• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Divine Miss "M"

philadining

Sorry folks - the bar won't be open before our private event on Friday. Saw a few folks tonight and was happy for it. I hope some of you can stop by on Saturday night and say hello and goodbye.

I'll really miss my little eight seat bar. :sad: I'm so deeply saddened by all this I couldn't even bear to post until now. As reported, the staff is all looking for new employment. I'll miss my coworkers as well as our regulars. This is just a crying shame...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

yeah, same here. i blame the baby, spoiling all my dining options for the last few months. on one hand, i've lost weight. on the other hand, i've been missing out on everything, including the coming and going of M. damn.

Add me to the chorus lamenting a great place I never got a chance to try. We wanted to go for our anniversary a couple weeks ago but the babysitter cancelled. Last night some friends were going to give us their reservation but it didn't work out (ended up at Ansill instead--great meal, now I'm nervous b/c it was half empty...it better not close).

Wishing speedy reemployment for the staff. Such a shame.

and I was never able to have the lamb chops again, well, all my own (instead of having to steal bites from the plate across the table)!!

I will think good thoughts for the whole M crew that you turn up again - soon - in a local spot to continue to make our tummies, palates, and livers...smile!

Cheers to you all and thanks for the memories (drat - no pictures of the food from the post-rehearsal dinner...well, we'll never forget!)!

XOXO

Jules and Matt

I had probably the best Valentine's Day dinner I ever had there. Katie made my girlfriend a champagne cocktail (pommegranite and something else puree? Deeelicious) that she still talks about. Good times. I'm sure you'll let us know where you land. Best of luck.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I am another diner who now feels sorry that he never dined at M. Although in our defense we do not make trips to Center City that often.

Good luck to Katie and the rest of the staff.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Aww, this is sad. That little 8-seat bar was a good and friendly place, and much appreciated on my one and only trip there. It sure is a pretty spot, and will do well in its new incarnation, I bet. Katie, land on your feet quickly, and let us all know where we can find you next.

Sorry to hear this. Just checking eGullet for the latest Philly news (I am on Crete) and was disappointed to learn about M, which I had the pleasure of enjoying twice -- once at the bar and once at a table. Great food (awesome scallop appetizer), and nice ambience (great bar service); and I live just a block away. Wish I had dined here more.

Sad indeed. I'd been intending to get down there some time... Guess it wasn't meant to be. Wonder where the chef will land next. Wonder what bar will be graced by Katie's excellent mixology next...

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Yowza. Many thanks to all of you that were kind enough to grace my bar this evening. Once I turned off the weed whacker I think a remember seeing a few of your faces over there on the other side. Aside from having my arse handed to me, it was all in all a fun evening and a rousing send off for M. There was a significant dent made in the bar tonight, but it was for a good cause. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Yowza is right. As Katie said last night, it was more of a wake than a sombre funeral. Most everyone was drinking, laughing and telling stories, rather than weeping in their drinks. We had a little eG get-together dominating the bar, sampling Katie's Corpse Revivers and more...

Chef David Katz is the one who made me a little sad: by sending out a couple of appetizers, he only drove home what a shame it is that this kitchen is closing. Those two dishes were so technically perfect and just plain delicious that I regretted even more that M is only a memory now.

gallery_23992_3286_31441.jpg

Tiny, sweet, delicate oysters were fried to a satisfying crunch, while retaining their inner creaminess. Woodsy morels accompanied, and both were bathed in a luxurious foie gras emulsion. A little thyme oil peeked through, pulling the richness back from the brink. I found myself eating the sauce with a spoon, probably would have licked the bowl if I knew everyone at the bar better.... awesome.

gallery_23992_3286_48832.jpg

Lobster, Corn, Wild MUshrooms: is there a better expression of summer? I don't think there is a better one than what showed up in that bowl. It was light, yet stimulating, with great textural variation, as well as perfect balance of sweet, salt and forest funk.

Here's hoping that chef Katz lands somewhere soon. We really need to be eating more of his food!

Hopefully we can post updates here before long.

Thanks chef, and thanks Katie, for the wonderful food, drinks and hospitality, though for too short a time...

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

The impromptu eGullet party at my bar was the best part of the night. That and juggling the chainsaws and flaming bottles all at once. Whew! :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you that ever stopped in for libation and good cheer. It was truly a pleasure to have you and I hope to extend the same hospitality somewhere else soon. I'll keep y'all posted.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

We all await news of your next posting with bated breath -- and parched throats.

That was a fun sendoff indeed!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Damn, philadining, that food looked great. Too bad we didn't make it earlier so I can steal some of your food.

It was great seeing some eGulleters, and am sad to see "M" go. All we needed was the New Orleans brass band, but otherwise, it was a nice send-off.

David's food and Katie's drinks will be dearly missed. I really regret not having taken advantage of this lovely place more often. Katie, I wish you and the staff luck in your next endeavors.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I know NOTHING about how these things work...however, Astral Plane is on the block and I for one would appreciate David and Katie et al 3 blocks from my house. thanks in advance for your consideration. :wink:

According to Michael Klein..

Astral Plane owner wants $1.75 million for the place.

I should buy some of whatever he is smoking.

In any case that puts it in the realm of real estate development not restaurants.

Anyone who had $1.75 million to buy a crappy restaurant space would clearly just build a restaurant from scratch.

I doubt you will be seeing another restaurant there.

According to Michael Klein..

Astral Plane owner wants $1.75 million for the place.

I should buy some of whatever he is smoking.

In any case that puts it in the realm of real estate development not restaurants.

Anyone who had $1.75 million to buy a crappy restaurant space would clearly just build a restaurant from scratch.

I doubt you will be seeing another restaurant there.

I was certain that my wishful thinking would have necessitated a little fairy dust to make it happen as the price did seem steep (those are some pretty expensive parachute ceiling covers).

The impromptu eGullet party at my bar was the best part of the night.  That and juggling the chainsaws and flaming bottles all at once.  Whew! :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you that ever stopped in for libation and good cheer.  It was truly a pleasure to have you and I hope to extend the same hospitality somewhere else soon.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Meeting the Egulleteers and Katies drinks were the highlight of our Saturday night!

Katie, you definitely have a following, just let us know where and we'll be there -to get our corpses revived, our pomeranians salted and our poms tini-ed!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Philly last Friday night and a friend told me that "M" has closed.

Is this true, did I miss another one?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 1 month later...

Interesting development... rumor has it that former M chef David Katz will take over at Silk City (From the Philly mag blog).

I'm eager to see what the food will turn out to be in this context, but in any case I'll be psyched to be able to enjoy Katz's cooking anywhere!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com