• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delmonico's

shugga

Fiddleheads restaurant, on Livingston Ave in Closter has closed. I rode past it the other day

and saw a sign that says Delmonico's Steak and Seafood is coming.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Funny. This is the second time that I see that there are (were) two restaurants in different areas of NJ with the same name. (Note: See the Portabello thread.) There has been -- and still is -- a restaurant called Fiddleheads in Jamesburg for quite a number of years.

Just found out that the people who owned Borderline Bagels on Madison Ave (at the borderline of Dumont and New Milford) are the folks opening Delmonico's.

The bagel shop was there forever and had excellent bagels. Don't know how their steaks will be.

Does anyone remember when Fiddleheads was Susie's Sister back in the eighties.

That spot has been alot of places- used to love it when I was single.

Borderline Bagels does make a good bagel. I 'm looking forward to their new place.

Any idea when it will open ?

Unfortunatly, Yes! Not to worry. It will prolly continue to be a lot of different places in the future! :wink:

Definition of "Restaurant": Method for turning a large fortune into a small one. :biggrin:

Nick

Unfortunatly, Yes! Not to worry. It will prolly continue to be a lot of different places in the future! :wink:

Definition of "Restaurant": Method for turning a large fortune into a small one. :biggrin:

Nick

My dh the barfly (loL) says it opened as suzie's sister in the mid seventies,( It was a rebuild as the old rest.burnt down) and it changed it's name to Suzie's . Closed in 1987/88 > It was supposed to open as Korean rest, the backers ran out of money.. and then finally it reopened as Fiddlehead's. It had a great bar crowd- lots of fun ,thanks to a bartender named Matty who departed NNJ for Disney in the 90's .

I also think it was " the lobster pound" or something like it in the 80's.

enough history.

Yes, I remember Suzie's Sister. Wasn't Leonard's Lazy Lion across the street and south a little ways, in what

became Ruscellos and is now nothing?

Yes, I remember Suzie's Sister.  Wasn't Leonard's Lazy Lion across the street and south a little ways, in what

became Ruscellos and is now nothing?

yes, that's were they were. I had heard that Ruscellos had good food but very slooowwwwww service .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well we finally got to Delmonico's. It's the old Fiddleheads on Schralenberg Road in Closter.

I had heard they were having problems with the kitchen, mixing orders up and very slow going. But, they are open about a month now and we thought around 6:30 on a Fri. night might be OK.

So this past Fri, off we went. I ordered the Jambalaya, which the waitress said was spicy, it was very good but definitely not spicy. My friend had a filet mignon, she said it was very good. Her husband had the prime rib, which was hanging over the plate when it arrived, but he said that half of it was fat, and my hubby had a sirloin which he said was good but not cooked the way he asked. (too well done). The waitstaff seemed to have problems too. They removed the bread and butter from the table, (we thought they were replenishing them) never to be seen again. There was no butter then for the baked potatoes. And it never appeared even when we asked our waitress for some more.

The same thing happened to the cream for coffee. We asked for half and half only to be brought milk. And when we asked again for cream, it came after everyone had finished their coffee and dessert.

I guess every new restaurant has kinks to work out. We will have to try it after the holidays. Hopefully the kinks will be smoothed out by then.

It ain't so new anymore ( I think more like two months). But they've already had a chef change. Dave Marana (late of Saint's Cafe) is no longer in the kitchen. I guess the duo of chefs didn't work out.

Thanks for the report. You are a courageous culinary adventurer :wink::biggrin:

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

• 1 month later...

This restaurant on Schraalenburgh Road in Closter has undergone several incarnations over the years; the latest is Delmonico's. It used to be called Fiddleheads for a while. I drive by about every 2 weeks, and invariable the parking lot has about 50-60 cars!! Usually about 7PM on a weekday. The same was true for Fiddleheads. Anybody been here, and why is this place so packed? And why do they go out of business if they are always so busy?