• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I made spätzel for the first time last night.

500 gms bread flour

100 gms fine semolina

6 eggs

250 gms drained curd cheese

Water

This was mixed together, water added until a cake mixture type batter was acheived, rested for 30 minutes and put through ricer. Spätzel cooked in water, browned in butter with sage, and flavoured with Austrian pumpkin seed oil.

OK, they were fine, but the mixture was very elastic and this ment that there was clumping of the spätzel as they came out of the ricer. Should flour with less gluten be used?

I made spätzel for the first time last night.

500 gms bread flour

100 gms fine semolina

6 eggs

250 gms drained curd cheese

Water

This was mixed together, water added until a cake mixture type batter was acheived, rested for 30 minutes and put through ricer. Spätzel cooked in water, browned in butter with sage, and flavoured with Austrian pumpkin seed oil.

OK, they were fine, but the mixture was very elastic and this ment that there was clumping of the  spätzel as they came out of the ricer. Should flour with less gluten be used?

My SIL uses regular german-brand AP flour...I'm not sure how it differs from American AP in terms of gluten, but certainly less than bread flour.

What? Not everone lives in the US? :wink:

Here is the recipe she gave me -- I haven't gotten around to trying it yet:

200 grams flour

2 eggs

1/2 tsp salt

5 tbsp water

It is basically just a straightforward pasta recipe. Yours looks like a swanked up version, what with the cheese and semolina. I bet the cheese is the culprit more than the flour.

It's called "Spätzle", to be pedantic. In South Germany and Austrian Voralberg there's special "Spätzlemehl". It's coarser then the usual. Type 405, some websites say. (I think 1000 is fully grinded).

For "Käsespätzle" (cheese spätzle), you mix after boiling the spätzles, AFAIK, and make a gratin or mix in a pan.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

It's called "Spätzle", to be pedantic. In South Germany and Austrian Voralberg there's special "Spätzlemehl". It's coarser then the usual. Type 405, some websites say. (I think 1000 is fully grinded).

For "Käsespätzle" (cheese spätzle), you mix after boiling the spätzles, AFAIK, and make a gratin or mix in a pan.

Duh, Damn spelling. Should it be "Spätzles" rather then ""Spätzle"" is it plural?

Pedant. :raz:

For Kaesespaetzle as far as I know you just grate some Emmanthaler over the top and bake for a while.

My guess is Spaetzle is already plural, because of the umlaut over the A. (Damn my current umlaut-free keyboard!) One spatzle, two spaetzles? Or? :smile:

My new favorite German word: Kluempchen -- aka What you don't want to get when mixing the dough.

edits: I am a lousy typist.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Agree with Behemouth about the cheese being the likely culprit. FWIW, a few years ago I played around with adding cheese to spätzle batter as part of a cook-off in which the contestants were limited to using goat cheese. The only cheese that produced a desirable texture was chèvre frais, the fresh (i.e. unaged) stuff in logs that seems like it's only a step away from yogurt. The contest's tight deadline didn't leave much time for tinkering with recipes, though, so don't take this as anything more than a data point.

Duh, Damn spelling. Should it be "Spätzles" rather then ""Spätzle"" is it plural?

You got me. Spätzle is (are?) already plural. "spätzles" is an english pluralisation of a German plural.

Sidenote: in German, we know "Kekse" (brownies, etc.) which is derived from "cakes" and then "double-pluralized" with an "e" at the end.

On topic:

there are Italians gnocchi (somehow related to spätzle) made with flour, spinach and - fresh - ricotta. The ricotta replaces the the eggs there.

"Käsespätzle" are made with grated hard cheese, in Switzerland with Emmentaler or Greyerzer (Swiss German word for gruyère :rolleyes: )

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Boris, this is completely off-topic, but did you guys in Switzerland also go through the whole "rechtschreibung" craziness, or was it limited to Germany? I am having a hard enough time learning how to spell, and then they pull this whole thing on me. I still can't figure out which words qualify as long enough to keep the ess-tzet. :wacko:

On topic:

there are Italians gnocchi (somehow related to spätzle) made with flour, spinach and - fresh - ricotta. The ricotta replaces the the eggs there.

"Käsespätzle" are made with grated hard cheese, in Switzerland with Emmentaler or Greyerzer (Swiss German word for gruyère  :rolleyes: )

Yes, these are found in various regions, often with names like "merde di can" (although these are made with swiss chard).

BTW my collegue just said he thinks spätzle (or knöpfle, another expression to simplify matters) are much better when spread, cooled down and rewarmed - or slightly fryed - with butter (and cheese, if you like) in a pan with - important!- covered with a lid. It's convenience food in the old way.

@Behemoth: the idea of the "Neue Rechtschreibung" was simplification, but reforms are seemingly no simple business today. Most of it is optional anyway. Switzerland kicked out the "ess-zet" (ß) long time ago, so I'm not qualified to comment.

Interesting spaetzle recipe Adam; different from most I've seen.

The basic (no fail) spaetzle recipe I make and learned from my Austrian mom is similar to Behemoth's recipe but with a few differences:

2 eggs

1/2 cup water

1/4 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 cups flour (American, all purpose)

1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients; beat well. Make spaetzle...

Interestingly, I sometimes find I need to add even a little more water. The dough should be pretty thin. Some people say to let the dough "rest" for ~ 20 min but I haven't found that necessary. Sometimes later in the batch of cooking them, I add a little more water to the dough to keep it thin.

Most recipes I've seen are pretty similar to this--although they can vary in somewhat surprising amounts re: flour or water. Also have a recipe that uses milk as a small portion of the liquid. I haven't experimented w/different ones as the above works very well to make a 'light' and toothsome dumpling. People play around alot know in flavoring them in different ways---some of the more 'conservative' add ins to the dough are minced, cooked spinach or chopped parsely which I've added to the dough above with success.

Prompted by your post though--I looked thru a few other books I have and did find a recipe that incorporates Quark (or Topfen) ie. Farmer's or Pot Cheese into the spaetzle dough in Bouley's Danube cookbook cowriteen with Melissa Clark and Thomas Schauer. In the "intro" to the dish they don't discuss the origin of this recipe--i.e. is it "traditional" or a Bouley invention. I don't have many German cookbooks, mainly Austrian/Hungarian, so I don't know if this is a common varient in Germany. (non of my Austrian books have it).

Found an e-link to Danube Restaurant's (NYC) recipe here. Again, I haven't tried it yet but will probably do so at some point.

As Boris menitoned these are great "convenience" food-- very easy to make and easy to make ahead. For leftovers or making in advance, I just toss the finished spatzle with a little butter and can then store for several days in fridge. To use-- toss with a little more butter (or browned butter) and warm. (They won't stick!).

Besides baking or tossing buttered spaetzle with gruyere cheese --this dish is nice (and sometimes traditionally) topped with slowly cooked (and thinly sliced) browned onions. (or can use shallots).

...Kluempchen... :smile: (German and Austrian/German cracks me up sometime)

edited to add: American all purpose flour is ~ 12% gluten; I think in England this is called "plain flour".

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

What do you all think of deep fried spatzel?

A colleague of my husband's thinks it great to serve with goulash. We both think it's too heavy.

Haven't tried it, but I think I would agree with you... With something like goulash or something else very saucey I like the contrast of the rather plain, slippery noodles. But then I've never understood old-fashioned Chinese-American restaurant offerings (back East anyway) of fried rice as the rice to serve with a stir fry dish... :smile:

Pan-sauteed (?fried) spaetzle are nice but I would tend to serve them with a simply prepared piece of meat.

I just can't really picture "deep fried" spaetzle, maybe they would be tasty as part of some prep!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

The basic (no fail) spaetzle recipe I make and learned from my Austrian mom is similar to Behemoth's recipe but with a few differences:

2 eggs

1/2 cup water

1/4 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 cups flour  (American, all purpose)

1/2 tsp salt

I like the baking powder idea; it would lighten them up a bit. I can't imagine wanting to deep fry. The main time I get spaetzle is when we have venison with gravy at my SIL's. Great dish but already substantial enough as it is.

I love the onion topping BTW... just sliced and roasted, right?

I was all set for Mexican food before I opened this thread and now I am getting such a serious jones for boiled dough wads. :laugh:

2 eggs

1/2 cup water

1/4 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 cups flour  (American, all purpose)

1/2 tsp salt

I love the onion topping BTW... just sliced and roasted, right?

Saute thinly sliced onions in butter over med-high heat. About half way through season with some s&p. Cook until brown and slightly crisp.

Edited by ludja (log)

Saute thinly sliced onions in butter over med-high heat.  About half way through season with some s&p.  Cook until brown and slightly crisp.

That makes more sense. Thanks.

Actually A will be in Munich next week (leaving me behind! Wah!) so maybe I will wait until then and console myself with a batch. :wink:

THE classic meat served with spätzle is jugged (?) venison: "Hirschpfeffer" and "Rehpfeffer". It's venison marinated for several (up to 10) days. Traditionally, after cooking the venison, the marinade is reduced and thickened with the jus of the roasting and fresh blood. Intensive stuff! It's a seasonal dish (hunting season) and in autumn you'll find it here on the menu list of many, many traditional restaurant.

Standard meat outside of this season are pork/beef/veal roasts.

I think those who invented it centuries ago were not overly concerned with too rich dishes.

THE classic meat served with spätzle is jugged (?) venison: "Hirschpfeffer" and "Rehpfeffer". It's venison marinated for several (up to 10) days. Traditionally, after cooking the venison, the marinade is reduced and thickened with the jus of the roasting and fresh blood. Intensive stuff! It's a seasonal dish (hunting season) and in autumn you'll find it here on the menu list of many, many traditional restaurant.

Standard meat outside of this season are pork/beef/veal roasts.

I think those who invented it centuries ago were not overly concerned with too rich dishes.

Wow, thanks for describing this dish, Boris.

Much of "mountain" food does seem geared to fueling up before some serious outdoor work in the thin air. Still wonderful for apres- or pre- skiing or hiking though! (or anytime in reasonable doses).

Hi All

Worked with a German never really did spaetzle but did lots of gnocci he said they where same just that there batter was thinner and it was chopped of a board into strands, with some thing similar to a pallette knife.

But my real for reason posting was he had a little trick where he melted some butter and added some dried breadcrumbs. Browned them with no bitterness then added the gnocci, I reckon he would of done the same with spaetzle made gnocci fantastic for me, (I just chased the venison sauce after that). Works well on langoustines and cauliflower.

Edited by PassionateChefsDie (log)
Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

Interesting spaetzle recipe Adam; different from most I've seen.

It is a recipe from a book on the food of Alsace. Not sure if it is a representative recipe or not though.

I remade the recipe. The problem is that as the dough comes out of the ricer, the individual 'strands' clump together and they then sink to the bottom of the pot.

I thinned some of the dough/batter, this made it worse.

I thickened some the dough/batter with extra semolina and this improved thinks a great deal.

So I'm thinking that experience is the key. I must have ate a kilo of 'experimental' spaetzle, I feel slightly 'full'.

The recipe Behemoth gave:

200 grams flour

2 eggs

1/2 tsp salt

5 tbsp water

sounds fine… maybe you can add some baking soda if you like, but I don‘t ….a little nutmeg is a good idea too…. The mixture should be pretty dry…thicker than a milkshake for sure. I use an Ikea pasta colander with holes about the size of a pencil. Let the mixture drop through the colander bit by bit into boiling water (you should have to help it through with a rubber spatula). Let it cook for a minute then drain them and dump them into a greased casserole dish. Dot with butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs or poppy seeds and bake at a high temp until light brown. The finished product should be a little dry so it can absorb the sauce.