• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner after the game

Bombdog

My girlfriend gave me tix to a Giants vs Braves game at the end of August. We are staying downtown on Peachtree and looking for some place to go for dinner after the game, either near the ball park or hotel. Any suggestions?

Edited by Bombdog (log)

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

First of all, if we had the name of the hotel, we could be more specific in our suggestions ...

Near Turner Field: discussion of dining options ... nothing terrific though ... :hmmm:

restaurants in close proximity to Turner Field ..

Well, it's the Westin Peachtree Plaza, but it doesn't matter to me if it's near the hotel or near the ball park.

Dave Valentin

a quick list of downtown restaurants with the menus on links :wink:  Personally? I like Azio, Dailey's, and City Grill for some good dining options ...

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Dave Valentin

a quick list of downtown restaurants with the menus on links :wink:  Personally? I like Azio, Dailey's, and City Grill for some good dining options ...

Thanks! Much appreciated!

And, just you watch this space, there will be more suggestions forthcoming, if I know our eGulleters from Atlanta! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

City Grill and Atlanta Grill (Ritz Carlton right across the street from Westin) are both good. There's also McCormick & Schmick's and Ruth's Chris at CNN Center if chains are more your schtick. There's a Morton's a few blocks down from the Westin. Nikolai's Roof is also a few blocks away but is generally regarded as overpriced. There's a Hooters across the street. I haven't been impressed with Azio's and have never been to Dailey's. Ted's Montana Grill is great for burgers.

City Grill and Atlanta Grill (Ritz Carlton right across the street from Westin) are both good.  There's also McCormick & Schmick's and Ruth's Chris at CNN Center if chains are more your schtick.  There's a Morton's a few blocks down from the Westin.  Nikolai's Roof is also a few blocks away but is generally regarded as overpriced.  There's a Hooters across the street.  I haven't been impressed with Azio's and have never been to Dailey's.  Ted's Montana Grill is great for burgers.

Thanks Voodoo!

Dave Valentin

i'd take a short (5 min) cab ride to South City Kitchen.

CitySearch review.

It's an honest, upscale, romantic downtown neighborhood restaurant with pretty dependable, largely interesting Southern food. I've only eaten at a table once, we usually ate at the bar.

and: i haven't eaten there in 5 years, since i moved away. but friends say it's still good, the citysearch reviews are more positive than ever, and it's part of a reliable group of restaurants owned by the same people.

mark

Edited by markemorse (log)

We had dinner tonight at SPOON, which is on Marietta St., not far from the CNN Center. It would be a relatively short cab ride from the game and your hotel. It's a storefront Thai restaurant, but it has something of a clubby vibe. The food is awesome (if you like Thai food) and very fresh. Plus, after dinner you aren't very far (although I probably wouldn't walk) from Northside Tavern which is a hole-in-wall dive that has some of the coldest cheapest drinks in Atlanta and the best blues music anywhere.

Hope that's helpful... I'll keep thinking.

S.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

If you're going to get in a cab, you might as well go to Midtown which is only 3 miles away. There, you'll find some of the trendiest and best restaurants in the city, though you may not find the two in the same restaurant. Way, way, way more quality options in Midtown, though.

go to Midtown...  There, you'll find some of the trendiest and best restaurants in the city...  Way, way, way more quality options in Midtown, though.

Voodoo tells it like it is about dining in Midtown .. should you wish something further on those options, numerous links for Atlanta dining by location.. just click on anything located in Midtown for details.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"