• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Magret de Moularde, where to buy in Paris?

tristar

Hi All,

In approximately 4 weeks time I will have 18 hours in Paris between flights from Africa to Asia, I would like to buy Magret de Moularde, frozen so that I can take them back to Indonesia, I will be carrying a small Ice Box for the purpose but have no idea where to buy them, I will be staying for the day near the CDG airport and can easily get a train to Paris. I have been to Paris a number of times before but cannot recollect seeing a market anywhere!

Best Regards,

Richard

"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"

Nungkysman: Food for the Body and the Soul.

Hi All,

In approximately 4 weeks time I will have 18 hours in Paris between flights from Africa to Asia, I would like to buy Magret de Moularde, frozen so that I can take them back to Indonesia, I will be carrying a small Ice Box for the purpose but have no idea where to buy them, I will be staying for the day near the CDG airport and can easily get a train to Paris. I have been to Paris a number of times before but cannot recollect seeing a market anywhere!

Best Regards,

Richard

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about a magret de Moularde, but you can certainly buy magret de canard at Picard, a store that carries just about anything you can think of frozen, in case you don't know it.

Some of Picard's things are better than others, but I've generally been pretty happy with most of their products.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Tristar probably means "magret de mulard", mulard being the type of duck that is fattened for foies gras and magrets. If I'm not mistaken, any other duck (not mulard) breast should be commercialized under the name "filet de canard" or "filet de canette". If it's labeled "magret", it is almost certainly from mulard.

To buy it frozen under the best conditions, forget the markets. Do follow Felice's advice and stick to Picard. Their frozen magrets are good. There is a Picard shop in every neighborhood.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

Thanks Felice and Ptipois,

I will try to locate a Picard shop close to my travel route and give them a visit, I have been to Picards website and they do sell 'Magret de Moulard' but apparently not in every store!

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Richard

• 2 months later...

Felice and Ptipois,

Thank you both for your help, Picard located and emptied of Magret! and it was at a discount price. I have made sausages, bacon and prosciutto from the duck and they are superb.

Anybody have a recommendation for a simple french style grilling or frying method of cooking these delights?

Regards,

Richard

I hesitate to jump in with all these experts about, but here's how I do magret.

Cut a criss cross pattern on the fat side. Try to not cut into the meat.

Liberally salt this with coarse sea salt.

Season the meat side to your preference. I like thyme & crushed juniper berries with a bit of pepper, but its your choice.

Place in a medium/low frying pan fat side down & saute for 10-15 minutes. Pour the rendered fat off several times.

When the fat almost stops rendering turn the heat up to high and cook the fat side until it is just nicely browned & crisp.

Now come some options:

1) Turn magret over & still at high heat cook until the meat side is browned. Its normally served quite rare.

2) Same as #1, but our off all fat then start browning. Add 1/2 inch thick slices of foie gras & cook just until browned. Won't take long.

3) After rendering fat put the magret fat side down on your BBQ & brown, turn over & cook meat side.

Favorite sauce is: Ailliade de Toulouse. A mix of walnuts & garlic pounded into a paste in your mortar, then mixed with walnut oil & just a bit of water, then a bit of finely chopped parsley.

I'm sure there are many other ways, but these are pretty classic.

Enjoy

Felice and Ptipois,

Thank you both for your help, Picard located and emptied of Magret! and it was at a discount price. I have made sausages, bacon and prosciutto from the duck and they are superb.

Regards,

Richard

That's great, I am so glad we could help you find them. :smile:

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com