• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rob Feenie and Harmony Airways

Vancouver

That city bus ad has generated a lot of traffic in his restaurants. Oh, and John Bishop has had his face on a city bus as well. He's no idiot.

I guess that it depends on what you think that he is losing in his reputation, by having his advertising on a bus. That particular type of advertising is very effective. It reaches a lot of people. Thinking that it detracts from his image just sounds downright predjudiced to me. Like what...you consider his image to be classy? And busses aren't classy? Sillyness.

I would think that the dancing chef ad on the food network would do more damage to his rep....

but those are part of the contract when you have a show, and Rob can be a character, and perhaps he needed to convey to people that he is approachable.

Whatever. Harmony might work to his advantage. Might not.

Edited by Irishgirl (log)

How much does the HSG celebrity chef charge for a celebrity appearance?

[sarcasm on]

HSG Chef Neil Wyles joins Air Canada, courtesy of Harmony Airways

Vancouver, BC, July 17, 2006: Vancouver-based Harmony Airways is pleased to announce Canada's own GBP Chef, Neil Wyles, will apply his culinary expertise in flight at 39,000 feet as the new executive chef for Air Canada.

Wyles, the GBP Chef North America champion and restaurateur of Vancouver's award-winning Hamilton Street Grille has created a menu of steakhouse inspired appetizers, entrees, deserts and wine pairings now being served on all Air Canada routes that still serve food free of charge.

"Harmony Airways is proud of being a Vancouver-based carrier, and we try to make sure we maintain a competitive edge over our arch rival Air Canada. Having Neil Wyles take over their menu will give us a strong advantage on the culinary front. It was difficult to reach Nyles, but once we got through to his frequently disconnected cell phone he was happy to join the cause," said the head of market strategy for Harmony Airways.

"I just like to do my part to preserve my financial future, and helping attack the Air Canada brand is my little way of investing in my family's future," said the cranky Nyles.

This deal comes on the heels of a recent deal completed by Translink to have Chef Nyles remove his photo from all public transit in the Greater Vancouver area for which he received an undisclosed amount.

Harmony Airways is an industry leader in full-service, competitive air travel, offering full meal service, complimentary wine and comfortable leg room in every seat. Harmony's fleet of four 171 seat Boeing 757 aircraft includes harmonyone business class, featuring Rob Feenie's menu, wines, personal on-demand entertainment and luxurious wide leather seats.

[/sarcasm off]

Edited by Vancouver (log)

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I was thinking about putting my face on the ass end of a bus. People here certainly remember who is on the back of a bus.

I wish I was about to pen a new deal with an airline but alas, no it is not true. The closest I would come to the that is providing a new coating to go on your bag of peanuts.

Whatever, take the money and run Rob !!!

This certainly does not detract from how good the food at Lumiere is. It just gives him more exposure to people who are interested in that sort of thing.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I will have no problem saying yes to anyone who wants to use my recipes and have me show up for a photo shoot, for gobs and gobs of money.

Seriously, call me.

I'm here now.

Waiting.

By the phone.

I'm still waiting.

You mean you won't do a photo shoot from the goodness of your heart to say help out with promoting special dietary needs.... :biggrin:

You mean you won't do a photo shoot from the goodness of your heart to say help out with promoting special dietary needs.... :biggrin:

Get out! You have a web site or series of web sites that focus on restaurants that cater to special dietary needs in Vancouver, Seattle, Victoria and Ontario?? You should be like Feenie and promote those web sites somehow. Maybe a food oriented on-line forum or something like that. :hmmm:

A.

PS - Like good food, Feenie rocks!

Get out! You have a web site or series of web sites that focus on restaurants that cater to special dietary needs in Vancouver, Seattle, Victoria and Ontario?? You should be like Feenie and promote those web sites somehow. Maybe a food oriented on-line forum or something like that. :hmmm:

A.

PS - Like good food, Feenie rocks!

You rock to A. ps you forgot to mention that it is free sign up.

Somehow this entire thread brings out the sarcastic side in everyone. See what you have done, Feenie!!!!!!! You've turned the normally loveable egullet-folk into a sarcastic bunch of brats. (Me included.)