• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican & latin american ingredients in Portland

Hey everyone, I'm back in town for a month visiting my parents and I have decided to make some mexican/latin food. My current problem being a source for those hard to find ingredients. I did a couple of searches and browsed through 20 odd pages but nothing turned up, so apologies if a thread of this nature already exists.

Specifically I'm looking for tomatillos, a good selection of fresh and dried chilies, fresh mexican cheeses, a tortilla press, and mexican oregano. Anyone know anything or have any suggestions? I know of one place in Woodburn but am curious to find more.

p.s. anything close to beaverton/tigard is a plus, although distance won't really stop me

Hey everyone, I'm back in town for a month visiting my parents and I have decided to make some mexican/latin food. My current problem being a source for those hard to find ingredients. I did a couple of searches and browsed through 20 odd pages but nothing turned up, so apologies if a thread of this nature already exists.

Specifically I'm looking for tomatillos, a good selection of fresh and dried chilies, fresh mexican cheeses, a tortilla press, and mexican oregano. Anyone know anything or have any suggestions? I know of one place in Woodburn but am curious to find more.

p.s. anything close to beaverton/tigard is a plus, although distance won't really stop me

There's quite a few possibilites on this page.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Might wanna head out of portland to Grande Foods in Cornelius. More information here...

http://www.forestgrovenewstimes.com/news/s...214519119922700

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/i...ll=7&thispage=1

hey Jasie, thanks for that link. I live in SO but when we come up to visit SIL in Aloha, I've ended up going to the Winco for Green Sauce ingredients cuz they're big and have all the stuff. Not always true of the smaller Latino markets.

That Grande looks like they might know what they're doin'. Cool. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The newspaper article listed the addresses of the latino flea markets, but I don't think the online version does. Here are the addresses:

The Oregon Flea Market

18340 SE Stark St

Gresham

11AM to 5:30PM Th-Fr

9AM to 5PM Sa-Su

250 vendors

Fantastic Flea Market

19340 SE Stark St

Gresham

9AM-5PM Sa-Su

140 vendors

M$M Swap Meet