• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco/Napa restaurant suggestions

Big E

In early August, I'll be spending a week in SF and Napa with my family (five of us) for Mom's 60th birthday. Dinner reservations include Range (just my wife and I), Quince (or Delfina), Chez Panisse (Mom's favorite), Redd, Bouchon, and Chez Panisse (again). What do eGulleters think of this itinerary, and the possible sameness of the restaurants that have been chosen so far?

Also, casual lunch suggestions would be helpful for SF, possibly including good ethnic spots - tacos, dim sum, banh mi, etc.

Thanks,

Big E

In early August, I'll be spending a week in SF and Napa with my family (five of us) for Mom's 60th birthday. Dinner reservations include Range (just my wife and I), Quince (or Delfina), Chez Panisse (Mom's favorite), Redd, Bouchon, and Chez Panisse (again). What do eGulleters think of this itinerary, and the possible sameness of the restaurants that have been chosen so far?

Also, casual lunch suggestions would be helpful for SF, possibly including good ethnic spots - tacos, dim sum, banh mi, etc.

Thanks,

Big E

That sounds like a good time. Chez Panisse is great and the menu changes from day to day, so even if you ate there two days in a row, you would have a different menu. However, I would probably try something else. Maybe something like Michael Mina, Fleur de Lys, La Folie, or even Gary Danko.

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

You don't really say where you are coming from... There are some amazing ethnic restaurants in SF which might showcase foods you don't have available in your neck of the woods. Instead of concentrating on an entirely California Cuisine itinerary, consider adding in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mexican, etc...

Three of us will be coming from Boston. Other two from NYC. We've all spent a good deal of time eating in both of those locations. Examples of our favorites in Boston include Oleana, East Coast Grill, Franklin Cafe, Hamersleys. NYC recent favorites include Upstairs at Bouley, A Voce, front room at Gramercy, L'Impero.

For ethnic eateries, my brother and I are huge banh mi fans. I'd love some authentic Mexican choices and any Asian suggestions would be welcome.

Also, my original question involved whether it would if it would be worth substituting a restaurant like Myth (or any other recommended restaurants) with a more unusual menu, for one of the Cal/Ital/French restaurants we've already scheduled.

Thanks.

Edited by Big E (log)

based on some places you like in ny and boston, you might like this place for a casual lunch:

coco500 website

review of coco500

of course, for ethnic...good mexican in the mission just can't be beat! it's been a while since i've been back up there, so i don't have names except my down and dirty favorite "el farolito"...i'm sure others have better ideas.

banh mi can be found on irving street in the inner sunset...and really good pho.

Terra is very good for a nice meal in St. Helena. In SF, we had an excellent experience with Boulevard. Don't miss Domaine Carneros in Napa for a destination winery experience. Plan on spending a bit of time here, the views are beautiful as is the tasting room, excellent Pinot Noir here. :)