartered slices very easily. Then cut up the slices into sections, then eat.

By the way, you do NOT want to throw out the pineapple skin or the cores. Make pineapple vinegar with it, or "vinagre", which is a Puerto Rican condiment with chiles that is great for using with anything that calls for vinegar.

http://www.daisycooks.com/pages/recipes_detail.cfm?ID=34

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

By the way, you do NOT want to throw out the pineapple skin or the cores.  Make pineapple vinegar with it, or "vinagre", which is a Puerto Rican condiment with chiles that is great for using with anything that calls for vinegar.

http://www.daisycooks.com/pages/recipes_detail.cfm?ID=34

Jason,

Regarding the recipe you linked to, am I missing what she does with the rest of the two pineapples? The recipe seems to just use the rind and there's no comment like "use the rest of the pineapple for some other dish" or whatever.

Also, it only calls for one tablespoon of vinegar in the recipe. Does the pineapple liquid ferment into vinegar? And how long does that take? Or is this just supposed to be vinegar-like?

I think my brother would really enjoy this condiment and I might make it for him as a birthday present.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

There is no Pineapple flesh used in the Vinagre. Just eat the stuff. The recipe only uses the rind.

One tablespoon of vinegar is sufficient, it acts as the "starter" to turn the rest of the liquid into vinegar. Takes a few days for the stuff to mature, it only gets better with time. You can add more cider vinegar if you want it to have more of that taste.

Its an excellent condiment for use on fried appetizers, roast pork or chicken sandwiches, grilled shrimp, steak kebabs, eggs, you name it. I got 3 jars of it going in my fridge.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

and also after cutting it, should i run the pineapple under warm/cold water?

You can use cold water, but only if some dirt from the outside of the pineapple got onto the part you're going to eat. By no means use hot water.

I also like to eat the fibrous core. It doesn't taste as good as the juicy part, but it's not bad and a little more roughage seldom hurts anyone.

A bit of trivia for you all: When I was living in Malaysia, I found out that there were four locally-recognized varieties of pineapple. Their Malay names were nanas, nenas, lanas, and lenas. Nanas and lanas were most common. I don't remember much difference in taste, but lanas was a bit smaller and perhaps a bit greener on the outside than nanas.

Does anyone know how many varieties of pineapple live in South America, which is where I believe the pineapple originates from?

Michael aka "Pan"

I also like to eat the fibrous core. It doesn't taste as good as the juicy part, but it's not bad and a little more roughage seldom hurts anyone.

I always eat the core when I cut up a pineapple! I always tell myself I'll eat just one and I'll end up eating all of them. I like the firm texture and it's less sweet (a really ripe pineapple can almost be too sweet for me).

Edited by Chufi (log)

Nothing's too sweet for me! Pineapple has helped me break my addiction to having a piece of chocolate every day. I have two small ones sitting in my fridge right now. They're carved in the spiral pattern described upthread. I buy them for 5,000 dong (around 30 cents) from my pineapple lady on the corner next to my work. I get crushed when she's not there! The other ladies try to sell me watermelons or magoes, but I only ever want pineapple.

I also eat the cores.

Here, as in Thailand, they're often sold with a small bag of chili powder for dipping.

jst a word to the wise about eating pineapple cores. pineapple cores contain a natural chemical that is similiar to a meat tenderizer. in most cases this is not a problem at all but certain pineapples combined with some people susceptibility can cuase your tongue to be "tenderized to the point were it hurts like all hell and can actually bleed. me and another kid personally "tested this on a trip to south america... my tongue hurt for a day but his bleed for a while and he couldnt eat for two days. just my $.02

Just to put he last post into perspective.

Fresh pineapple contains an enzyme called Bromelain, which helps in digestion. Bromelain dissolves protein, therefore the pineapple should be boiled or canned to deactivate the Bromelain before adding into milk, custards, or gelatin moulds to prevent them from curdling. Bromelain is a natural meat and poultry tenderiser and an anti-inflammatory enzyme. It reduces the risk of blood clots thereby lowering the risk for heart attack and stroke. The peripheral application of this enzyme helps reduce tissue swelling and inflammation associated with arthritis, sprains and strains. If you are sensitive to Bromelain and if you consume pineapple, skin irritation and allergic dermatitis can occur.

Pineapple is high in soluble fiber, which helps in controlling blood cholesterol. It is also a good source of ferulic acid, a plant chemical which helps to prevent the formation of cancer causing substances in the body.

So those with an allergy should avoid pineapple, the rest of us should just enjoy the benefits!

Regards,

Richard

"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"

Nungkysman: Food for the Body and the Soul.

• 17 years later...
1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

my expensive pineapple

How expensive are pineapples there? For some time, our local grocery store has been running a sale on pineapple. Two for 1,000 ($2.75) Colones or one for 1300 ($3.00) Colones. They've had this price several times in the past. I'm still trying to figure this one out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

How expensive are pineapples there? For some time, our local grocery store has been running a sale on pineapple. Two for 1,000 ($2.75) Colones or one for 1300 ($3.00) Colones. They've had this price several times in the past. I'm still trying to figure this one out.

The replacement organic pineapple I got today was $4.99.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I get these miniature pineapples from Thailand.They come peeled and eye-removed from the local fruit shop. 54 cents US a pineapple. Very juicy. The tray it's sitting in is 12 cm / 4¾" diameter".

pineapple.thumb.jpg.57f412208dc6b734973c89e10b412117.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I get these miniature pineapples from Thailand.They come peeled and eye-removed from the local fruit shop. 54 cents US a pineapple. Very juicy. The tray it's sitting in is 12 cm / 4¾" diameter".

pineapple.thumb.jpg.57f412208dc6b734973c89e10b412117.jpg

Love these.  As I'm sure you've done, I remember buying them from a kid on the beach in Thailand.  They were usually mounted on a stick for easy eating.  How they'd peel and eye them in front of you in around 30 seconds continues to amaze me.

• Like 3