• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jefferson City

I keep seeing tangential references to Topeka, Wichita and all things KS... what about this side of the river? Anything going on in our (Missouri) capital city?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Jayhawkers are passionate, even if that passion is misguided at times.

Missourians are ...um complacent.

:huh: Gee, I don't know which is worse...

... and so the (inedible) tumbleweeds roll on... :laugh:

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

When I was going to college not far from Jefferson City in the late '80s there was the greatest of all culinary delights...

A two-story, all you can eat Taco Bell with table service.

Unfortunately it closed down sometime after I graduated. Coincidence?

Bill Russell

I'm afraid I'm one of the misguided Jayhawker loyalists who has never completely gotten over the whole Quantrill affair. Jeff City is too deep into enemy territory for my appetite. Judging from the responses, I'm guessing I'm not missing much. I've sent money to them for the last 10 years (my employer was located on the MO side) and they've never even sent a thank you note, so there you have it. :raz:

Edited to change tense.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm afraid I'm one of the misguided Jayhawker loyalists who has never completely gotten over the whole Quantrill affair.  Jeff City is too deep into enemy territory for my appetite.  Judging from the responses, I'm guessing I'm not missing much.  I've sent money to them for the last 10 years (my employer was located on the MO side) and they've never even sent a thank you note, so there you have it. :raz:

At least you can take comfort knowing that members of the General Assembly weren't blowing your hard-earned money on lavish meals at fancy restaurants while conducting the people's business.

If you were sending that money to Harrisburg instead, I could offer you no such assurances. (And if they weren't blowing it on lavish meals, the members of the Pennsylvania legislature could have just as easily dropped it on craptacular food at one of the innumerable chain eateries that surround the Pennsylvania capital, or lobbyist-sponsored family junkets to Hershey, about 45 minutes away.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Every once in awhile my family will take the 30minute drive from columbi to Jeff to eat at Das Steing Haus and get some decent german food. Das Stein Haus is a great little family restaurant right off of highway 64, owned by a man named Helmut, I believe. Great schnitzel and rouladen.

as far as steaks go in Jeff City, I've always heard that the Capital Grille is pretty decent, but I've never learned first hand if this is true.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cracked Crab is the only place I've eaten in JC. It was a pretty decent seafood place for the midwest, I remember, but I can't remember exactly what we ate - so it must not have been so awesome. I have friends in JC and one of my company's offices is there, so I'm definitely on the look out, too. :smile:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Well, it's my lucky year, I guess. I just found out I have to attend a wedding in Jeff City in a couple of weeks so, despite my complete lack of interest in their restaurant scene when this thread began, it is now of utmost importance :biggrin:.

I don't think German food really fits the bill when the temp will likely be in triple digits and, assuming that the Capitol Grille is THE Capitol Grille (as in chain) and not A grill that happens to be in the state capitol, that's out. Maybe the seafood place? Or maybe we'll drive around until we see a promising mom & pop/diner/greasy spoon.

If anyone happens onto something between now and the 25th, feel free to share. If not, I'll be the guinea pig it looks like. Why don't people just elope and be done with it? :sad:

Edited to make sense.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I asked around and got some recs.

Madison's Cafe

Bingham's

Alexandro's

Das Stein Haus

These are what friends and coworkers told me, but in general, when asked about JC, everyone (from Columbia anyway) kinda went, "eh...Madison's, I guess," or whatever restaurant. One coworker's daughter was pretty excited about Das Stein Haus, though, because they do a lot of different flambe dishes.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Well, it's my lucky year, I guess.  I just found out I have to attend a wedding in Jeff City in a couple of weeks so, despite my complete lack of interest in their restaurant scene when this thread began, it is now of utmost importance :biggrin:.

I don't think German food really fits the bill when the temp will likely be in triple digits and, assuming that the Capitol Grille is THE Capitol Grille (as in chain) and not A grill that happens to be in the state capitol, that's out.  Maybe the seafood place?  Or maybe we'll drive around until we see a promising mom & pop/diner/greasy spoon.

If anyone happens onto something between now and the 25th, feel free to share.  If not, I'll be the guinea pig it looks like.  Why don't people just elope and be done with it? :sad:

Edited to make sense.

I know there used to be a place called Captial City Steakhouse or capital Cy some thing like that never knew there was a Captial grille there, anyways if all else fails and full blooded jayhawker will feel right at home at the good'ol Kansas famous restaurant Applebee's I know they have one there. I still hate the Jayhawkers for they did to Westport during the war!

I still hate the Jayhawkers for they did to Westport during the war!

OK, there's hate and then there's sending someone to friggin' Applebees! Jeez, monkfish, there are limits. I wouldn't wish that on you!

M.F.K. Fisher

In the past, I've had several nice meals at the Cafe DeVille (in the Hotel DeVille). The hotel's web site has changed, and there is no longer a menu. Haven't been there in a couple of years. If you decide you just want something easy, have a Greek salad and pizza at Arris Pizza downtown(almost right across High Street from the Capitol. They've been around for about 45 years, so whether or not up to east coast standards, they make people happy. If you are interested in country ham, bacon, etc., you might want to take a side trip to Burger's Smokehouse in California (about 20 miles east of Jeff). They've been around longer than I can remember, have had numerous grand champion hams at the MO State Fair. Check their web site at www.smokehouse.com. They aren't open weekends, but do offer tours on weekdays.

• 2 weeks later...
... I like Zesto for ice cream treats.
Now we're talkin'! Zesto, will have to remember that name! Do they make ice cream? Any special flavors? What's their specialty?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Now we're talkin'! Zesto, will have to remember that name! Do they make ice cream? Any special flavors? What's their specialty?

u.e.

No, I don't think they make their own ice cream-it is just soft serve but it has been around a long time. It kind of looks like a dump but you walk inside and order at the window. They have malts, shakes, other ice cream treats and also some sandwiches. It is a local tradition more than anything else. We used to have one in Columbia but ours closed maybe ten years ago--not sure on that. When we are very bored and just want a drive, we'll make the 30 minute drive to Zesto for a Burgers country ham sandwich and a vanilla milk shake. We are easily entertained :raz: I hope I'm explaining this well enough-it isn't gourmet high end ice cream but like the Dairy Maids that used to be all over the Midwest when I was a kid.

u.e.

No, I don't think they make their own ice cream-it is just soft serve but it has been around a long time. It kind of looks like a dump but you walk inside and order at the window. They have malts, shakes, other ice cream treats and also some sandwiches. It is a local tradition more than anything else. We used to have one in Columbia but ours closed maybe ten years ago--not sure on that. When we are very bored and just want a drive, we'll make the 30 minute drive to Zesto for a Burgers country ham sandwich and a vanilla milk shake. We are easily entertained :raz: I hope I'm explaining this well enough-it isn't gourmet high end ice cream but like the Dairy Maids that used to be all over the Midwest when I was a kid.

Sounds like a ma and pa DQ... :raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

u.e.

Sounds like a ma and pa DQ... :raz:

u.e.

Yes, exactly! But since it isn't Dairy Queen, that automatically makes it 100% better by default :smile:

Saw Zesto and it looked quite promising but, time being limited and needing sustenance, we opted a bit "inland." We parked downtown and cruised a bit but little is open for lunch on the weekend. Ended up at the Cracked Crab. It was serviceable. The S.O. had jambalaya and it wasn't bad but not great. I had a burger and fries and it was OK, too, but not stellar. We both laughed at what we assumed was a tomato slice served with my burger . . . it was an illustration of what is wrong with our food chain. It was anemic at the edges and green and pithy inside. We had passed no fewer than a dozen "tomatoes 4 sale" signs during the last 5 miles of the drive to Jeff City so the irony was not lost on us. Shame on the kitchen for sending it out; shame on the server for not standing up to them and refusing to deliver it. Oh well.

The wedding food was far, far worse. Fortunately we had a backyard blues-n-bbq to stop at once we returned to the metro. Ahhh.

M.F.K. Fisher