• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some spaetzle makers may think this is sacrilegious, but I bought a special spaetzle maker when I lived in Germany. It was similiar to a cheese grater and it came with a flat dough scraper. Basically, you ladle some of the batter on top and move the scraper back and forth over a pot of boiling water. It made perfect spaetzle everytime.

It seems that the Spaetzle makers have gotten a little more sophisticated.

I always sauteed my spaetzle in butter, garlic and a little onion and then put it in a casserole and sprinkled cheese on top and flash broiled it. Yum.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Some spaetzle makers may think this is sacrilegious, but I bought a special spaetzle maker when I lived in Germany. It was similiar to a cheese grater and it came with a flat dough scraper. Basically, you ladle some of the batter on top and move the scraper back and forth over a pot of boiling water. It made perfect spaetzle everytime.

It seems that the Spaetzle makers have gotten a little more sophisticated.

I always sauteed my spaetzle in butter, garlic and a little onion and then put it in a casserole and sprinkled cheese on top and flash broiled it.  Yum.

I have seen these devices but it seems to me that they rely on gravity to work proprly and if that is the case then the dough is too thin. I find that it needs to be thicker and be forced through the holes or it becomes a big soggy mess in the boiling water.

I have seen these devices but it seems to me that they rely on gravity to work proprly and if that is the case then the dough is too thin. I find that it needs to be thicker and be forced through the holes or it becomes a big soggy mess in the boiling water.

The batter should be thick and yes, you should let it rest for 10-15 minutes before using it. At least the way I learned how to make it in Schwaebish Hall where I used to live.

This the recipe I use:

Schwaebische Spaetzle

500g all purpose flour

4 eggs

1 tsp. salt

1 large glass of water (approx. 1 cup (US))

Mix the flour and salt together. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the eggs and then the water. The truth is that I mix it in a mixer and add the eggs one at a time and then add the water. Mix until it is thoroughly mixed and let rest for 10-15 minutes.

I knew I should have re-read this thread before trying my spätzle recipe. Potato ricer and 15 minute rest. Next time, I guess...

I thought I was being all clever using the largest disk on my food mill. What a sticky mess! But no complaints once I actually got the f***ers into the boiling water. The shape was perfect, the size was perfect, the texture was perfect and they tasted good too.

Sort of amusing when A called from Munich and asked what I was having for dinner...

I don't get the fashion for forming spätzle in long strands like noodles. the little goobers are much more appealing. Is it some sort of regional thing?

The mixture should be pretty dry…thicker than a milkshake for sure. I use an Ikea pasta colander with holes about the size of a pencil. Let the mixture drop through the colander bit by bit into boiling water  (you should have to help it through with a rubber spatula). Let it cook for a minute then drain them and dump them into a greased casserole dish.

Well, I guess "thick" and "thin" batter are a little subjective... (referring to my earlier post that I find I sometimes need to thin the recipe I use). "Thicker than a milkshake" could fit the description of my dough... I use a device that seems similar to what Swiss_Chef describes. It is just a a metal bowl with a handle attached and holes ~ the size of a pencil. You push the dough thu with a wooden spoon or spatula.

I haven't had a problem re: the spaetzle sticking together--maybe they do a little right out of the chute, but they separate as they cook and float to the top of the water. I do make the noodles in batches so that they are not too crowded. (maybe sticking would occur if they are crowded?).

Interesting point re: the length of the spaetzle Behemoth. Mine tend to not be that long; i.e. closer to "little sparrows" perhaps... :smile:

Glad you made progress in your recipe Adam; I think experience does count with the different recipe styles in order to 'learn' what the dough should look and feel like. Flour can vary in moisture content as well so one does have to adjust even within the context of a given recipe.

Saw this point made in an article on line:

If you are using a spaetzle mill, simply push the dough through it into the boiling salted water. If you do not have a mill, balance a colander (the largest you own) on the rim of the pot in which the water is boiling. Make sure that the water is at least 8 inches below the colander or the dough will simply congeal from the steam. Use a large wooden spoon to press thedough through the holes in the colander into the water.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 1 month later...
i recently made some spaetzle using mixing in a porcini powder (i grinded dried porcini in a mini food processor) - was using a spaetzle maker: came out very nice:

Nice photo, and thanks for sharing that idea! The only thing I've tried adding to this point has been lots of chopped fresh parsley. Looks pretty and adds a nice taste as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Just to add a data point---I've only made spaetzle once, using a recipe I happened to find in the Zuni Cafe cookbook, so this is hardly an authentic source. The interesting thing is that the recipe (which I don't have in front of me, sorry, I can look it up if there's interest) uses cake flour rather than all-purpose flour. I don't have the gluten data and don't know if this makes a difference, but it would be an interesting experiment. They turned out great, at least according to my daugther, who is a spaetzle addict. But it was a pain forcing the batter through the holes of a colander, which is the best option I had available.

Adam, the potato ricer may be part of your problem too. I tried using one of those (once) as an alternative to cutting from a board or forcing through the @^&*$ colander; unfortunately the holes were too small and too close together. The end result was yer basic Big Floating Wad O' Sludge.

Gonna treat myself to one of those grater-with-a-hopper style spaetzle makers, someday reeeeallll soon now.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 year later...

I am making fresh spaetzle for the first time.. I am boiling and then frying... I have the dough made already.. What is the best way to prepare it.. I am going to boil for a few seconds and then place in an ice bath.. Should I keep the spaetzle in the ice bath for a couple of hours until its ready to be fried.. Or should I just add some olive oil and leave in a bowl in the fridge?

Boil them in small batches so that there will be ~ a layer of spatzle in the pan. It usually takes a few minutes. After they float to the surface, let them cook for 30 sec-1 min more and then remove them with a skimmer and spread them out to cool on a cookie sheet. When they are all done, toss with a little melted butter or olive oil and store covered in the fridge in a bowl/container. They'll keep fine this way for one to two days even and then can either be rewarmed briefly in boiling water, pan fried or baked with cheese in a type of gratin.

Hey thanks Ludja.. You seem like you have done this before :biggrin: What do you think the best way to make the spaetzle.. Should I use a grater or a colander.. Also should I have my dough cooled or room temp when doing it?

Daniel,

I never put them in ice water. I have a spaetzle form and I scrape the dough over the form, directly into the hot water. Then you can fry or bake it or serve it right away. I let the batter rest for 10-15 minutes before using it.

I love it baked with cheese and grilled onions. :wub:

This is my spaetzle form. I bought it in Schwaebish Hall, where I used to live.

I haven't experimented with different temperatures of the dough--it's always been at RT. As with pasta, it's good to have a big pot of salted water going at a good boil so that the boil returns quickly after adding the spaetzle.

I haven't used either so you might try which one seems to work better or maybe someone else will chime in. If your grater is a flat sheet type (rather than a box) that might be a little easier than the colander. The traditional old fashioned way is another option--that I haven't ever tried. Have the dough on a flat wooden cutting board or some other surface and cuts thin shreds of batter off with a knife directly into the water.

I have a type of spaetzle maker which is basically a metal bowl with a handle and ~ 1/4 inch holes on the bottom. Then, you just press the dough through the bottom with a big wooden spoon.

Sometimes the dough thickens up a bit over the course of cooking the different batches; if so, you can add a little more water to thin it out a bit.

It is also a good idea to make a few test spaetzle with the dough and taste them. If they seem too heavy, add a little more water to the dough.

We do have a pretty long spatzle thread here somewhere, I'll try to see if I can find it and provide a link as well.

Edited by ludja (log)

Should I use a grater or a colander...

Looking back through the old threads, I saw that someone also use a food mill for making them. IThis could be another option, if you have one with variable holes, you could try using the plate with the largest holes. I woud just put the plate in the bottom of the food mill and then push the dough through with a wooden spoon though--rather than using the top of the food mill to force the dough through.

Thanks for the links, swisskaese. :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

After mashed potatoes, spaetzle is my favorite starch.

I used to have a small broiler pan with 1/4 inch holes in it. I would force spaetzle dough through with a rubber scraper. Now I have the rotary grater type which sits in thin board with a hole big enough for the grater to sit in, and it's lots easier than the sliding type my daughter has.

Here's my favorite trick for seasoning spaetzle: when making something from phyllo pastry, I never clarify the butter. The fat part will cling to a pastry brush and leave the milky solids behind. I save the solids in the freezer for seasoning the spaetzle, using about 1/2 cup or more to a batch. You pack in the flavor this way, whereas if you used this much straight butter the dumplings would be greasy.

If I serve spaetzle with gravy or sauce from a meat dish, I add only a little butter.

For a vegetable/starch dish, combine seasoned spaetzle with sauteed matchstick cut vegetables like carrots and zucchini. If reheating the spaetzle, no need to precook the zucchini, but do steam carrots until barely tender.

Or, combine barely cooked chopped spinach with spaetzle. I just throw the spinach in the cooking water before draining the spaetzle, then drain and butter all. I'm likely to throw in some chopped green onions or chives with the vegetable versions.

Edited to add: you can use the spinach trick with egg noodles, also, medium cut preferred.

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

we make spaetzle at the restaurant. just a few things that we've noticed makes a difference. using a ricer makes the finished product lighter. when you put the dough into the ricer put the ricer directly into the water and squeeze as hard as you can to force it out rather then just letting it come out on it's own. leave the ricer in the water for about 20 secs and then cut of the cooked spatetzel. scrape the excess dough off of the ricer. once cooked we put our into ice water. after it's cooled we let it drain a dry out a bit. then cook however you want.

bork bork bork

I never tried this but how about using a pastry bag with a small tip? Just use a knife to cut the stream of Spaetzle when you get the desired lenght. In fact, I guess you could vary the tip sizes to create different widths of spaetzle.

Jeff

• 4 months later...

Bump - would like to make some spaetzle to serve with a pork tenderloin with an apple/prune cream sauce for Christmas. Any suggestions about the best way to make them a day or two in advance and then serve them? Unless I can find a spaetzle maker at Williams Sonoma - or Bed Bath & Beyond - I'll be making them with a potato ricer. Robyn

I think your method for making them is fine. I would drop them into boiling water until cooked through, toss with butter or olive oil, then store in the fridge. When ready to serve, I would heat up a frying pan with butter or olive oil and saute lightly until heated through. If serving more than two days later, you can simply freeze (don't bother to add butter or oil) then boil and saute if desired. Good luck.