• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP, just sliced good chunk of thumb off

Ah, you were seeking medical advice? I was going to suggest a leek, maybe some tarragon . . .

Kidding aside, I hope it heals thoroughly and quickly. I had a bad gash right on the knuckle of my left forefinger (can't recall what I was doing now); I wrestled with it for days and finally got it to heal without medical attention. It was months ago and apparently there is some scar tissue in a bad place because periodically (and as recently as this morning) I do something that causes pretty serious - but dull - pain.

Oh, if only you could hit rewind and have do-overs, eh?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I cut off the tip of my pinky finger New Year's Eve 2004-2005 with my friend's 10" Wustof Culinar Chef's Knife (ironic twist: the knife was a Christmas gift from me several years earlier.) We wrapped it in gauze and duct tape VERY TIGHTLY and the next day the stump was virtually bloodless. My 'helpful' friends snapped pictures of the flap that I severed and we all went out drinkin'.

It grew back in no time, but it's still more sensitive than my other fingertips.

Then there was the kid who crazy glued his eyelids together.  Docs had to remove his eyelid and replace it with some of his foreskin.  He's OK though, just a bit cockeyed.

Ok, I thought this was serious for a minute. I'm sure there was an audible "ding!" when I realized it wasn't. :wacko:

I once did take a big flap of skin off the back of my knuckle, stuck it back down with Baciguent and gauze and it finally healed up. This was years ago, but every once in a while it still hurts like hell if I bang it. Wonder why that is? Scar tissue pushing against the knuckle bone?

Ouch. Reminded me when I just started this thing called cooking and instead of cutting with my finger tips down and knuckles to the blades, I was cutting with my finger tips up. still surprised that i have all my fingers. but i did slice a pc of my finger tip almost off. that was the lesson that i needed to learn how to cut correctly.

Is anyone else shaking their head at the logic that says:

"I just sliced off part of my thumb and may need medical treatment. Shall I get myself to see a doctor? Nah! I'll log onto eGullet ... they'll know what to do!"

:huh:

A.

"I just sliced off part of my thumb and may need medical treatment. Shall I get myself to see a doctor? Nah! I'll log onto eGullet ... they'll know what to do!"

:raz:

What kind of wuss cook would I be if I ran to the ER for a little bit of missing flesh?

What I really wanted was recipes for Thumb and maybe some plating ideas. :biggrin:

-G

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

:raz:

What kind of wuss cook would I be if I ran to the ER for a little bit of missing flesh?

What I really wanted was recipes for Thumb and maybe some plating ideas. :biggrin:

-G

Heh. The first time I seriously cut myself was in skills class; took off the very tip of the ring finger of my right hand. I got all calm about it, and Chef came over to check it out. He walked me to the sink and said, okay, let's get this cleaned up. I was so green, I didn't even know that the soap was going to burn like hell. After all my carefully cultivated fake calm, I stood there at the sink and grayed out.