• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet's L'il August Reading Supplement

moosnsqrl

I just picked up my mail and found the latest . . .

There is a literary supplement featuring a variety of essays, many of which look promising. Two that caught my eye were from Calvin Trillin (a hometown KC guy and extremely witty, if you're not politically at the opposite pole) and David Rakoff (one of my favorite essayists and a frequent contributor to This American Life on NPR). I'm exercising uncharacteristic self-control and saving them for tomorrow's coffee.

On to my usual initial perusal of the regular magazine, discovered that our own charcuterie expert, M. Ruhlman, has a nice paean to the <haute> dog. Interesting "stuff" (pun intended).

My own personal favorite dogs come from a local (KS) business called Bossie's Best (they were featured in Gourmet or Bon Appetit a couple of years ago). They're skinless (Michael understandably ignores that end of the spectrum spectrum, since most of the lame dogs are) and uncured (again, making them something of an anomaly), but damn they're good.

I have to applaud his opening line, though:

Some people think of hot dogs as having more disgusting parts and unmentionable fillers than a Senate appropriations bill.

If only the non-food journalists were so hard-hitting and, um, (dare I say it?) frank. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Often my many food mags stack up, but the newest Gourmet just came with a sweet little mini-mag full of real food writing by novelists like Jane Smiley and Monique Truong, stories that concern food but are really weightier essays rather than mere odes to various foods or entertainment themes. There is stuff from Jane and Michael Stern, Calvin Trillin and many more, that explores material beyond their usual themes (sorry I can't get at my copy right now to be more specific, because I'd love to tell you all what and who else is in it). I confess that so far I have only had the time to glimpse the table of contents and read the first two or three brief, pithy, delightful stories, but it looks maybe meatier than the usual Gourmet fare, more worldly and broad, and is a great read so far. I like I like.

Anyone else seen it yet?

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

My copy showed up in the mail just yesterday so all I have done is to give it a brief cursory look but, even at that, it seems weighty and engaging...

If you like the supplement, then do yourself a favor and look into getting a copy of Alimentum Journal ... mentioned at eGullet right here . :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I've really enjoyed the few pieces I've read so far. I got a subscription to Gourmet as a gift, and I wouldn't normally buy it (most of the stuff in there seems like fluff), but if perhaps the regular magazine was the supplement and the supplement became the main attraction I'd be more inclined to read it.

It's so great to see this type of food writing turn up in a mainstream publication. Some really strong writers and great essays in there. I have only read a few, but I am really looking forward to reading the rest of them.

there is some seriously great prose as well as some quite beautiful illustrations in there as well. if any Gourmet staff are reading this: see above.

:biggrin:

and then include a supplement like this four times a year... :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

there is some seriously great prose as well as some quite beautiful illustrations in there as well. if any Gourmet staff are reading this: see above.

:biggrin:

and then include a supplement like this four times a year...  :smile:

Thanks for pointing this out, I will pick up a copy, assuming the supplement is available in newsstand copies as well. If writing of this caliber became standard again in Gourmet, I'd consider renewing the subscription of 12 years I finally gave up a year ago. Haven't missed it even little bit.

i'm down to my last essay to read...and it is going into my bookshelf with the Oxford American Food Issue our own Racheld was kind enough to wrest from some slutty .... er, misguided teenage females.

do not miss the Trillin essay "With the Grain" that is wonderfully nostalgic and enticing at the same time; "Some Pig" by David Rafoff about the love affair between Jews and pork (who would have thought that pork was a protest meat?), "The Taste of Home" by Junot Diaz about his love as a Dominican for what his mom called "American food" - actually in his case Japanese; i ached for Moique Truong and more for her mother

in "American, Like Me" when the author only wanted to fit in and her mom did what she had been trained to do; Sietsema's essay on the Offal Eating Society made me laugh out loud - as I was ordering lunch and then have to explain to the barmaid why I was laughing about eating p#)&s ... now off to read "Fantasy Island" by Cynthia Zarin....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I just finished mine and loved it. The Sterns' essay was hilarious. The illustrations/vignettes about breakfast by the childrens' book author (I forget her name) were beautiful and unexpectedly touching. I'd LOVE to see this become a regular publication-once or twice a year at least?? Please?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Pulling a very dated thread forward! I've been trying unsuccessfully to track down a copy of this supplement, which I received back in 2006 as part of my subscription, but have since lost it and moved houses. I messaged with Ruch Reichl about 3 years ago and she wasn't able to send me one. Have looked on ebay and not finding. Any tips would be welcome! I loved reading it and there are several essays in there that I still think of regularly. I'd even be happy with a PDF scan or the like. Many thanks.