• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Chili Cheese Burger

Daniel

The New Mexican Green Chile Cheese Burger.. A thing of beauty.. Brought to you by:

Nellie's Cafe

1226 W Hadley Ave,

Las Cruces, NM 88005

gallery_15057_1683_1047450.jpg

This might have been the my favorite burger of all time.. It was perfectly charred, on a soft bun covered in cheese and green chiles.. It was during a frenzied road trip so the details are kind of spotty.. But my point is, after not being able to track down an authentic burger in New York green chili burgerI am looking to recreate this awesome burger..

I would love to know the type of chile used and anything else someone could offer..

Also I am interested in reading how people make theres at home.. I would like to know what I should order and where I should order the green chiles from..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel they use New Mexico Green Chiles. You can buy them on the net.

A good person to ask probably would be Harry Hawk, who I believe is an eG member. He runs Harry's at Water Taxi Beach (and the Brooklyn restaurant Shnack) and had to buy 40lbs of them to make Green Chile Cheesburgers for the Gothamist/A Hamburger Today event that ran at the Water Taxi Beach a few weeks ago. I think they got it from here:

http://www.hatch-chile.com/

You can also get it from these guys, in frozen 2lb bricks, but its steep:

http://www.nmchili.com/order_frozen_chile.htm

and from these guys -- who also have Green Chile Salsa, which might be more cost effective:

http://www.hotchile.com/

And they also have this in jars:

http://www.hotchile.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SI.../page=jpgc.html

If you make some... Invite me over, maybe I can help you defray the costs...!

Right now, the Hatch, NM area is in its planting season and wont actually be able to ship FRESH chiles until the end of August. but you should be able to pre-order them shortly.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i think he's ignoring you jason  :wink:

Me too, boohoo... :smile: I also gave sources to order NM green chile on the previous thread and also the best way to approximate the mixture roasting your own chile mix at home if you don't order chiles from NM.

link to previous thread: click

On this link is a pretty basic recipe for green chile sauce (like that probably on the french fries): click

You can also use this sauce on the cheeseburger, but typically burgers are just topped with roasted green chile.

The green chile sauce is also commonly used in enchiladas.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

What, what.. I am not ignoring Jason.. I am researching and using all the information he gave me.. Then I am coming up with a plan of attack.. Geeze you guys.. :biggrin: Besides my obsession with food, I happen to work 9 hour days, have a two hour commute, and have a six year old.

But back to the chiles.. I have found a site that sells frozen peppers too.. Mine are a 5lb bag of frozen chiles for 58 bucks plus whatever shipping is.. Then I have also found a fresh 5lbs of chiles for 16 bucks plus shipping.. That like Jason said, will be ready in like 5 to 6 weeks..

Hmm..

I could definitely see having some of the cost defrayed.. Let me think about the best way to do it.. But something tells me it might have to turn into an all out chile festival..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Sooo worth it, though. :wub:

I have had only excellent experiences dealing with the people at Hatch Chile Express mentioned up-thread. The 14 pounds of chopped frozen green chile for $143. (shipping included) isn't a bad price, as these things go, and you can specify any mix of heat to experiment with. (The chiles are packed in 1-lb. zip-loc bags, with the name and heat level written on them.)

Think of all the other things to try out--enchiladas, green chile stew, etc.

And PS, another great green chile cheeseburger is near the Bosque del Apache bird sanctuary at the Owl Bar and Cafe in (I think) San Antonio, NM.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Get the fresh and roast them yourself- you'll have more flexibility than if you get the chopped (i.e. rellenos). They freeze quite well.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Jason P,

What was your experience with them at the Water Taxi Beach.. Did you have a green chile cheese burger.. Would you do it differently then how it was prepared..

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update from chile country. In SW New Mexico we've been getting record amounts of rain for the past month. One lifelong resident told me yesterday that no one in her family ever remembers getting this much rain. So, yesterday the levees surrounding Hatch broke and the town and many of the fields flooded. What was looking to be a great chile season a few weeks ago, is now looking to be a disaster. We've started seeing some fresh chiles coming out of the fields, but very few. It is still a bit early since the main harvest being in a few more weeks, but now with the fields flooded and saturated, the locals are thinking there won't be many chiles produced.

Here's an update from chile country.  In SW New Mexico we've been getting record amounts of rain for the past month.  One lifelong resident told me yesterday that no one in her family ever remembers getting this much rain.  So, yesterday the levees surrounding Hatch broke and the town and many of the fields flooded.  What was looking to be a great chile season a few weeks ago, is now looking to be a disaster.  We've started seeing some fresh chiles coming out of the fields, but very few.  It is still a bit early since the main harvest being in a few more weeks, but now with the fields flooded and saturated, the locals are thinking there won't be many chiles produced.

The local news here last night showed rivers of rushing water flowing through the streets of Hatch. That same piece mentioned that the Chile crop was spared. It's a milagro! We shall see.

It's been very wet this year, so the chile will not be as hot as dry years. The weather report is for more torrential rain the rest of the week. Not good!

I started a thread in the SW forum to follow developments on this years green chile crop: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"