• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WHAT SAUCE IS IT?

chowchow23

i always order steamed tofu and veggies at a chinese take out place. i was wondering what is the sauce that comes with it? it's not the brown sauce, it's thick and i was wondering if you guys know how to make it? is it soy sauce? is it oyster sauce? ah helpp

You haven't asked?

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Have you considered asking?

I mean, it COULD be oyster sauce. Or something else. Somthing traditional, that an informed egullet member might recognize and tell you about in this thread... But then again, it could just be a sauce that the cook made up him/herself, and thus the only chance you have of figuring this out, is to ask at the restaurant -- and by so asking, you'd even pay some respect to the cook by taking an interest. Win-win situation.

Go ask em. And report back.

I use several of the sauce recipes found on

This Asia Recipe site.

The "Universal Sauce" found just below the potsticker dipping sauce, is excellent with vegetables and tofu.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett