• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shea Stadium

jrichman

I'll be at a weekend Mets game during the day and I am heading out using public transportation (The 7 Train). After the game I am looking for some good eats - any recomendations - I will only have the subway to use!

The #7 train goes through some of the best eatin' neighborhoods around. Can't give you specific restaurants, but I can give you a general idea of what you might find.

Take the train one stop towards Flushing (you can walk there from Shea as well), and you run into the third largest Chinatown in the country. Aside from a variety of Chinese restaurants, you'll also find Korean and Vietnamese places.

Going back towards Manhattan, if you get off at the 61st St/Woodside stop, there's supposedly a great Thai place. I think it's called Sripraphai.

74th St/Broadway, there are a large number of Indian (I think Jackson Diner is a fav on this board), Columbian, and other Latin American restaurants.

40th St/Lowery in Sunnyside has a couple of good Turkish restaurants.

If you want to transfer to the N line at Queensboro Plaza towards Astoria, you'll find some great Greek, Brazilian, and Egyptian places.

Just a few thoughts. I'll add more if I think of any.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

There is so much good food to be eaten within walking distance of the 7 train. Just off the top of my head and doesn't include Latino food, since I still have to do my Latin-food-tour-of-Queens:

Sripraphai (Thai) - in a word, amazing. My mouth is watering just thinking about how good the food is here. Woodside-61st St. stop, 64-13 39th Ave, two blocks from Roosevelt Ave.

Chinese in Flushing - there's a new thread that Fat Guy started about Chinese food in Flushing - check that out for more places, but I'm a fan of New Lok Kee

Jackson Diner (Indian) - at 74 St.- Broadway stop, 37-47 74th St. just off Roosevelt Ave.

edited to add:

here's the link to the recent posts Chinese food in Flushing: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=90060

Edited by daisy17 (log)

While you're at the game, be sure to go down to the field level and hit up Mamma Corona's for a sub. They're awesome! Also, if you're coming from Manhattan and don't like the length of the 7, take the LIRR out of Penn-- it's about 30 minutes faster than the 7. I'll be there Saturday (I'm a season ticket holder).

There is so much good food to be eaten within walking distance of the 7 train.  Just off the top of my head and doesn't include Latino food, since I still have to do my Latin-food-tour-of-Queens:

Sripraphai (Thai) - in a word, amazing.  My mouth is watering just thinking about how good the food is here.  Woodside-61st St. stop, 64-13 39th Ave, two blocks from Roosevelt Ave.[...]

Have you WALKED from Shea to Sripraphai? If so, how many hours did it take?

As for Main St., it is a rather long and VERY UNPLEASANT walk from Shea. Among the attractions you will pass are junkyards with rusted-out car parts; leaking oil drums; stinky, fetid streams; walkways full of broken glass, and a very small number of weird people who for some reason are also walking on that stretch (couldn't afford the subway?). Take the subway if you're going from Shea to Main St.!

I'd probably go to Spicy & Tasty, but Sripraphai is also a fine idea.

Michael aka "Pan"

I didn't mean to imply that they should walk - thought they'd get back on the 7, but yes - actually walked from Main St. (after having gorged ourselves on lunch), past Shea (Pan's right, it's not so pretty between Shea and Main St.), through Corona Park and down a bustling Roosevelt Ave to Sripraphai, where we somehow managed to get hungry enough for another amazing meal. Detour at the Queens Museum of Art (very cool) and at a bar. So it took us about 4-5 hours with many stops along the way. Keep in mind that we were stretching out the day so we could have Thai food at the end. If we were actually just walking it probably would only have taken a couple of hours, but been a lot less enjoyable.

Edited by daisy17 (log)

As for Main St., it is a rather long and VERY UNPLEASANT walk from Shea. Among the attractions you will pass are junkyards with rusted-out car parts; leaking oil drums; stinky, fetid streams; walkways full of broken glass, and a very small number of weird people who for some reason are also walking on that stretch (couldn't afford the subway?). Take the subway if you're going from Shea to Main St.!

When I was younger, before the days of free transfers, we used to walk from Main Street to Shea. Anything to save a few pennies. Gads, it was scary. Imagine a seven year-old walking that distance, with the #7 train rumbling overhead, past the smelly streams, junkyards, blended in with the aromas wafting from the Tasty baker (now Home Depot). Yeah, take the subway.

I love the #7 train, mainly because it's an elevated line, and you get to pass by so many interesting neighborhoods. Daisy (hey, we were on the same wavelength!), it sounds like you had a good time when you walked to Woodside.

If you can, visit the Louis Armstrong House (I think the 103rd Street stop).

Is Lemon Ice King still good?

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

It is! My parents used to take us there when we were kids, and in the past couple of years I've gone after games at Shea but by car. Not sure how long a walk it is from the 7. If you're there at night, take your ices across the street and watch the guys play bocce . . . .

Lemon Ice King of Corona

52-02 108th Street (at the corner of Corona Avenue and 52nd/Strong Avenue) (111st Street stop on 7 train)

It is! My parents used to take us there when we were kids, and in the past couple of years I've gone after games at Shea but by car. Not sure how long a walk it is from the 7. If you're there at night, take your ices across the street and watch the guys play bocce . . . .

Lemon Ice King of Corona

52-02 108th Street (at the corner of Corona Avenue and 52nd/Strong Avenue) (111st Street stop on 7 train)

If you're going that far, then eat dinner at Park Side. One of the best Italians in NYC - and home to the best chicken dish in captivity. It's across the other street from the bocce ball lanes.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!