• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bobby Flay showing up the little guys

chappie

I've seen a few episodes of this show now, and I think it's OK. So far, everyone seemed happy to see Bobby and none seemed upset that he was there to challenge them. Some actually seemed a bit eager to actually take him on.. From what I've seen, Bobby has been pretty complimentary towards the other competitor (and the ones I saw really were not ammertuers).

All in all, everyone seems to have a good time.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I haven't seen the show because, based on the ads, it seems really meanspirited.  I think it's just plain F'ed up to bring Booby Flay and his staff in to push the local guy off his pedestal.  It's like bringing a second turkey to Mom's house for Thanksgiving with claims that yours is better than her is.  Just wrong and uncalled for.

Surprisingly, the show (well at least the 4 episodes I've seen) doesn't come across as meanspirited at all.

Bobby Flay seems humble when he loses and doesn't gloat overly when he's won. And everyone seems to have a good time.

Yes, the "little guy" may be taken aback when Bobby and his team initially shows up. But from what I've seen so far, everyone warms up and by show's end everyone seems genuinely cool with things.

Truth to be told, I was kinda glad he lost to that Marine Captain. :laugh:

And in the chowder episode, his version did seem more appealing.  So I think he won that contest legitimately.

I told my wife at the beginning of the Marine episode. The Marine has got to win, even with a much lesser cut of meat etc.

As for the chowders....Lobster vs eel? That's a no brainer for me and I thought, rather unfair. I have no idea why Flay should get the ingredient list of his opponents. It's not fair from the start.

I've been watching the show, and am glad "the little guy" has won a few times. That being said, don't you think it would be more fair if it was JUST Bobby against the other person? Doesn't seem fair that he has two assistants helping him come up with a game plan/recipe ... seems it should be his merits against the other person's, and that would be more of a challenge.

Visit my website, Sweetnicks, for thoughts and musings related to food and life as I know it.

I think the show is alright. I guess it goes to show you that even years of schooling doesn't make you an expert. Evereyone has their own talents. Also, it's good to see the food network fill in an hour of the day with something besides $40 a Day.

I've been watching the show, and am glad "the little guy" has won a few times.  That being said, don't you think it would be more fair if it was JUST Bobby against the other person?  Doesn't seem fair that he has two assistants helping him come up with a game plan/recipe ... seems it should be his merits against the other person's, and that would be more of a challenge.

I agree. Bobby should go it alone.

This is one of the few shows that doesn't prompt a "oh GOD, do we HAVE to watch more FOODTV?!?!" from my girlfriend.........so I guess I love it.

I saw the bbq challenge for the first time last night and there were a couple of elements that struck me as very bizarre. First of all, for the most part you can count on a BBQ competition to have pretty solid judging standards and procedures (very similar to the chili throwdown judging). But instead....they get the mayor of the town to judge chicken vs. ribs. I'm guessing it was an issue with the time involved for both of them to get pits up to temp and re-do the throwdown plates. It's just weird that they take the one method of cooking that totally lends itself to being fairly judged and completely ignore it. The other thing... did Bobby even bring a smoker with him? I know that grills can be used for indirect cooking, but I didn't even see any of that. I did see a lot of smoke coming out from under the lid of his one giant Weber, but the only thing I saw was grilling.

Anyway, just strange to have a bbq competition fall that short when Bobby obviously knows what bbq is and has the chance to "throwdown" against someone who spends his life on the competition circuit. Then again, I do realize it's Food Entertainment in much the same way rasslin' is Sports Entertainment. The girlfriend digs it, so at least I get a peaceful half hour of FoodTV!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 2 months later...

Has anyone noticed that Flay is losing almost all of these "throwdowns". I think the best he's done is a tie. I'm not really surprised since he's going against people who have practically devoted themselves to a certain type of cooking. Perhaps he needs to do a Tamale throwdown.

Edited by Darin Smith (log)

I used to loathe the stale show Bobby Flay taped inside amongst his butcher, his baker and some sneering socialites, in which his ever-worsening cohost basically held a glass of wine and mingled. From the look on his face he hated it, too.

Lately I've really enjoyed the food he's been making on his solo show, Boy Meets Grill. I've come to realize the arrogance I sensed in earlier incarnations has either been tempered or was a result of bad format.

But I'm not so sure about this new gig in which he surprises some small-time champ (chowder, chili, etc.) with a "throwdown" challenge. Last night I watched as some young, eager Marine captain — The Man before his men — was duped into believing he was submitting an audition tape to Food TV, when in fact they were setting him up for a Flay throwdown. Here the guy is, in his 110-degree corner of desert where he has built up his own slice of turf and where his men seem to totally enjoy the perks of serving under a steak-grilling prizewinner (on days off he grills, and they get a break from MREs). And up comes Bobby, with a Hummer full of top-dollar slabs of beef, sauces and assistants.

On one hand, the Marines and their captain all seemed thrilled Flay — a celebrity, and probably a culinary idol of sorts to the captain — showed up to hang with them. On the other, I was wincing thinking of Bobby Flay, the multimillionaire TV star, crushing this guy's little food heaven. It seemed a tad invasive.

It didn't matter anyway. The judge picked the captain's steaks and the pecking order on this chunk of molten sand was intact. But I think the more of these "challenges" Bobby wins, the more the audience is going to lose its taste for the show.

Disclaimer: I actually read this entire thread - maybe a first for me.

Let me begin by saying I ain't a Flay fan - do those who consider themselves so call themselves "Flans?" Haven't watched a single episode and have no plans to do so.

I actually watched one of his shows a few years ago. He was attempting to commit some kind of New Orleans cookery involving crabs, doling out several uninformed pieces of advice and The Bimbette assistant asked him at one point if he knew what a "buster" was. He didn't. She did. He was clueless. Cerebrally outgunned by the Bimbette with the greater knowledge base. I changed the channel and have zipped through him while channel surfing ever since.

I'd rather, in the words of Swift, be flayed alive than forced to watch this stuff.

But, back to my point.

Apparently these challengers are not making the media splash they had all dearly, no doubt, hoped for. And I would have wished for them.

Throughout this thread is Flay, Flay, Flay and more Flay. Also, throughout this thread is "Marine," Marine Captain," etc.

It's the Unknown Soldier all over again. Poor soldier who doesn't have a name might as well have been wearing a bag over his head during the taping. I'm not going to do my research here - once through the thread is all I can do. In fact, I seem to recall that not a single challenger's name is mentioned. Flay on parade. Mingling with the little nameless people.

You Flans enjoy.

• 2 months later...

Although I'm not a great Flay fan, I do like this show and actually think that Flay losing to his opponents is a positive thing. He seems to me to be more relaxed and approachable in this format. I agree that some of the judges seemed to be picked to favor the hometown team- also, appropo of nothing at all I had an excellent meal at Mesa Grill in NYC last year so that counts for something with me.

ksoss

I don't know. Did any of you guys see the expression on the chowder guy's face when he lost? The dude looked heartbroken. Bobby was obviously gracious in victory and gave the guy his credit, but I still felt pretty bad for him.

On a random note, I have been toying with the idea of starting one of the Chuck Norris or Vin Disel "random fact" sites about Bobby Flay. Just replace "roundhouse kick" with "grilling" and it pretty much works.

Bobby Flay can cook a cow just by pointing at it and shouting, Booya!

Bobby Flay turned his own incubator into a smoker. It was the third barbecue grill he had made.

There is no brain behind any of Bobby Flay's chins. There is only another grill.

Bobby Flay once brought a steak back to life by giving it a prolonged massage with his jowls.

The reason cows moo, lambs baa, and pigs oink is because they all know they have entered a world with Bobby Flay in it.

Bobby Flay once went over Niagara Falls in a barbecue grille. The steaks were *perfect* by the time he got to the bottom.

Bobby Flay has no need of matches or lighter fluid. The coals light themselves because they know what the f***'s good for them.

Bobby Flay could cure hoof and mouth disease, Mad Cow, and anthrax if he wanted to. But he doesn't. That's just how he rolls.

Bobby Flay's couch is made out of burning mesquite.

Meat from the barbecue of Bobby Flay does not need to rest. It's been touched by The Master and that should be good enough for anyone.

When Bobby Flay was in college, he had marijuana legalized so he could use his bong as a smoker.

Edited by Reefpimp (log)

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone noticed that Flay is losing almost all of these "throwdowns". I think the best he's done is a tie. I'm not really surprised since he's going against people who have practically devoted themselves to a certain type of cooking. Perhaps he needs to do a Tamale throwdown.

Reading Terminal Market regulars recently received news that Flay bested Delilah Winder in a surprise macaroni-and-cheese Throwdown on Winder's turf.

So did the readers of The Philadelphia Inquirer, via Michael Klein's "Inqlings" gossip column. The ruse this time? FN was doing a show on the best dishes in America and wanted to feature her mac and cheese, which was anointed as best in the country by Oprah herself.

The gory details.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I would love to watch Flay read these. I bet he would be howling! You should come up with some more.

I don't know. Did any of you guys see the expression on the chowder guy's face when he lost? The dude looked heartbroken. Bobby was obviously gracious in victory and gave the guy his credit, but I still felt pretty bad for him.

On a random note, I have been toying with the idea of starting one of the Chuck Norris or Vin Disel "random fact" sites about Bobby Flay. Just replace "roundhouse kick" with "grilling" and it pretty much works.

Bobby Flay can cook a cow just by pointing at it and shouting, Booya!

Bobby Flay turned his own incubator into a smoker. It was the third barbecue grill he had made.

There is no brain behind any of Bobby Flay's chins. There is only another grill.

Bobby Flay once brought a steak back to life by giving it a prolonged massage with his jowls.

The reason cows moo, lambs baa, and pigs oink is because they all know they have entered a world with Bobby Flay in it.

Bobby Flay once went over Niagara Falls in a barbecue grille. The steaks were *perfect* by the time he got to the bottom.

Bobby Flay has no need of matches or lighter fluid. The coals light themselves because they know what the f***'s good for them.

Bobby Flay could cure hoof and mouth disease, Mad Cow, and anthrax if he wanted to. But he doesn't. That's just how he rolls.

Bobby Flay's couch is made out of burning mesquite.

Meat from the barbecue of Bobby Flay does not need to rest. It's been touched by The Master and that should be good enough for anyone.

When Bobby Flay was in college, he had marijuana legalized so he could use his bong as a smoker.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

OKAY:

Bobby Flay has two speeds: Grill and eat.

The moon is not made out of green cheese. It's made out of beef ribs Bobby Flay has flung into orbit.

Bobby Flay eats fire and craps charcoal. This is referred to as "the circle of life."

One time he punched a hole clean through a cow just to see who his next "Throwdown" contestant would be.

The coals in his grills don't just go out. They flatline.

Bobby Flay's truck runs on mesquite charcoal and chicken drippings.

Bobby Flay's barbecues sauce cures scabies, gout, dropsy, the vapors, the megrims, the fantods, and Guinea Worm. So far it has proved ineffective against bulemia.

Bobby Flay can flip a burger so high it gets tracked by NORAD

His grilling tools are custom-made from old samurai swords.

Bobby Flay has eaten more beef than Kansas City.

You know the ribs Fred Flinstone gets in the opening sequence of The Flintstones? Straight from Bobby Flay's grille.

He was once offered a salad. There were no survivors.

When Bobby Flay smokes meat, he reduces greenhouse gasses.

The idea for the Miracle of Loaves and Fishes was originally Bobby Flay's, but he's cool like that.

The theory of evolution is just a list of animals Bobby Flay thought might be good to smoke and grill someday.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Anyone see the episode with the Donut guy? He was quite the character! I almost had some sympathy for Bobby the way that guy was acting.

yup. Saw it this weekend on my TiVo.

I've watched many episodes now and I have to say that I think the Food Network does a great job of portraying the "competitor" in a good light. They always say "He thinks he is going to be profiled on the Food Network". Well, you know what, he IS. They DO profile him. Sure, Bobby shows up and challenges him, but they still show the other "competitor" in a good, positive light. They really pump them up and sell 'em.

For the donut guy, Bobby was very complimentary. He knew who he was, he enjoyed his donuts, etc. etc.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 2 months later...

I just saw Bobby's latest throwdown "Battle Cheesecake" against Alan Rosen of Junior's Cheesecake. Both cheesecakes had me drooling. Rosen's was a Devil's Food cheesecake while Bobby's was a caramel apple walnut rendition. Both appealed to me since I love chocolate and cheesecake so combining the best of both worlds just gives me more to love. Apples and cheese are a natural fit of course.

Well SURPRISE, Bobby won! It obviously tasted as good as it looked and it looked wonderful. The judges remarked that it was a difficult decision but that they gave the edge to Bobby's cake for being more creamy and sophisticated, and that the Junior's entry, while very good, the cheesecake itself was overwhelmed by the chocolate. Personally I can still see myself enjoying both immensely and neither recipe seems to be beyond the reach of a decent home cook.

Flay's Caramel Apple Cheesecake

I would have posted a link to the Junior's recipe but the one given on the Food Network website is screwed up such as giving ingredients for the devil's food cake portion but instructions for a sponge cake :blink: and the rest of it doesn't match Mr. Rosen's on air prep at all.

Rosen was obviously a bit shocked and disappointed but Flay gave him his props and I thought that both men handled the situation graciously with good humor. As competitive as I think Bobby Flay is, sometimes I've gotten the impression that he's "thrown" a few of these matches in favor of the hometown guy or gal.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

As competitive as I think Bobby Flay is, sometimes I've gotten the impression that he's "thrown" a few of these matches in favor of the hometown guy or gal.

Well, Flay has said, I think on his website, that he's lost throwdowns where he thought he might have been better. And as people might have gathered, his record in the first season was abysmal: 3-10-1. He's already appearing to do a little better in the second season, having won two already, out of six. Since the show is now known and some contestants seem savvy enough to anticipate it, perhaps the producers are letting Bobby win a little more often.

This is from the blog of a throwdown judge (jerk chicken.) I wonder if Flay knows about this? One hopes this is isolated, or at least rare.

http://negroshire.blogspot.com/2006/08/bob...y-tv-debut.html

Angela must have been a great hit on the powers that be because they really wanted her to win and they were going to make it happen.

"But what if we think Bobby's is better?" I asked.

"Angela will win. Two will vote for her and one will vote for Bobby. You decide who." said The Powers That Be (TPTB).

Stewart and I were thrown for a minute. But hey, it's television, not the real world.

To make it easier, TPTB suggested that I vote in favor of Grillin' Bob.

"No way."

TPTB: "Excuse me?"

"There's no way that I, as a black woman [of Caribbean ancestry] am going to vote against another black woman on national tv over black food. It's not going to happen."

Mildly confused, TPTB simply said: "Fine. Whatever. Stewart, you do it."

Less egregious, and in the other direction, Tobin Ellis stated the following in his extensive article about the experience:

http://www.barmagic.com/cutoffaug06.pdf

I lobbied the producers to let me make the

Raspberry Mojave or the [] as my official competition

cocktail because I knew there was no way he could beat

that drink. No dice. I had to make and enter the totally unproven, unrefined Serengeti. Now I knew it

would be close. And it was. Incredibly. Strangely enough, both our cocktails looked strikingly similar. (I

wonder if he has some inside intel on my recipe. Hmmm....) It was looking too close to call. In fact, I

found out later the producers told the judges no ties were allowed which is interesting, because the

judges said otherwise, it would have been.

Again, I wonder if Flay knew about this. In his voiceover, he expresses surprise that Ellis would "choose" not to compete with his proven award winners. Also, there has been a tied throwdown (chili).

My own opinion, which is completely speculative, is that the producers more or less make up the rules based on their read of the competitor and the situation. For example, if a competitor were really upset by the surprise and didn't want to participate, what're the producers supposed to do? Cancelling would probably not be an option. Isn't it in the realm of possibility that they might, as a last resort, guarantee victory in order to secure participation?

Thanks for the inside intel Leonard. I guess I shouldn't be shocked or disappointed since this is the Food Network after all, jive ass to the bitter end.

To backtrack a little bit, I really didn't know what to make of the show when it first debuted. It was an interesting premise, but showing up unexpectedly to challenge a blindsided cook/chef in front of his/her family, friends, colleagues and oftentimes clients seemed a bit unfair and even cruel. But Bobby has always come through with a lot of respect for the competitor, so I keep watching since I love watching someone, meaning the competitors, who has devoted themselves to preparing and perfecting just one type of food and never seem to lose their enthusiasm for doing so.

Back to the topic at hand, the one throwdown I felt was most definitely fixed was the one that pitted him against the Marine, Captain D., who was an expert at making steaks. No way, given what's currently going on in this country and the world, would they have Bobby beat this guy in front of his fellow Marines, and he didn't. On other occasions, I thought that maybe, if not throwing a contest, that he didn't put his best food forward, doing things so differently as to pretty much guarantee that he would lose; the fried chicken battle comes to mind.

I find the comments of the jerk chicken judge to be rather hypocritical. Though we may share the same ethnic background, for her to express dismay that the contest was fixed but then state that she would "never" vote against a Black woman cooking that type of food as a matter of principle, makes her no more ethical than the show's producers. The back story on the cocktail contest explains a lot since it made no sense to me whatsoever when I watched it that the competitor wouldn't go with his slam dunk. Like you, I'd really like to know if Bobby is in on "The Big Fix."

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!