• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brown Rice

I like it quite a bit. It has a subtle nuttier flavor, in my opinion. Plus, you can't beat the extra nutritional content of brown rice. I usually do a 1:1 substitution in dishes calling for white rice without any problems, although you do have to take into account that brown rice takes about 45-50 minutes to gently cook on the stovetop.

Any restaurants that offer it, I usually get that over white rice. Although I've found that you have to be careful -- some places that offer brown rice actually mean fried rice.

Edited by tino27 (log)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Rice is my main source of carbohydrate and until just recently that means white polished rice. Now I switch between brown long grain and brown short grain just to break the monotony. Brown basmati, Japanese type brown short grain and glutenous brown rice are all available where I live. There is also a premium brown which comes out right after the rice harvest (from California). In addition to taking longer to cook (I use a rice cooker and live it on for another half hour after it has automatically clicked to done) I find that it is also a lot chewier which means that it takes me longer to eat through my usual portion.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

:cool:

I like it now and then, as a change of pace. Cooked with a little butter and a pinch or two of sea salt, it makes a nice hot breakfast cereal, mixed with whatever fruit is in season, a little cinnamon sugar maybe, and some yogurt.

Cooked with good chicken stock and white wine and maybe a finely chopped shallot, it's not half bad as the 'rice' end of beans 'n' rice.

I would absolutely agree that human beings should never be obliged to eat badly prepared brown rice.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I quite like brown rice. I enjoy the nutty, chewiness of it. That said however, I have never actually bought it. I'm amazed at the range of "brown rice" available elsewhere, I think we only have a calrose type medium grain available to us.

Short-grained brown rice is wonderful with certain foods, especially in cool weather with roasted vegetables, brussel sprouts, sauteed greens or winter squash and a simply prepared bird or chop. I like adding a generous sliver of butter to the water after it comes to a boil and always follow Madhur Jaffrey's advice, putting a cloth towel under the lid when it's done and letting the pot sit for 10 minutes.

I'm indifferent when it comes to long-grain brown rice; while it's chewy it doesn't have the same starchy, clinging effect that makes one person say it's good as a hot breakfast cereal. I would never give up white, polished short grain rice for risotto, medium grain for Asian dishes or white Basmati.

On the other hand, even supermarkets are starting to carry "exotic" red and black rices. For nutritional benefits of brown rice, here's one source.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Brown rice is really good, and it's a whole lot better for you than white rice. I like Texmati brand. It's a little more expensive than some of the others, but the flavor is worth it.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

we eat it now because it's so much better for you--it's ok--I prefer a delicious thai jasmine rice to any other rice and could probably live on it pretty easily.

that said--get the best quality brown rice you can--we get it at the Asian grocer--what ever looks the nicest--a tip--if it has a little green at one tip that seems to translate into better rice--this is just from my experience--no proof of this.

actually I made a quick fried rice with some leftover brown rice with a couple eggs and some veggies the other day for lunch and it was delicious.

Zoe

I don't think that human beings should be allowed to eat brown rice.

Ok, Mr. Perlow, I'll bite (so to speak).

:smile:

Why not? Have you had that nasty brown rice that's all full of husks? Too "granola" for you? Just curious...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I make a lovely brown rice/bulghar wheat pilauf with chicken or beef stock, golden raisons and currents, some sauteed onion, garlic, and fresh thyme. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 50-60 minutes. It also helps, too, if you let it rest for about 15 minutes before serving it.

Even my grandparents (who come from an age of completely pre-processed foods) like it.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

tino27, I was just going to say that I make a bulgur/brown rice dish very much like yours (except I add almonds or hazlenuts as well) that I bet would change anyone's mind about brown rice. Admittedly, I'm using less and less brown rice in it these days and more and more bulgur....I just ike the taste better and the nutritional profile's not SO different (I don't think).....in fact we've completely replaced white rice with bulgur in our cooking and don't miss it at all...

mark

We've got at least 4 types of brown rice from the Natural Food coop (Fresh and Natural).

I put it in the Zojirushi Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker, add chopped celery, chopped carrots, sometimes chopped shallot and/or chopped portabellas (or any combination of the above), a dash of EVOO and a pinch of salt.

Makes an excellent accompaniment with almost anything that I would eat with rice as a side dish.

doc

I use a mixture of brown rice and white japanese rice when cooking. I use about two table spoons of brown to a cup of white. I also soak the brown before adding it to the white in my rice cooker.

Have any of you tried purple rice? I've been making it lately and my family loves it. I think more of a novelty. I use a cup and half of regular white janpanse rice and add two table spoonse of toasted korean sweet rice. The mixture when cooked comes out purple. Also adds a nice deep nutty flavor.

I love brown rice! I can get the short grain variety in the supermarket now and we don't even eat white rice any more; except when someone requests the spinach-rice that usually accompanies the meal in the steak restaurants around here. For that, I have to have advance notice because I don't even buy white rice any more!

What I have noticed is that I can get brown or white in a Japanese restaurant, but for Chinese take out, I can only get white rice. It took about three years of asking but now at least our favorite local Chinese take away now offers brown rice!

Thanks for the pilauf recipes above, they sound great...

• 1 month later...
Short-grained brown rice is wonderful with certain foods, especially in cool weather with roasted vegetables, brussel sprouts, sauteed greens or winter squash and a simply prepared bird or chop.  I like adding a generous sliver of butter to the water after it comes to a boil and always follow Madhur Jaffrey's advice, putting a cloth towel under the lid when it's done and letting the pot sit for 10 minutes.

I'm indifferent when it comes to long-grain brown rice; while it's chewy it doesn't have the same starchy, clinging effect that makes one person say it's good as a hot breakfast cereal.  I would never give up white, polished short grain rice for risotto, medium grain for Asian dishes or white Basmati. 

On the other hand, even supermarkets are starting to carry "exotic" red and black rices.  For nutritional benefits of brown rice, here's one source.

Several posts including this one, zoe, and missAmy, refer to superior nutritional benefits of brown rice. The source url provided here is useful and informative, though leaning toward a health food bias.

But now that we have nutritional labels on packaged foods, I can compare basic nutritional levels between brown ice and white rice.

There is not much to choose from, except in fibre.

Carbohydrate, fat, protein, Vit. B, and iron are about the same. Fibre content is better, but well below bran cereals, or Ryevita biscuits.

Until the nutrition labels yield more information, I am going to stay with rice that offers good flavour, scent, and texture. Including some (say one quarter) short grained, green tipped brown varities.

I'm Sephardic. We eat a LOT of rice. I adore rice. I ADORE brown rice!

edited by me to add: breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06