• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch Suggestions for Tomorrow

I know it's short notice, but I would like to entertain 2 very close friends for lunch tomorrow for their birthday in either Union, Middlesex or Essex Counties. If you highly recommend another restaurant outside the area, we're game. I guess we are looking for suggestions on a quailty dining establishment that is somewhat reasonable for 4 adults. It should have a nice selection of entrees, but it doesn't need to have a liquor license, although it could be an option. Cuisine is your choice. Thanks so much for assisting me on such short notice.

I'd definitely follow Rosie's rec for Basilico. I've never been to the restaurant myself, but they were among the best of the restaurants at the NJ Taste of the Nation event a few months ago. They had a porcini mushroom lasagne dish that was truly outstanding.

gallery_2_2848_25330.jpg

Here is the link to the rest of the thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1185371

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Raymond's on Church Street in Montclair does a wonderful lunch. If the weather is agreeable, they have nice outdoor seating on the wide sidewalk under giant umbrellas.

Verjus in Maplewood also does a wonderful lunch, terrific, creative menu. Bon appétit!

I would like to suggest our restaurant, Restaurant David Drake in Rahway. We were just chosen as the readers' pick in New Jersey Monthly as the best new restaurant (north) The food is fabulous, we have a liquor license and I just had MY birthday lunch there, last week!! :biggrin:

Lori

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who was able to provide a lunch destination for me on such short notice. We did dine at Basilico and it was a very nice meal in addition to a stroll through the park. I will certainly have to try the other recommendations in the coming weeks. Thanks again!