• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris guides to restos/entertainment

mzimbeck

As John Talbott discussed here, the weekly Paris guide Zurban sadly folded last month.

This sucks for many reasons, among them the loss of a quirky good restaurant section. Its "competitor" Periscope has mostly paid restaurant advertisments and isn't in the same league.

I fear that I know the answer to this, but other than this forum (and other sites to which Talbott contributes) is there any other decent compliment/replacement to the now-defunct Zurban?

:sad:

Edited by mzimbeck (log)

Meg Zimbeck, Paris by Mouth

As John Talbott discussed here, the weekly Paris guide Zurban sadly folded last month.

The sucks for many reasons, among them the loss of a quirky good restaurant section. Its "competitor" Periscope has mostly paid restaurant advertisments and isn't in the same league.

I fear that I know the answer to this, but other than this forum (and other sites to which Talbott contributes) is there any other decent compliment/replacement to the now-defunct Zurban?

:sad:

Sure - Figaroscope except for July & August. Not as jazzy as Zurban, but adequate for art, esp.

Pariscope is best for movies, gardens, events.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I have read that Hachette is considering creating a web-based equivalent to Zurban, or shifting the focus of Pariscope to make it a little more like Zurban in terms of content. I'm not sure they'll have the budget for either of these projects, but it would be nice if they did.

Other than that, there's the free weekly A Nous Paris in the metro on Mondays or Tuesdays. Not as good as Zurban, and not as good as it used to be, but they do mention events, restaurants, etc. (And John Talbott usually includes these restaurant reviews in his digest.)

Clotilde.

Edited by Chocolate & Zucchini (log)

I have read that Hachette is considering creating a web-based equivalent to Zurban, or shifting the focus of Pariscope to make it a little more like Zurban in terms of content. I'm not sure they'll have the budget for either of these projects, but it would be nice if they did.

I also read that they were considering creating an online version of Zurban. I hope it’s true, but can’t imagine it will be as good as the print version. I guess we will have to wait and see. I’m still weary of the reviews in Pariscope and wonder if they are little more than paid advertisements.

Was Hachette the owner of both Zurban and Pariscope?

I have always liked A Nous Paris and Figaroscope, but am definitely mourning the loss of Zurban. There’s also the Fooding website.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I also read that they were considering creating an online version of Zurban. I hope it’s true, but can’t imagine it will be as good as the print version. I guess we will have to wait and see. I’m still weary of the reviews in Pariscope and wonder if they are little more than paid advertisements.

Was Hachette the owner of both Zurban and Pariscope?

I have always liked A Nous Paris and Figaroscope, but am definitely mourning the loss of Zurban. There’s also the Fooding website.

It is indeed ironic because Zurban started as an online pub, and yes they're both owned or were owned by Hachette which used that as an argument for closing Zurban, at least according to the article in Le Figaro. As readers of the Digest may have noticed, because Hachette implied they were beefing up Pariscope's Resto section, I've been digesting it since Zurban folded but I'm not convinced they're willing to devote the resources to reviews of new restos and bars that were so popular in Zurban according to my sources.

John Talbott

Perhaps we could start a "bring zurban back to the people" petition?

Bethala and mzimbeck - Thanks for the kind words! :)

Hah, you think Hachette would listen to the likes of us, don't I wish.

I too would like to welcome you now that I've figured out that you're the author of that fabulous blog.

To add to this thread, however, I should note that two other resources, more or less weekly on restos/entertainment are TimeOut's On Line version and Spectacles that I find a cheaper and paler imitation of Pariscope. Two other pubs that have restos and events in English, that our colleagues/members contibute to are Rosa Jackson's Paris Bites in Paris Notes and Fresh_a's resto reviews in Gogo Paris that used to be hard copy and now is on line.

PS I check them out weekly for the Digest.

John Talbott

GoGo anyone?

They will be relaunching next week as a fully English online guide to Paris. With some reviews by yours truly...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

GoGo anyone?

They will be relaunching next week as a fully English online guide to Paris. With some reviews by yours truly...

Oh, thank goodness. I couldn't bear the thought of losing both Zurban and GoGo in the same summer.

(I even emailed the editor today before reading this to ask where in the world they had gone)

Looking forward to your reviews!

Meg

Meg Zimbeck, Paris by Mouth

Another to add to the list is En Ville, another free publication that comes out a few times a year. I just picked up the summer edition which has a short piece on Inaki Aizpitarte --who is everywhere this month--and lists a few of his favorite places (which I'm sure John will list in his digest, so I'll leave it to him).

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Another to add to the list is  En Ville, another free publication that comes out a few times a year.  I just picked up the summer edition which has a short piece on Inaki Aizpitarte --who is everywhere this month--and lists a few of his favorite places (which I'm sure John will list in his digest, so I'll leave it to him).

Thanks Felice, but I'm not sure how widely distributed it is because I've only seen it in the Marais at that bookstore on rue des Archives.

John Talbott