• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pho in Northern Jersey

Laksa

I'm amazed that the search for pho in the NJ forum yielded 0 results.

So folks, where do they serve a good bowl?

I've tried two places. Last weekend at the Vietnamese restaurant in East West Plaza in Belleville, by far the better of the two, but I find the soup a little watered down.

No beef tendon or the peppery beef sausage in the soup. Even when you order the extra large extra super-duper special beef pho, beef balls will cost a buck extra.

The other pho place is barely worth mentioning. It's the small cafe/take-out annex of the Kam Man supermarket in East Hanover. I'm sure they serve some decent noodle soups but I won't count pho among them. The folks running the joint are not Vietnamese but Fujianese Chinese -- culinary chameleons of the Western world.

My choice for Pho would have to be either Mo Pho Noodles in Fort Lee or Saigon R. In Englewood. Both are owned by the same owner. The "Crazy Mo Pho" has the works in it (Beef, Chicken, Pork, Beef Balls, Shrimp) but the real draw is the intensity of their broth. Here's a photo I took of it:

gallery_2_4_1098409713.jpg

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=48049

Little Saigon in Montclair also does a very nice Pho.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i've found the pho at Little Saigon in Montclair to be not only the best in north jersey, but the best anywhere i've had it.

fyi, the egullet search engine can't handle anything less than 4 letters ("pho", for example). use the google search instead.

Edited by tommy (log)

i've found the pho at Little Saigon in Montclair to be not only the best in north jersey, but the best anywhere i've had it.

fyi, the egullet search engine can't handle anything less than 4 letters ("pho", for example).  use the google search instead.

Of the two places, Mo Pho and Little Saigon, Little Saigon is the most "authentically" Vietnamese. I like them both, however. Little Saigon's broth is the more clear type and Mo Pho's is the more intensely flavored but its cloudier. Little Saigon has the more authentic meat in it where as Mo Pho is trying to attract more Western diners so it uses better cuts of meat.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Little Saigon's broth is the more clear type and Mo Pho's is the more intensely flavored but its cloudier.

i haven't found that to be the case. Little Saigon is known for their deep intense broth. However, given the cooking method that goes into this broth, I can understand how there could be inconsistencies.

as far as "better cuts of meat", well, i suppose that's completely subjective. but i've always like the beef LS serves for its rare beef pho. could be tenderloin, but i'm guessing it's not.

I agree about Saigon R. I find it to be a very intense, very complex flavor. It seems that they do truly simmer the broth for 24 hours. The raw beef shreds dumped into the hot soup cooks them just enough, and the other vegetable accoutrements make for a fabulous, delicious soup. Pho is probably their best and most authentic Vietnamese dish on the menu.

Little Saigon's broth is the more clear type and Mo Pho's is the more intensely flavored but its cloudier.

i haven't found that to be the case. Little Saigon is known for their deep intense broth. However, given the cooking method that goes into this broth, I can understand how there could be inconsistencies.

as far as "better cuts of meat", well, i suppose that's completely subjective. but i've always like the beef LS serves for its rare beef pho. could be tenderloin, but i'm guessing it's not.

Little Saigon's Pho is excellent. If I lived closer I'd probably be eating there as much as I do Mo Pho or Saigon R.

After reading this thread earlier in the week, I have had a hankering for Pho the past few days! So, this evening my wife and I went for our first trip to Little Saigon. What can I say? The Pho was absolutely delicious. I would concur that the broth has a intense flavor, one that I enjoyed so much I had to finish it all!

My wife decided to go for the cubed beef (Bu Luc Lac? apologies my my non-existent Vietnamese language skills). That was great as well, the beef being well seasoned and cooked to perfection. Soft, tender, and packed full of flavor.

No complaints about the service, although it did take a little bit of time for my wife to get her drink.

I look forward to paying Little Saigon a repeat visit.

Jason

I cruised by Mo' Pho last night. I'd never had pho before and wanted to give it a shot. I had the summer roll and the pho with beef meatballs. Both were quite good, but the summer roll wasn't totally outstanding. I felt like I'd had it before.

The pho reminded me of ramen with a very Vietnamese flair. The broth was delicious. I put a bit of Sriracha in there for a kick and I FELT it while eating. A little of that stuff goes a long way.

I walked around a little bit afterwards; there was a little bubble tea shop just up the street, where I had the best bubble tea I've ever had. They had the funkiest plastic takeaway cup, too; it resembled the sundae glass of yesteryear.

I think I'd go again if I was in the area for sure.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

The summer rolls at Mo Pho are decent but for the most part, the place is all about the pho and the other hot dishes she does. Her spring rolls are awesome.