• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone know how to smother pork chops?

Harry

One of my favorite foods in the world is smothered pork chops (or steak) with rice. My maid cooks it beautifully and I have her recipe, but was surprised and a little disappointed to find out she smothers the chops or steaks in gravy made from a store-bought mix. It works just fine, but I'm an insufferable purist and would like to learn how to make it the right way. If anybody out there has a recipe for smothered pork chops or steak they wouldn't mind sharing I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

Harry

One of my favorite foods in the world is smothered pork chops (or steak) with rice.  My maid cooks it beautifully and I have her recipe, but was surprised and a little disappointed to find out she smothers the chops or steaks in gravy made from a store-bought mix.  It works just fine, but I'm an insufferable purist and would like to learn how to make it the right way.  If anybody out there has a recipe for smothered pork chops or steak they wouldn't mind sharing I would really appreciate it.  Thanks,

Harry

I just Googled your request, and there's tons of recipes to look at. I haven't tried any of them, but you're sure to find something you can make. Clicky

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Harry, my friend, never use the phrase 'my maid cooks it beautifully' and then refer to yourself as insufferable in the same paragraph :laugh: It just opens you up to the taunting of jealous individuals such as myself who are supposed to be cooking dinner right now :biggrin:

I have a number of smothered pork chop recipes...onion smothered, apple smothered...what kind are you looking for? Show us the recipe...that will help narrow down the parameters.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

TIp toes and a soft pillowcase!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Badiane, onion-smothered is what I had in mind. My maid's recipe is to first put a lot of sliced onions in a big skillet and cook them over low heat in a little butter with the lid on. Then she seasons, flours, and fries the meat, just a minute or two on each side. When the meat is browned she puts it in the skillet with the onions. Then she adds water to the McCormick's brown gravy mix, cooks it down just barely, pours it over the chops and the onions, and cooks it a low simmer until the meat is almost falling off the bones. If the gravy gets too thick before the meat is cooked enough, she adds a little water.

Not a bad recipe at all and I never would have guessed the gravy wasn't the real thing had she not told me. I guess the long simmering with the pork chops and onions gives it some flavor it wouldn't otherwise have. Does that sound similar to your recipes, aside from the gravy?

Harry, try this recipe: Pork chops in Guiness Stout Gravy.  You won't be sorry.  You can easily add rice on the side.

Looks good, Marsha, I'm definitely gonna try that one. I would like to clarify, however, that there is a difference between the bottled (non-widget) Guinness and the draft (and canned) stuff and that this recipe (written in 1989) was intended to utilize the bottled extra-stout version ( higher gravity, more flavor).

Actually, I see myself using some Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout which has a nice buttery undercurrent.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

That one definately looks good Marsha. It just went on my list to try!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Here's what I do:

Brown the well-seasoned chops in a large skillet or dutch oven. Remove them to a plate, add more oil to the skillet if necessary, and add a large sliced onion, some celery, bell pepper and garlic. Let the vegetables brown and pick up the brown goodies on the bottom of the pan. Season with whatever herbs you like with pork - I like thyme. Deglaze with some white wine, add some stock, either chicken or beef, and the juice from the chops that has accumulated on the plate, then thicken with a flour/water slurry. Add chops back to pan, cover and let simmer over low heat for about an hour. Or, bake them in the oven at about 300 degrees for the same time. Enjoy

Stop Family Violence

I always use lots of onions in my smothered pork chops, but sometimes use apple juice as my liquid of choice in the cooking process. I saw Paul Prudhomme do it on his old cooking show. When I don't use apple juice, I use wine or chicken stock. It's all good.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Heck, my mom used to add a can of Cream of Mushroom soup to the pan after browning the chops, then doctored it up, and it was pretty good!

Edited by franktex (log)

Frank in Austin

This recipe, originally by Paul Prudhomme, is a baked version that is one of the best I have ever tasted.

southern smothered pork chops

I make smotherd pork chops but first make the gravy with pork fat trimmings, chopped very fine, rendered in the fry pan then add chopped onion with a little garlic and a touch of lemon zest, brown the onions, cover, reduce the heat and cook on very low heat until the onions are carmelized.

Meanwhile I have marinated the pork chops with a little fruit vinegar and seasonings, (you should use the seasonings you like best, I like a spicy mixture with sage but it is not for everyone).

When the onions are deep brown and very soft and sweet, I scrape most of the stuff into a sauce pan,

if necessary add a little fat (bacon drippings by choice) to the fry pan, sprinkle in 2 heaping tablespoons of flour and stir well until browned.

Now, you can add hot water or a mixture of water and milk, or straight milk and stir well to blend.

Add this to the sauce pan with the onions and place over low heat, covered.

Scrape the fry pan - add more drippings and bring up to high heat.

Now drain the chops and pat dry with a paper towel. Dust very lightly with flour.

Place in the fry pan, brown well on both sides, add 1/4 cup of water, cover tightly and reduce heat.

Cook for 20-25 minutes depending on thickness of the chops.

Add the gravy/onion mixture from the saucepan cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.

Serve over rice or boiled new or fingerling potatoes split in half.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett