• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jefferson City

We both laughed at what we assumed was a tomato slice served with my burger . . . it was an illustration of what is wrong with our food chain.  It was anemic at the edges and green and pithy inside.  We had passed no fewer than a dozen "tomatoes 4 sale" signs during the last 5 miles of the drive to Jeff City so the irony was not lost on us.  Shame on the kitchen for sending it out; shame on the server for not standing up to them and refusing to deliver it.  Oh well.

Maybe it was some prized heirloom tomato - you know, the ones that fray stale-orange around the fringes and retain a hardy clover green in the middle? Oh, and they taste like wet styrofoam... maybe? :laugh:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

We both laughed at what we assumed was a tomato slice served with my burger . . . it was an illustration of what is wrong with our food chain.  It was anemic at the edges and green and pithy inside.  We had passed no fewer than a dozen "tomatoes 4 sale" signs during the last 5 miles of the drive to Jeff City so the irony was not lost on us.  Shame on the kitchen for sending it out; shame on the server for not standing up to them and refusing to deliver it.  Oh well.

Maybe it was some prized heirloom tomato - you know, the ones that fray stale-orange around the fringes and retain a hardy clover green in the middle? Oh, and they taste like wet styrofoam... maybe? :laugh:

Gee, I think you're right UE. The next time I go down there I'll buy a case and sell them to you at a special eG member rate. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Gee, I think you're right UE.  The next time I go down there I'll buy a case and sell them to you at a special eG member rate. :wink:

Oh thanks - how generous of you! I love the perks of being an eG member! :laugh:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Saw Zesto and it looked quite promising but, time being limited and needing sustenance, we opted a bit "inland."  We parked downtown and cruised a bit but little is open for lunch on the weekend.  Ended up at the Cracked Crab.  It was serviceable.  The S.O. had jambalaya and it wasn't bad but not great.  I had a burger and fries and it was OK, too, but not stellar.  We both laughed at what we assumed was a tomato slice served with my burger . . . it was an illustration of what is wrong with our food chain.  It was anemic at the edges and green and pithy inside.  We had passed no fewer than a dozen "tomatoes 4 sale" signs during the last 5 miles of the drive to Jeff City so the irony was not lost on us.  Shame on the kitchen for sending it out; shame on the server for not standing up to them and refusing to deliver it.  Oh well.

The wedding food was far, far worse.  Fortunately we had a  backyard  blues-n-bbq to stop at once we returned to the metro. Ahhh.

You did the right thing to pass on Zesto for a real meal. It is just a quick place to grab a sweet treat really. I'm sorry about the tomatoes though. It is sad that around here at this time of year, they could not do better.

Edited by Jen1962 (log)